Robot Fight Night: Mini

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

winternimbus
Team: Team Foxtrot Uniform

Robot Fight Night: Mini

Post by winternimbus » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:02 pm

ROBOT FIGHT NIGHT: MINI

i return to ARC after nearly ~3 years of silence. whoops ! my track record of tournaments is (understandably) not great, but considering the state of ARC at the moment. fuck it. we're back.

TOURNAMENT INFO

everyone enters 2 robots, one lightweight (60 pounds / 27.20 kilograms), and one middleweight (120 pounds / 54.5 kilograms). they will have to assign 30 points between 5 stat categories--those categories being Speed, Traction, Torque, Weapon, and Armor.

to keep it light and simple, this is a double elimination tournament. i have a right to say no if i believe a design is a loophole, but ofc--i will be fail. hopefully this doesn't happen, though.

there's a soft 400 word RP limit. keep it quick, simple, and digestible more or less. follow basic human decency, i.e. don't be a dick about things, don't complain and whine in the discussions thread. you know the deal. i hope this doesn't happen, but if someone DOES do it--i have a legal precedent to disqualify you. if you see traces of foul play, ill-willed shenanigans, and incivility--contact me. something something, sometimes "spin2win" is enough.

we will be following the Official ARC Ruleset, which you can read up HERE.

the ROBOT4 repeated hits damage rule applies here--which is explained down below.
If Your Weapon equals your opponent’s Armor, you will still be able to break through that armor in 12 hits. For every point of weapon you are below their armor, it will take 2 additional hits. For every point of weapon you are above their armor, it will take less hits to puncture an opponent’s armor, as noted here:
damage: 0>1>2>3>4>5>6
hits: 12>10>8>6>4>2>1
These rules are guidelines for the approximate time it will take you to destroy a single location on your opponents: situations in-match may adjust the exact numbers, and if yall flame writers for not saying the exact numbers of hits and shit, don’t expect to get away with it.

Flails will not benefit from repeated hits.
i'll be tentatively running a new rule as suggested by mystic and HFL on the discord--robots using "brazil wheels" (i.e. heavy wheels designed to withstand spinner blows, a la black dragon, sawblaze, and copperhead) will have to assign a spread of 29 points, due to one point of armor being dedicated to the robot's wheels in order to eliminate the extra damage, and to emulate the cost of said "brazil wheels" being fairly heavy.

to note, any robot that uses brazil wheels in any way, regardless if one set of wheels are standard wheels--and the other being brazil wheels, falls under this rule due to utilizing brazil wheels on the robot.

the current signup deadline is roughly May 20th, 2023. this may or may not change depending on the current amount of people signing up for the tournament, and how many writers pitch in. executive dysfunction may or may not get in the way of results being posted.

the tournament will start at about somewhere in June 2023. this is not static, and this date may or may not be extended.

THE ARENA
The Arena Formerly Known As "Goofy's Gladiator Pit"
Neophyte Redglare (red square), and Lotus Flower (blue square) compare the middleweight sizes in the starting square, showing the scale of The Arena Formerly Known As "Goofy's Gladiator Pit" (or just The Arena) for short. with the power of imagination, imagine there's lexan paneling outlining the exterior of the arena, because me in 2019-2020 couldn't be arsed to CAD that up.

the hazards of the arena include--but are not limited to the time-honored killsaws, these are sawblades that rise up from the slots that do a gnarly 7 points of damage once they're up and out when a robot drives over them. these are active throughout the whole match, so keep your eyes peeled.

there are angled wedges in the corners of the arena serving as points to high center and/or pin your opponent. OOTA walls are also a thing here, the main walls surrounding most of the arena allow a 6-7 power or so flipper can get a decent flip out of bounds here. the lower OOTA walls that surround the wedges, however--allow a flipper with 3 weapon power to get a shot out of bounds.
this thing also exists too. this is the wall drum, throughout most of the match it will deal 5 points of weapon damage to any robot that comes into contact with it, and serves as a pinning point. however, when there's a minute left in the fight--the wall drum will increase in power, dealing 11 points of weapon damage to a robot that comes into contact with it. don't touch this goober, OK?
finally, there's the Big Time Hammers. they feature a specialized head that doubles for both blunt damage, and piercing damage to a robot. the Big Time Hammers deal 5 points of weapon damage to a robot when active, and have a 2 second cooldown between each blow.

