The Dirty Dozen's Dynamite, Disastrous or Dumbfounding Divinations

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Trihunter
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Team: Cool Story Brobotics

The Dirty Dozen's Dynamite, Disastrous or Dumbfounding Divinations

Post by Trihunter » Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:52 pm

So, now we've a full roster revealed, who do you guys predict will come out on top? I'll toss my hat into the ring later.

Damn, I had too much fun with this thread name.
Accolades
Official participant in ARCcon Europe
ROBOT 2 FW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 MW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 HW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 Most Trophies (Runner-up)
Official voter in OSCARC 2018
Best Meme 2018 (Mimi-Chan)
Trophies
ICEcrown Champion (Steelhead)
CBC3 SHW Runner-Up (Hartmann's Youkai Bot II)
CBC4 LW Runner-Up (Scrapper)
ROBOT4 Sportsman Runner-Up (Split Personality)

Hooray For Lexan

Re: The Dirty Dozen's Dynamite, Disastrous or Dumbfounding Divinations

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:49 pm

I'm gonna go by team here

Cool Story Brobotics (Trihunter): The six-tooth horizontal on HYB may actually be a good choice in this arena because this is NOT a good arena to go knocking yourself into the walls. Scrapper also has a really hard-hitting and hard to avoid weapon that I think will get a couple wins, but it needs to avoid getting drawn against either the horizontals or some of the bricks which can get under the wide drum and short forks really easily. Petaflare is in theory a good bot type for this arena, but it has limited weapon reach, and 1 torque on a crusher means a lot of opponents will just push it around.

Team Design Flaw (YSMQ): Something Something I Regret Nothing is honestly pretty much built to get cheesy wins, but it kind of has to yeet its opponents into the hazards or something within like 30 seconds because doing pretty much anything to half of the cluster pretty much ends it. I Suck at Names also falls in the "powerful but janky" category. 4 speed on a vert is IMO not a great idea unless you have a weapon with a wide area of attack, e.g. a drum. I think it will struggle too much to actually hit a lot of the control bots here to pull off its cool strats. Not great against HSes either: 12 frontal armor is only enough if you can smother, and good luck with 4 speed. It pretty much just has to hope they kill themselves against the walls. OTSC is actually a title contender; it nopes weaponbots pretty easily and can only really be killed by OOTA, but it is a slower controlbot without an active weapon so it won't have easy matchups.

Interrobang Robotics (Angry Goat / Siobhan / Archangel / CraigslistOboe): TBH this is mostly shitposts. Floppy Teeth's got good stats but in practice I think it's too easy to wedge, high-center, toss around, etc. The Big Spook is 100% reliant on hazard kills, and will probably die against spinners unless they really fuck up. Listen Here Grandad, OTOH, is that one shitpost that's actually really obnoxious to fight. It does have a weakness though: it looks like the wedgelets might touch the ground properly inverted, but the plow and the central puncher bar won't. 12 armor is also not really enough to safely self-right off of the wall drums without getting its wedge beaten up anyway.

Team Riptide (Ethan): An all-around solid team except for Art of Being Polite, which is likely to get screwed by the arena. Both controlbots can easily take out spinners and have either really good wedges and drivetrains or a strong generalist britflipper design. OOTAs could be difficult for XP, but these are actually both tittle contenders.

Aquatic Robotics (Attackfrog): Oh shit Swordfish has omnis now, we're all screwed... except not that much. Despite the potential 13-armor flipper, spinner matchups are kind of questionable because it'll get filleted pretty quickly if a vert ever gets a followup, and the wedge design + 11 frontal armor is really questionable against HSes. Against controlbots it's got a powerful and OOTA-capable weapon, a long tongue wedge, and omni drive, but it's still a bit of a glass cannon so to speak and doesn't have good high-centering capability plus has 1 torque, so positioning itself for an OOTA could be tricky. Speed Bison is a scary combo of power, decent speed, and THICC. Whirlpool is... still an HS. It's got a weird, janky design, but... ugh, this arena.

Team Ether (Superbomb): IMO clamps and flippers are the best weapon types given this arena, and Superbomb has two very dangerous-looking ones. Icebreaker has a good wedge, an OOTA-capable weapon, and it should be one of the easier ones to position with. Precision Engine is fast, powerful, and has jaws perfect for feeding people into the wall drums, plus both of them have alts that will take horizontals out very easily. There's two title contenders here, but they do both have to be VERY careful against verts, because they don't have great chassis armor, their anti-spinner plows are easily outwedged, and without them they're very vulnerable. Oh yeah, and Project Snafu's an overhead angled spinner, which... it's ending up inverted at some point.

