Debate on albums

Get with the beats, the riffs, the harmony, or if you wanna go to hell, Phil Collins.
succotash_54

Debate on albums

Post by succotash_54 » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Over the past year, when the Sex Pistols were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. I remember asking my co-worker, "How many other acts can say they could have made the Hall of Fame on the strength of one album alone?" This actually led to a decent discussion. So....your thoughts? Obviously the Sex Pistols, because they really did make it on one album alone: "Nevermind The Bollocks, Here Come The Sex Pistols"

My other thoughts include:

Velvet Underground--their first album (the name escapes me)

Michael Jackson--Thriller let's face it, yeah, he released a lot of other stuff, but this is THE album that cemented his legacy forever

Pink Floyd--Dark Side Of The Moon Their other albums speak volumes, but this is the one everyone points to

Beatles--Sgt. Pepper's.... This one's a tough call, any group not firmly established could not have released an album like this at that time, plus Rubber Soul and Revolver are great albums that show the evolution of the Beatles sound at that time.... but I think they could have gotten in for this one alone.

Bob Dylan-- The Times They Are A-Changin' Good grief, how many albums has Dylan had? I think his new one coming out is number 30 or something like that, but everyone still keeps harking back to this one.

Any thoughts on the topic?

Area51Escapee

Debate on albums

Post by Area51Escapee » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:54 am

I agree with most of that. I might tend to think The Beatles were almost equally influencial in many of their albums (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road, etc) not just Sgt. Pepper. However, a great album by an artist will be what people remember.

I think albums like U2's "The Joshua Tree" and Nirvana's "Nevermind" are up their, too, but I don't know whether they made the rock and roll hall of fame yet.

succotash_54

Debate on albums

Post by succotash_54 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:08 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Area51Escapee</dt><dd>Sep 11 2006&#44; 11:54 AM</dd></dl><div> I agree with most of that. I might tend to think The Beatles were almost equally influencial in many of their albums (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road, etc) not just Sgt. Pepper. However, a great album by an artist will be what people remember.

I think albums like U2's "The Joshua Tree" and Nirvana's "Nevermind" are up their, too, but I don't know whether they made the rock and roll hall of fame yet. [/quote]
Nirvana's not eligible yet, but yeah, I'd willingly put "Nevermind" on that list too, once they get inducted, and they will.

The Joshua Tree....I thought about that. Truly an epic and landmark album, but I didn't include it because Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride (In The Name Of Love) hold almost as much weight together as the The Joshua Tree as an album, not to mention I Will Follow, which really kicked things off for them. Truly there was nothing like The Joshua Tree in 1987 when it came out, and that really makes it viable to maybe. Also, most U2 fans list Achtung Baby as their favorite album, and it yielded more Album rock hits, too, so really, Achtung Baby would be a better argument.

Fish Of Doom

Debate on albums

Post by Fish Of Doom » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:39 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>succotash_54</dt><dd>Sep 12 2006&#44; 02:08 AM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Area51Escapee</dt><dd>Sep 11 2006&#44; 11:54 AM</dd></dl><div> I agree with most of that. I might tend to think The Beatles were almost equally influencial in many of their albums (Rubber Soul, Revolver, Abbey Road, etc) not just Sgt. Pepper. However, a great album by an artist will be what people remember.

I think albums like U2's "The Joshua Tree" and Nirvana's "Nevermind" are up their, too, but I don't know whether they made the rock and roll hall of fame yet. [/quote]
Nirvana's not eligible yet, but yeah, I'd willingly put "Nevermind" on that list too, once they get inducted, and they will.

The Joshua Tree....I thought about that. Truly an epic and landmark album, but I didn't include it because Sunday Bloody Sunday and Pride (In The Name Of Love) hold almost as much weight together as the The Joshua Tree as an album, not to mention I Will Follow, which really kicked things off for them. Truly there was nothing like The Joshua Tree in 1987 when it came out, and that really makes it viable to maybe. Also, most U2 fans list Achtung Baby as their favorite album, and it yielded more Album rock hits, too, so really, Achtung Baby would be a better argument. [/quote]
If we're going to start going into albums from the 90's, I'd say Nine Inch Nails deserves a spot solely for The Downward Spiral, which is the best album of the 90's and perhaps all time.

And am I the only one who thinks that Nirvana would have faded into obscurity with all the other grunge bands from the early 90's that no one remembers had Kurt not died?

Same with Sublime. Sublime fucking sucks, but oh, singer killed himself, he must be a genious&#33;

succotash_54

Debate on albums

Post by succotash_54 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:33 pm

Well, Nine Inch Nails, I'm hesitant to comment on. One of the reasons is that I'm not too familiar with NIN stuff. I'm also not really willing to get into the 90s yet, but it looks like we're already there. But really, with the 90s, it's also hard to tell yet which albums are really all that monumental. I mean, I'm looking for those that are both critically acclaimed by a wide gamut industry professionals AND well-selling, plus are influential. As I said, the last is hard to tell at this point.

But that gives me another great idea for a thread&#33;