Motor Powered Hammer Anyweight? Possible?

Speak freely but don't be stupid about it or you'll find yourself on the last train to Clarksville, ya dumbass.
doom_force

Post by doom_force » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:13 pm

I've gotten this idea in my head. A Beta style ant. I saw Sunshine in the ARC FRC, whatever this version is called, and saw this as an ant. If at all possible, I'd like to hook my speed 400 up to a hammer arm and be able to swing it forcefully back and forth, or even just one way.

Would I be able to simply hook the arm up to the motor a la a timing belt with the motor on a regular two way ESC? Or would that not move it fast enough/not be strong enough to withstand blows? Some input would be appreciated on making a hammerbot antweight.

StarlessSoldier

Post by StarlessSoldier » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:23 pm

It's already been done (Micro Frenzy). However I believe MF only had like a 140 or 180 powering the hammer. Your idea is entirely feasible, but I'd go with a gear set up for no slipping at all to give maximum impact.

Fish Of Doom

Post by Fish Of Doom » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:41 pm

I couldn't imagine a hammer working well in the antweights due to weight. How much damage is a say 4 oz weight going to do to titanium or carbon fiber.

StarlessSoldier

Post by StarlessSoldier » Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:42 pm

Exactly. The design principles are easily sound, but the functional application isn't there.

Minion33088

Post by Minion33088 » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:57 pm

You could make it like Chop Chop at Pennbots. He has a type of cam system I think he called it.

doom_force

Post by doom_force » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:34 pm

I remembered MF doing a hammer deal back in the dawning age of ants, not doing much. And the point of effetiveness came up when I was thinking about him, how a hammer really wouldn't do much just swinging, I'd need something more powerful.

Off to the drawing boards for me now, to somehow develop a cam system for his hammer.