THE WRITING TEAM AND ENTERED TEAMS

WRITERS

1. winternimbus

ENTERING TEAMS

[LIGHTWEIGHTS]
1. winternimbus - Team Foxtrot Uniform: Break Dash
2. Turtleback! - Team ShellShockers: THE GREATEST PLAN!
3. Botomatic1000 - Team Riptide: Spares Or Repairs
4. Hooray For Lexan - Team Instant Regret: Front Toward Enemy
5. YSMQTHLQYH - Team Design Flaw: Apeirogon II
6. British-Robotics - Team British Robotics: Voltage
7. Wolf51-50 - Alpha Robotics: TLV
8. Venice Queen - Interrobang Robotics: Afternoon Cereal
[MIDDLEWEIGHTS]
1. winternimbus - Team Foxtrot Uniform: Neophyte Redglare
2. Turtleback! - Team ShellShockers: W Is For WINNER!
3. Botomatic1000 - Team Riptide: Torschlusspanik
4. Hooray For Lexan - Team Instant Regret: Kamaitachi
5. YSMQTHLQYH - Team Design Flaw: God's Middle Finger
6. British-Robotics - Team British Robotics: Lethal Carriageway III
7. Wolf51-50 - Alpha Robotics: Diablo Victus
8. Venice Queen - Interrobang Robotics: 10,000-Year Earworm to Discourage Settlement Near Nuclear Waste Repositories (Don't Change Color, Kitty)

Last edited by winternimbus on Sun May 21, 2023 3:42 pm, edited 16 times in total.
winter! she/they pronouns, trans rights babey!

Break Dash - 1-1
Neophyte Redglare - 1-1

Neophyte Redglare - Robot Fight Night: Season 1 Quarter-Finals, Cherry Bomb Classic 3 Quarter-Finals
America Offline - Robot Fight Night: Season 1 Quarter-Finals

"I'm curious what tactical advantage you're hoping to gain by sacrificing a portion of your bots size/weight for a deployable banana"
-NWOWWE, 2017

winternimbus
Team: Team Foxtrot Uniform

Re: Robot Fight Night: Mini

Post by winternimbus » Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:14 pm

"Fighting our robots means that your robot will end up either MIA, KIA, or OOTA."

LIGHTWEIGHT

Break Dash

ABR PLOW

ANTI-VERT SCOOP

SPEED - 7 | TRACTION - 7 |TORQUE - 4 | WEAPON - 2 | ARMOR - 10 (+2 segmented wedge / ABR plow / anti-vert scoop)

in a possibly-first for advanced robot combat, introducing the first transgender waifubot! it counts if it's based off of a character that you headcanon as being transfem, right?
based off of pluto from megaman world 5 for the gameboy (i.e. the one with the sick as fuck alien robots), break dash is an otherwise bog-standard 360 degree lifter with interchangeable wedges. the forks that are exclusive to the segmented wedge setup are hinged on a ~5-10 degree limiter both ways, and can be removed if needed.
the forks in the segmented wedge setup, alongside a series of ballasts/counterweights/whatever near the back of the robot are intended to prevent it from square waving for the sake of clarity
ooooohhhh. you like funny space catgirls. ooohhhh

MIDDLEWEIGHT

NEOPHYTE REDGLARE

ABR PLOW

ANTI-VERTICAL SETUP
SPEED - 7 | TRACTION - 6 | TORQUE - 4 | WEAPON - 3 (2 front wedge / 2 top lifting forks)| ARMOR - 10 (+2 front wedge system)

ABR PLOW SETUP

SPEED - 7 | TRACTION - 6 | TORQUE - 4 | WEAPON - 2 (1 front wedge / 1 top lifting forks)| ARMOR - 11 (+3 front wedge system)

homestuck may be a former special interest of mine, but by far redglare has been one of my most well-known robots so--we're bringing her back from the dead after a long hiatus of not competing.
redglare is an electric motor-operated rear-hinged and front-hinged lifter, the front wedge and top lifting forks can both operate independently, the front wedge can move about 45 degrees or so up and down, and the top lifting forks can move 90 degrees forward. can self-right, it's set up so it won't zombie killer if on it's side w/o the front wedge. there's a counterweight ballast system in the back of the robot in order to prevent square wave syndrome while lifting opponents on it's front wedge.
the anti-vertical setup features a larger wedge "lip", and a thick teal-colored sheet of UHMW plastic mounted on the top lifting forks in order for verts to catch and stall their weapon on--think sawblazes' "eyelash" setup that it used against monsoon
Last edited by winternimbus on Sun May 21, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 17 times in total.
winter! she/they pronouns, trans rights babey!

