CBC4 Semifinals: Hoarfrost vs Mango Grango

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

CBC4 Semifinals: Hoarfrost vs Mango Grango

Post by Madman » Sun May 24, 2020 2:04 pm

Me: 8/7/3/1/11(+2 plow)
Him: 4/2/1/16/7

13 armour plow with angled edges, meet horizontal spinner. Armour with tons of hazards, meet 4 speed bot with C-tier control and a 7 armoured body, courtesy of an 8 speed bot.

Alex is gonna:

1) Tombstone bait. Counter by going after his weapon specifically, by flipping him the second I'm under his rear, or by feinting. Go at his back and reverse immediately as he swings around. Then scoop him up on the plow.

2) "Be aware of angles" and "try to position myself so I recoil into open space" or whatever. He'll try to use the angles of the arena to pull a Blood Eagle with impacts spinning him around an obstacle so he can play keepaway and spin back up. Counter by using my MUCH better drive to control where hits happen, to chase him down with extreme speed, and to keep him in areas of the arena where it'll be hard for him to use angles and get space effectively.

3) Make some design-based case for why Hoarfrost sucks and doesn't work. Counter by... IDK fam, it's worked pretty well so far.

Come out and hit him. Stay on him and be Hellhound. This arena's large but it doesn't have a lot of actual open space. Use my speed edge to ensure an optimal impact angle so he goes into walls or hazards. Try to trigger hazards and the pit by shoving or flipping him into them once I have him on my plow. Push him while I can and, when he starts to hook away, flip to unbalance him and interrupt his maneuver. Scoop him back up and shove him into the pit/murdersaw. Always watch for baiting (flip only when I'm under or when he's got his back to me), the Tombstone sweep, and trying last-second jukes to get me into the hazards or pit instead. Counter with common sense, a much better drivetrain, and flips, if needed.

GL
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: CBC4 Semifinals: Hoarfrost vs Mango Grango

Post by The Monsterworks » Sun May 24, 2020 11:02 pm

Magnolia Grande: 4 speed / 2 traction / 1 torque / 16 weapon / 7 armour - upper wedge teeth on, figurehead on for maximum height in overcutter mode
vs.
Hoarfrost: 8 speed / 7 traction / 3 torque / 1 weapon / 11 armour (+2 HUGE plow)

This is the fight that Grande's built for, what with the unique power curve of its ICE spinner faring better in glancing impacts. The arena could be better, but we can use that to our advantage too. So, let's take a moment to go through what Laz will expect before we get to his bot's one glaring weakness:

1. Tombstone baiting. He does it with Blood Eagle, I do it with Grande.

2. Running in reverse and general baiting.

He'll get virtually none of that. This arena gives me free spin up, so I'm going to do that while using his aggression against him. Come out as an overcutter and place myself in that pinch point between the log rollers in front of the murdersaw trigger and the murdersaw track itself.

Laz won't be able to resist the idea of slamming me into the trigger. I'd bet the house on it. Use my ample ground clearance to back into it myself just before he arrives and to create a slight angle so that two things happen as he plows into me:

1. The murdersaw turns on.
2. I'm at the right angle and spinning in the right direction to punt him into its path.

He can't self-right. With that massive plow on and only one power, it's basically a complete physical impossibility. Best case scenario: the Murdersaw flips him and he's now stuck inverted. His ability to push me is effectively nil. My very long blade slips beneath him and punts him around easily for the rest of the match. If I'm not that lucky, he at least eats a hit from the murdersaw and I either get a chance to hit his rear while he recovers or he gets spun off in a random direction, probably doesn't recognize the full extent of my plan yet, and I have some time to recover and reoccupy that spot. Try again.

If this doesn't do it, prioritize keeping my weapon spinning. Use my direction of spin and the U-shape of the arena to play keepaway with him, Blood Eagle style. Threaten the occasional tombstone bait, charging at him in reverse but, instead of stopping and swinging, turn about 25 degrees just before contact and keep reversing to pass alongside him and swing my weapon in that way. When he's wise to that, Tombstone bait legitimately. When wedged, hook the hell off immediately. He has a large drivetrain advantage, but I still drive faster than he pushes. Whenever I'm at full power, I want our engagement speed to be as high as possible. I want my blade to ride up those last couple inches over top of his wedge and the upper teeth (which'll be facing downwards in overcutter mode) to tear into the back/corners of it. Also, present no baiting threat at all until late in the match when he's no longer expecting it. Get him to misfire his flipper and dart in to mangle his innards.

Good luck!
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!