Vexed! Round 2: Thundercaller and Chimera IV vs Precision Engine and Blue Max II

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hiicantpk

Vexed! Round 2: Thundercaller and Chimera IV vs Precision Engine and Blue Max II

Post by Hiicantpk » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:15 pm

ThundercallerChimera IVVSPrecision EngineBlue Max II
ImageImage|ImageImage
Speed: 7Speed: 7|Speed: 8Speed: 3
Traction: 6Traction: 7|Traction: 7Traction: 2
Torque: 2Torque: 2|Torque: 3Torque: 1
Weapon: 5Weapon: 5|Weapon: 4 (3/3)Weapon: 16
Armour: 10 (+1 Plow)Armour: 9 (+2 Forks/Wedge)|Armour: 8Armour: 8
Note: Configs/Wedges shown in this table may not reflect the configs/wedges being used in the match.
".. if Kody is removing OOTAs, I'm flying to Canada for the sole purpose of taking a shit down his chimney. :v: " - GF93

Team 57

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: Vexed! Round 2: Thundercaller and Chimera IV vs Precision Engine and Blue Max II

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:51 pm

a. We can deal deal significant damage. They can't.

b. We have the fastest single bot in this fight: basically something that does what they do, only better.

c. You don't see many x-axis spinners. Not many bots have a real plan for countering them aside from something something instability. Use this to my advantage to attack in unexpected ways and negate the usual anti-spinner counters.

d. Neither of them have much margin for flipping OOTA, and good luck getting a solid, straight flip on a shape as weird as mine. Meanwhile, I can OOTA them from the right angle with distance to spare.

Spin up fast, let Precision Engine run interference for me, and hit them. Try to focus Chimera. Laz won't let that happen, but Precision Engine can outdrive him, effectively outwedge him (I know it's technically a 50/50, but PE's prongs are individually hinged and actually ride the floor properly, unlike Thundercaller's teeth), and clamp him. The second that Thundercaller isn't there to annoy me, go hard after Chimera. Gabe can run. He can lose aggression points. He can risk going after me and getting smacked at an angle he's not expecting. Don't always give them the straight shot they're looking for. Start sideways and swing around. Hit all of those juicy wheels and hard corners on Chimera. Take advantage of the fact that Thundercaller's wedge DOESN'T actually protect its wheels fully. I'm an x-axis spinner. When I hit a wedge, my blade won't skip up it like a vert's or away like an HS. It'll skip to the side in its spin direction. Do that while driving aggressively forward and let it carry me right into his wheel. Reverse direction at some point later and gib his other wheel.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Re: Vexed! Round 2: Thundercaller and Chimera IV vs Precision Engine and Blue Max II

Post by Venice Queen » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:54 pm

Forks. this matchup is actually pretty much exactly like last week's. except this time my ally can also OOTA, and my opponents are both significantly lower tier versions of the same idea. Precision engine is, well, not a cluster, so I can deal with it fully on my own. Blue max is roughly monodirectional and also somehow slower than a shell deathspinner. It also has an heavy airplane propeller on the front and a long chassis with a very thin wheelbase. its "blade sweeps very low to the ground at the front" too, so it's going to have fun trying to not hit the ground when turning. My perfect control offsets PE's slight speed advantage, and his clamp is weaker than my and Thundercaller's flippers so we both should be able to force it open if clamped.

START OF MATCH:
I assume that PE will try to go after Thundercaller all match since he starts across from him and is the only one that can actually facetank blue max. we actually want PE to go after Thundercaller from the get go, because blue max is going to take an age to actually get into the fight: while super tries to force the 1v1 with Laz, I'll come up from behind.

MIDDLE OF MATCH:
bring the fight to PE - constantly stay between him and everyone else, keeping full confidence in Laz's ability to protect me from Blue max. mix in angling in (utilizing the flat wedge) with coming head-on (my forks are thicker than his and far more likely to get under) to keep him off guard, but dont actually get that aggressive. my goal is to hold a position he wants to take, then prevent him from taking it. once I'm under push the advantage obviously, and try to get him OOTA or into his ally as the situation provides. always end a snowball with him cornered, so I can rinse and repeat. if he does get free, either chase him down (trying to corner him or get him between me and blue max), or go straight for blue max's ass and try and surprise flip him from behind/feed him into PE before PE can disrupt Thundercaller.

if thundercaller dies, go full on with the attempts to feed PE into Blue Max. stay focused on PE: laz in booth can watch Blue max's movements for me.

GL

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Post by Madman » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:18 pm

Deal with Blue Max. I have the better wedge and can tank it and flip it all over the place and there really isn't much that Alex can do about it. An OOTA would be nice, but the main goal is just to win my head to head match and let Gabe take care of his.

Alex likes his tricky maneuvers and thinks that people will all do a dumb because they don't see face spinners often. Attack Blue Max's blade. Don't go for targets of opportunity. I have double its speed. If he tries to monstertruck over me, his weapon will hit the floor. If he tries to hit my wheels, be prepared for him to try to skid sideways along my wedge and snipe a hit. Also note that his weapon will be at a lot less than full power by that point.

If they switch off and Precision Engine goes after me, my flipper has enough burst to force his clamp open. Mostly, however, let Gabe go after it. Blue Max has 3 speed. Full stop. Once Gabe engages it, Super can't really just ignore him and all of the flips he'll be taking. Go back to Blue Max. Stay disciplined here. We have winning matchups if this devolves into two 1v1s.

That's not to say that we're totally avoiding team play, though. If there's an opportunity to reverse into Precision Engine's ass and flip him front-hinged, then do it. It there are good openings where I can flip Blue Max into its lightly-armoured partner, do it!
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49

Superbomb122

Post by Superbomb122 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:36 pm

Assuming Chimera’s running forks, I’d have a less than great chance of beating it head-to-head. However, if it uses its plow to counter Blue Max, I can get under it easily with forks. The same applies to Thundercaller. It also helps that I have the best drivetrain here and can outpush my opponents easily. I have plenty of hazards to work with, including, by all intents and purposes, my ally, who can one-shot both of the opponents.

Against Thundercaller, I can charge at him pretty head-on and expect to get under. If I get under the flipping wedge, he can’t escape my grasp, even when firing the flipper, because he won’t be able to get leverage with his chassis. Stay out of OOTA range and J-hook when wedged and I should be fine.

Chimera will require one of 2 approaches. If he brought the plow, approach the same way as against Thundercaller with a bit more caution about OOTA zones. He’ll probably be able to get free more easily than Thundercaller, but keeping him on the back foot is the bigger goal. If Chimera went with forks, don’t come at him from the front and opt for blindside attacks. It’ll be easier for Blue Max to insta-kill his chassis if he runs forks, anyway.

At the beginning of the match, counter-charge and clamp whoever’s going for Blue Max to buy him time to spin up. Continue to harass and control Thundercaller and Chimera, taking opportunities to deliver them to spike walls, screws and Blue Max. If they start focusing me, bob and weave between the two to force one to either stop or allow Blue Max to spin up. In effect, Blue Max will be a constant threat and deterrent to attacks against me. If I can be enough of a nuisance to prevent them from stopping Blue Max, they’re going to have a hard time dealing with the pressure of a very fast grabber and OHKO spinner.

Once one bot is gone, grab the other bot and let Blue Max tee off on them.

Of course, I need to be extremely aware of where hazards and my teammate are. Both of my opponents can OOTA me, Chimera more easily due to its 4-bar design. Just as easily, they can attempt to launch me into Blue Max. If I’m in a position where either is likely, retreat and readjust.
Team ETHER 12-11
REDDIT: 3-2
CBC: 9-9