Break Dash - 1-1
Neophyte Redglare - 1-1

Neophyte Redglare - Robot Fight Night: Season 1 Quarter-Finals, Cherry Bomb Classic 3 Quarter-Finals
America Offline - Robot Fight Night: Season 1 Quarter-Finals

"I'm curious what tactical advantage you're hoping to gain by sacrificing a portion of your bots size/weight for a deployable banana"
-NWOWWE, 2017

TurtleBack!
Team: Team ShellShockers

Post by TurtleBack! » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:40 pm

LIGHTWEIGHT

THE GREATEST PLAN!
Fork Config/“Fuck It. End Game.” Configs
SPEED: 6
TRACTION: 5
TORQUE:1
WEAPON: 9
ARMOR: 9

Wedge
SPEED: 6
TRACTION: 5
TORQUE:1
WEAPON: 8
ARMOR: 10 (+2 Wedge)
An overhead spinner ready for takeoff! (Forks are hinged btw-)

MIDDLEWEIGHT

W is for WINNER!

SPEED: 10
TRACTION: 9
TORQUE: 1
WEAPON: 3
ARMOR: 7

He a fast boy. (Also comes with two grabby arms/self righters. And it also has those hinged end game forks cause lol-)

Attachments
Wedg.png
Wedg.png (8.25 MiB) Viewed 3021 times
End Game Moment.png
End Game Moment.png (8.6 MiB) Viewed 3021 times
Forks.png
Forks.png (8.5 MiB) Viewed 3021 times
Last edited by TurtleBack! on Sun May 21, 2023 10:31 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Botomatic1000
Team: Team Riptide: Advanced Robot Combat

Post by Botomatic1000 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:41 am

Team Riptide: Advanced Robot Combat

Lightweight: Spares or Repairs
Flywheel config:
Standard stats: Speed: 4 Traction: 2 Torque: 1 Weapon: 16 Armour: 7
Flywheel: Weapon: 15 Armour: 8 (+1)
Your standard, run of the mill powerful undercutter with interchangeable weapons. Fully invertable and featuring a rounded back as to not get stuck on it.

Middleweight: Torschlusspanik
Long forks:
Anti-Spinner Wedge:
Stats: Speed: 5 Traction: 4 Torque:1 Weapon: 12 Armour: 8
Very aggressive, fully invertable, 2wd Drum-Spinner with a bi-directional weapon ESC so the drum can spin upwards, even when overturned. has interchangeable forks and a wedge
Last edited by Botomatic1000 on Sat May 20, 2023 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The moment you think you'll crash, you will" - Tony Pond
Team Captain of the IRL team, Kings Heath Colliders Robotics and Team Riptide: Advanced Robot Combat
Accolades
The New Blood: Joint 3rd with Raccoon XL
ROBOTS 3: Featherweight Quarter-Finalist with HardWired III
ROBOTS 3: Middleweight Quarter-Finalist with Der Adder
ROBOTS 3: Heavyweight Semi-Finalist with Night Jackal III
Cherry Bomb Classic 4: Featherweight Semi-Finalist with I Can't Believe It's Not Tanto
Cherry Bomb Classic 4: Heavyweight Semi-Finalist and Annihilator joint winner with Xtreme pneumatiX
Rumble In Da Jungle: Event Champion with Avanti!
ROBOTS 4: Featherweight Semi-Finalist with I Can't Believe It's Not Tanto
ROBOTS 4: Lightweight Semi-Finalist with Avanti!

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:04 am

I Am Become Compete, the Shatterer Of Brackets

Lightweight:
Front Toward Enemy

Speed: 3
Torque: 2
Traction: 1
Weapon: 16
Armor: 8

You may be thinking: "Nice mecanum undercutter, HFL, now draw the other half of the wheels." The weapon IS the other half of the wheels. Front Toward Enemy works via the same principle as Troll Toll: the weapon spins on a live shaft which is a tiny bit shorter than the wheels so the weapon sits at a very slight angle. This causes the end of the weapon shaft to spin against the floor off-center and make that end of the robot translate in the direction opposite its spin (towards the left side of the frame) while the wheels handle the other side. Replacing Troll Toll's single wheel with two mecanums gives the bot a triangular base which should be a bit more stable and make it less prone to trying to become a vertical spinner, and by turning the wheels in opposite directions it can translate in what would be the forward/backward direction on a normal robot. It has UHMW wheelguards (mainly to protect against throwing itself into the wall) and UHMW "ears" on the sides that keep one corner from dropping too much if one wheel is lost, so the weapon won't hit the floor.

