R5 Week 6 MWs: Skoll vs. Disposal Unit

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

R5 Week 6 MWs: Skoll vs. Disposal Unit

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:49 am

Skoll:
Speed: 4
Traction: 2
Torque: 1
Weapon: 16
Armor: 7

Disposal Unit: 5 Speed / 3 Traction / 1 Torque / 12 Weapon / 9 Armor

Configs: Scythe on Skoll. It's mounted in the default orientation shown in the render so spins counterclockwise when Skoll is upright.

Strategy:
I’m spinning CCW: move out to my left to avoid a box rush while I spin up so the spinup torque works with me not against me if I have to turn to point the weapon at him. From there, be evasive if I’m not full speed, and make my approaches unpredictable by suddenly stopping, lurching, or approaching off-center in one direction and swinging around to the other.

At the height my blade’s at DU has very little reach and its teeth will be moving almost horizontally so popping me up will be hard. The scythe is more stable against “tombstone flipouts” and DU also has very little reach, and doesn’t have great control. He has to line up perfectly to avoid me removing his skids and/or sideswiping his weapon, and a bigger error could put his wheels in danger. I have a lot more margin for not facing exactly towards him than he does.

Otherwise focus on staying on the ground and staying spinning: flick the weapon off after a hit and make sure I have wheels on the ground before turning it back on, and try to avoid engaging if I’m not near the middle of the arena. If I end up gyro-ing I’ll have one or both wheels on the ground: use them. Running myself into a wall as a last resort is better than giving him time to line up and hit me in the back.

In a battle of attrition I hit hard enough to eventually kill his weapon, if I hit his frame directly he’s in serious trouble, and losing his skids and one or both front wheels might make his drum hit the floor and/or leave him with very little traction.
If I end up inverted, on one hand he can hit harder, on the other hand he still has poor reach and that puts my blade at a height where it can really mess up his frame rails.

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Re: R5 Week 6 MWs: Skoll vs. Disposal Unit

Post by attackfrog » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:36 pm

Oh hey, another undercutter! Good thing I have this huge drivetrain advantage over it. I'll use that to snipe one of Skoll's wheels and leave it immobile. I'm sure nothing will go wrong with this plan.

GL HFL, not that you'll need it.