R5 Week 2 SHWs: Boreas vs Big Boy Flaily

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

R5 Week 2 SHWs: Boreas vs Big Boy Flaily

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:03 am

Boreas: Speed 5 | Traction 4 | Torque 1 | Weapon 12 | Armor 8

Big Boy Flaily: Speed 3 | Traction 3 | Torque 1 | Weapon 15 (14 spinner, 1 retraction mechanism) | Armor 8 (+1 rear shield)

CONFIGS: Using normal config.
Yeah, no fancy anti-spinner plow. His weapon’s way above it so it won’t do anything anyway.

This probably comes down to the first hit. If I can “catch” his flail heads on my drum it should deflect / uppercut them and kill all his angular momentum and maybe destabilize him, but if I get my belt or weapon supports sniped I’m in trouble.

DON’T box rush: let us both spin up, note which way he’s going and watch to see if his flail’s fully extended. I don’t want him suddenly “dropping” it further out. If it looks full-extension, run into the radius of the flail at a moderate closing speed and turn / aim the center of my drum for the edge of that circle at an angle – so that his heads are coming at my face instead of directly sideways. If he’s leaving extra “slack” he’s probably planning to let it out, so try to aim to hit the flails with the part of the drum that’s closer to his center to leave extra margin for error if his radius suddenly gets bigger. I don’t think he can retract them against the “centrifugal” force fast enough to do it the other way around. Obviously this is gonna be tricky to do to a moving target, but it gives me a better shot than letting him sideswipe me.

If I can get his weapon destabilized, charge in and hit him, preferably on the sides or shield end. If I’m anywhere near full speed I can punt and hopefully flip him. If not, jamming my stopped drum in his face should either block him spinning up even when fully retracted or mean he can’t hit me at anywhere near max “tip speed.” Push him into the corner and let the hammer fall on his shell, then back up and full weapon throttle the instant I’m not touching him. I think I can get enough rpm to flip him faster than he can get his weapon spun up and extended enough to shield him when he starts stuck in a corner, he’ll have no room to avoid a “box rush” from like 10 ft away, and if he tries to rush me instead I have a faster bot.

If my weapon gets killed, jam him up, push him into walls/hammers, and run the clock down. All the drivetrain parts of my bot I think are too low for him to hit, so I can keep passively using the drum as a shield and he’ll have a very hard time KO-ing me.

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Re: R5 Week 2 SHWs: Boreas vs Big Boy Flaily

Post by attackfrog » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:32 pm

Oh boy I'm up against the mighty HFL. And this match is going to be explosive. I'm going to go wedgelets first, both to make it harder for HFL to get Boreas underneath BBF and throw it and to potentially use them as sacrificial ablative armor and keep BBF alive a little longer. Luckily for me, HFL doesn't have a way to do the same. I'll spin up with the flails partially extended, such that Boreas won't be able to get to the body of BBF without hitting them, but not all the way out. I'll move away from the wall a bit as I do so. Contact with Boreas will either be with its weapon supports, which ought to mess them up a bit, or with its drum teeth, which should hit the flails up but not knock BBF off balance in the way a regular overhead spinner would be. There's no way Boreas is coming out of the interaction totally unscathed, but if I'm lucky it might be knocked aside before getting to the Boy.

So in a way, this is an attempt at being a matador: spin up, knock Boreas away as it comes at Big Boy Flaily. Position BBF as best I can to do this, keeping the wedglets p[ointed at it to do this. Repeat until Boreas is exhausted and limping and finally, dead. Of course, this being HFL, this won't be that easy: if/when Boreas gets in and hits BBF, keep the spinner going to avoid being flipped over. Even if BBF's pushed against the wall, it can still spin up, and extending the flails from there should at worst hit Boreas and the wall at the same time. So uhh... spin to win, baby!

GLHF HFL.