Can start either way up, and run either a disc or a big, chunky bar for more reach / less area for a vert to hit. Technically the disc has a bit more KE than the bar but they're both in "scary amount of energy for a lightweight" territory. Both weapons are "1.5-toothed": they're asymmetric with a single main tooth, but the counterweight end has an effective striking surface that could come into play at very high closing speeds. Also note that either weapon's spin direction can be reversed before a match by mounting the weapon upside-down.

Middleweight:

Kamaitachi

Speed: 5
Traction: 4
Torque: 1

Normal Config:
Weapon: 12 (11 spinner, 1 lifter)
Armor: 8

Anti-Vert Config:
Weapon: 11 (10 spinner, 1 lifter)
Armor: 9 (+1 front forks and mounting brackets)

Anti-HS config:
Weapon: 10 (10 spinner)
Armor: 10 (+2 front plow)

Has your robot received inexplicable damage with no known source? Have your belts been cut, your tires shredded, your bolt heads sheared off, your baseplate torn open and guts strewn across the arena? If so, you may be a victim of the Kamaitachi, a mysterious beast that strikes like a whirlwind, slicing opponents to ribbons with its razor-sharp claws.

Kamaitachi is a vertical spinner with a set of lifting forks, designed to keep opponents' plows at bay, then lift them up and drive the disc into their soft underbellies. I.e. Terrortops is a cool concept and I wanted to try it out in ARC. It was supposed to have a whiplash-ripoff config that put the spinner on the lifter but I couldn't figure out how to fit it all together. The lifter can move about 180 degrees and has enough downward range to press itself against the floor.

Configs are:
Normal config. Uses the heaviest and highest-energy disc.
Anti-vert config. Uses a slightly lighter disc and heavier, sturdier forks (I ran out of time to render stuff just take my word for it ok?) The disc's shape has the back side of the tooth reduce rapidly in radius to reduce the risk of other verts striking the back side, resulting in less MOI than the spiral.
Anti-HS config: uses the lightest weapon (only 12 lbs, but thicker than the others and a bar shape for maximum resistance to out-of-plane bending) and ditches the lifter entirely to mount a big shock-mounted plow. It has UHMW top skids which let it drive inverted (yes the back of the frame rail that the lifter mounts to does clear the floor, I checked), although it doesn't drive very well like this and needs to self-right in a hurry by hitting the wall or its opponent.

All the disc options are pretty light, with the heaviest only 18 lbs, but they spin at nearly 250 mph and should still pack a pretty nasty punch despite their weight.

YSMQTHLQYH
Team: Team Design Flaw

Post by YSMQTHLQYH » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:44 am

Yes i am swapping out my bots last second, uni takes too much brainpower to do full bots. I'll just slightly adjust old finished stuff instead

Lightweight
Apeirogon II
Stats:
  • Speed: 9
  • Traction: 8
  • Torque: 2
  • Weapon: 7
  • Armour: 4
A point from weapon armor bonus taken to power the weapon arm, it still is pneumatic.
Wedges are hinged.
Also this time it has normal wheels again but keeps being 4WD.
The (now rear) wheels do still pop out from the back a bit so it doesn't get high centered if another wedge gets under from the front, might make a render of the rear view if you complain about the lack of picture.

Yes only 4 armour, the hazards have only 5 power so i should be fine, i could even take multiple hits from them to a wheel without losing it.
Also 7 power on a spinner works as a 3.5 power flipper, enough for oota in the low walls.

Middleweight
Old render idc, this event had a lack of big spinners, specially in middleweight so...
God's Middle Finger
Stats:
  • Speed: 4
  • Traction: 1
  • Torque: 1
  • Weapon: 17
  • Armour: 8
Yes it is a shuffler so heavier and 31 points.
rules say that full body spinners do get the full +4 weapon armour bonus on the entire thing.
please pretend that the pole for self righting is a bit longer, i can't be bothered to render it again
Last edited by YSMQTHLQYH on Sun May 21, 2023 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
TEAM DESIGN FLAW
Insert funny text here

Recent history
This is very much out of date as i forgot/didn't bother to update it
Dirty Dozen -
Something Something I Regret Nothing 0-0
I Suck At Names II 0-0
OTSC v2.0 0-0

Butcher's Circus -
Evaccania DOOM 0-0

ROBOT4 -
Cyan Printer Ink 4-1 // Multiply and Surrender 2-1 // Apeirogon II 4-0 (Champion!) // Total 10-2

