R5 Week 4 HWs: Compound Fracture vs. Omicron32

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

R5 Week 4 HWs: Compound Fracture vs. Omicron32

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:16 am

Using anti-controlbot config with the double-sided outriggers. NOT the sharp ones, check the signup post.
Hey look, a wedge fight. This one is probably going to be pretty janky and awkward because we’re both very resistant to each other. Do wedge things, be aggressive and do my best to push him around and show off to the judges that I’m controlling the match.

I’ve got a slight wedge advantage, those teeth on his wide plow are “teeth” but they won’t handle floor unevenness as well as my forks. Unfortunately most of his front’s a big lifting plow which can just rotate if I lift it. Get under his chassis and lift that if I can, and try to engage with him in high-speed charges that might scoop him up enough to get his central axle onto my forks and allow me to lift that up. Try to take him to the hazards but assume he’ll get off pretty quickly with his lifter and be ready to adjust.

If I’m wedged, Omicron is a really wide bot and Compound Fracture’s a really narrow one, plus Omicron’s wedge is a shallow ramp. He has anti-monstertrucking stoppers, but they don’t look tall enough to hit my chassis and everything else on CF is floppy / sloped / slippery plastic. I think most of the time I’ll just skip off. This is why I went with the double-sided outriggers, which can fold under me and slide over a stopper if they catch one. Ramping off leaves my back to him, but also leaves his back to me so he has to either turn around or rotate his lifter 180 degrees and reverse driving. If I get caught and lifted, flail the weapon around and hopefully my absurd ground clearance will let me climb off him. Being inverted has literally zero effect on either robot here.

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Re: R5 Week 4 HWs: Compound Fracture vs. Omicron32

Post by attackfrog » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:13 pm

OK HFL as usual you've thought through your robot way more than I have mine and done things I have tried to do better than I did when I tried them. That said, my robot is still cooler. I mean, can Compound Fracture play video games? I thought not.

O32's got better control and better pushing power, and that should count for a lot in a control match, which this is. CF's got pointier lifters, but that doesn't mean it wins every time. Another difference is that O32's quite a wide robot, whereas CF is relatively narrow. My lifter's got a lot more of itself to get underneath CF, while CF has to be pointing its forks much more accurately. Both of us have a wheels-out geometry, where no matter how we're lifted (unless I lift CF right from the back) we'll have wheels on the ground.

So I see this match going like a fight between two weasels. Charging each other, circling around, smashing into each other, flailing a bit, et cetera. Since neither of us have teeth or claws, this is going to the judges.

I'll convince them by using my slightly better control to get better angles on Compound Fracture so that I can get it in my dustpan, lift and push it around (into hazards if possible.) CF will of course reverse away more or less immediately, but with my equal speed I can chase it around as it does so, which is almost as good as pushing. I'm still in control. And if/when I get liftered by CF, I can use my lifter to push myself out a bit and keep my wheels on the ground as I spin away, ideally, to reset.

OK that's enough typing. Sorry. GLHFL HFL.