CBC4 -
Vindicator 4-2 // Apeirogon 4-3 // Pressure Flop II 5-3 // Padoru Machina 3-3 // Total 16-11

less recent stuff i guess
Thunder Underground -
OTSC 2-0 // Need For Spin 1-1 // FREE ICE CREAM 0-1 // Cookie Cutter 1-0 // Total (i guess) 4-2

REDDIT - Terrorbird 4-1
Reckoning: Evolution - Riptide 2-2
ROBOT3 -
Beaned 2-5 //<3 5-3 // Pressure Flop 4-3 // Omnicrap 2.0 2-5 // Total 13-16

CBC3 -
Evil Destroyer 4-4 // I Suck At Names 5-3 // Something Something Cluster Bot 3-3 // Equisde 3-3 // Total 15-13

ICEcrown - Hovercrap 3-3
REDDIT(2K18) - Omnicrap 3-3
Overall record: 70-53

British-Robotics

Post by British-Robotics » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:54 am

LW: Voltage

First off this robot is not a multi-bot for starters, it's designed to deal with spinners and bar spinners. Also, he's got the pace and strength to deal with other opponents.

The weapon is a four-bar flipper

The robot can run inverted, and self-right without any issues, the wedglets have built-in hinges to help give the machine the upper hand to win the ground clearance battle

Speed: 6 Traction: 6 Torque: 2 Weapon: 4 Armor: 12

MW - Lethal Carriageway III

MW: Speed: 7
Traction: 7
Armour: 12
Weapon: 2 (Lifting Forks)

LC3 is a revised version and upgraded version of LC2, the drum is removed and is instead reverted back into a ramming brick. However this version features lifting forks that would help control matches and tactics, the wedge is a feeder wedge and helps get underneath opponents

Last edited by British-Robotics on Sun May 28, 2023 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Wolf51-50

Post by Wolf51-50 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:24 am

LW: TLV

4WD very angry brick. Why is it so angry? Because it tastes like vinegar (according to Siobhan at least). And now it's returned from it's sandwich making origins to rain hell on the world (or at least in the box because the rules say so).

Powered by the absolute rage and frustration of this bot, the forks move. They are attached to a shock mounted plow have about a 15° downward hinge and can lift up to around 30° past it's resting position. Despite looking separate, they all move on the same system. But apparently this wasn't enough. So now the front wheels move. They can lift 90° up and down (180° of bottled up hysterics). But to top it all off, the srimech also moves. This is to be expected. The srimech also works as a clamp should bots end up getting stuck there (somehow)

So now you've got a blue box that hates it's existence because it has the scent and taste of vinegar built in and I just gave it 3 moving parts. This is engineering at it's finest folks

Speed: 7
Traction: 6
Weapon: 5 (3 forks, 3 front wheel lifter, 3 clamp)
Armor: 10 (+1 front wedge with forks)

MW: Diablo Victus

What's a return to tourneys without making a return to my favorite bot design?

Kingshark wedge

Headstrong wedge

(The cad of this robot is currently lost so I had to poorly Photoshop in the ABR wedge. Hope people don't mind)

2WD Flamp that's powered via electric motors. Has a catch that keeps it in the flip up position and with a push of a button, releases the catch, which closes the flipper slowly after being in the up position, activating the clamp. There's also a dustpan with purple forks underneath the jaw. Is invertible and can self right with ease

Speed: 6
Traction: 5
Torque: 5
Weapon: 3
Armor: 11 (+2 front)
Last edited by Wolf51-50 on Sun May 21, 2023 1:10 am, edited 6 times in total.

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Sat May 06, 2023 1:58 am

Lightweight: Afternoon Cereal

Yellow // Forks:

Green // Forks:

ABR:

forks on the wedges are hinged independently of the wedge, but have a limited degree of movement to prevent folding incidents.
Yellow // forks: Speed: 8 / Traction: 6 / Torque: 1 / Weapon: 10 / Armor: 5
Green & ABR: Speed: 8 / Traction: 6 / Torque: 1 / Weapon: 7 (5 spinner / 5 lifter) / Armor: 8 (+3 front - includes weapon)

Middleweight: 10,000-Year Earworm to Discourage Settlement Near Nuclear Waste Repositories (Don't Change Color, Kitty)

This place is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is in a particular location... it increases towards a center... the center of danger is here... of a particular size and shape, and below us.

The danger is still present, in your time, as it was in ours.

The danger is to the body, and it can kill.

The form of the danger is an emanation of energy.

The danger is unleashed only if you substantially disturb this place physically. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Speed: 6
Traction: 6
Torque: 1
Weapon: 8
Armor: 9 (+1 shield & weapon)