Team Instant Regret (HFL): Okay, Skoll's probably yeeting himself into the drums at some point, let's just get that out of the way. Hati's basically I Can't Believe It's Not I Can't Believe It's Not Tanto, but with cooler aesthetics and a plow shape better optimized for ruining spinners' lives. She's got a really effective wedge but needs to be able to push bots into the hazards with a shallow wedge and no active weapon, which could be tricky. Defenestrator still has its easy KO against a lot of bots here despite the higher wall: clamps + wall drum is a nasty combo. However it's also vulnerable to this itself with 10 chassis armor and not the best drivetrain. On the bright side its main historical weakness is HSes, and this arena sucks for them.

Team Team British Robotics (TBR): This is a pretty decent arena for control spinners, so Powerdrive could have a surprisingly good run. Chemex is, uh... a slightly weaker weapon on an HS and tracks is probably safer in this arena, and there's several bots that don't have the armor to stuff it, but there's also plenty that do so I don't think it's a championship contender. Lethal Carriageway is, well, lethal against most controlbots, however the alt config will NOT help against HSes and most of the verts here hit hard enough that if they get under those forks once it's in big trouble.

Team 57 (Hii): Tidal Wave can take the title IF it avoids horizontal spinners and also Scrapper. Jobber is actually one of the better horizontals here: its rear wedge and pointy shape makes it less likely to get a wheel obliterated if it hits the wall drums, and its five-tooth blade makes it a little more controllable. Fork Bomb's hammersaw is a serious KO threat to a lot of bots here, but the thing is, flat 7 armor and that drivetrain is just too vulnerable.

Ice Cubed Robotics (Alex V): This could be Dreadnought's title year. 3 power on a front-hinged is probably not OOTA material here, but it can dominate fights. If Dreadnought doesn't work, Black Diamond might. This is possibly the best bot in the tournament for getting OOTAs, although I'd personally have gone for a 7/7 drivetrain. Jackal... ugh, I think he'd have an amazing machine here if he made the jackal head lift the same way as the scoop. But just being ARC Sandstorm is still a really good bot.

Team Stealth (Shaba117): Death Metal's... yeah, probably gonna kill itself. Triple Six has a history of getting crazy OOTAs, but I'm a bit skeptical of an excessively powerful flipper here. The OOTA zone is in the center and it's fairly small. Precision is the name of the game in this event IMO. On the other hand, Thieving Magpie is the other contender for best OOTA-er in the tournament. It's also relatively vulnerable to spinners, though: the armor bonus location doesn't help much against HSes, and isn't consistent against verts.

Team 2nd Place: Ain't getting 2nd place. Two entries are horizontals with some more unorthodox designs and statlines. Bobtoady's got high armor and hits high up, which could help it in some matchups, but 2 speed is incredibly easy to bully around the arena. Super Soldier, again has some decent matchups as a control HS, but any of the many bots with 11+ frontal armor can just stuff it. Electron's a decent-looking drumbot, but it doesn't really have many matchups where it excels, and a lot which are uphill battles.

Overall picks for most likely champions: Ice Cubed Robotics, Team Stealth.

Most Promising "New" Team: Team Ether.

Most Disappointing Dropout: Team Rinzler.

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Post by attackfrog » Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:43 pm

I'm too lazy to run the numbers on who wins this thing but I'm not too lazy to provide you with quick thoughts on robots. Perhaps after reading these you'll wish I was.

Robot Strengths and Weaknesses

Hartman's Youkai Bot III
+ Cool flower pattern, invertibility
- Tasty wheels, reduced area of attack

Scrapper
+ Big drum with big spin
- Turning while big drum do big spin

Petaflare II
+ Nice plow
- It's a crusher

Something Something I Regret Nothing
+ Speedy AF times two
- Explodes on contact

I Suck At Names II
+ Dat render though, the bonk
- Sluggish

OTSC v2.0
+ [Brick emoji]
- Torque reaction flipper

Floppy Teeth
+ [Brick emoji]
- Weak to wedgies

The Big Spook
+ MAXIMUM SPEED, big pumpkin energy
- Apparently constructed from actual pumpkin

Listen Here, Grandad, this is America. Everyone Here Eats Ass
+ Swiss army brick
- Probably doping

I Can't Believe It's Not Tanto
+ English cheese is tasty
- It has sides

The Act Of Being Polite
+ Big spin
- Actually pretty rude

Xtreme PneumatiX
+ Lil' flip, big face
- Pneumatics not actually that extreme

Swordfish 3
+ Cutest flips
- Fleshy underbelly

Speed Bison
+ Racing stripe for extra speed
- Do you even lift, bro?

Whirlpool
+ Flexible
- Depressed color scheme

Icebreaker
+ Stole all the forks
- Put them in a box

Project SNAFU
+ Spinning is winning
- Turning is burning

Precision Engine
+ Big munch
- Wheel guards of betrayal

Skoll
+ Optimized undercutter
- Tombstone wheels

Hati
+ Wejjjjjj
- Wej

Defenestrator
+ *Lifts opponent* "Ta daaaah~!"
- You'd better have some low windows

Powerdrive 2020
+ Drives powerfully
- Schshcrimech

Chemical Explosion
+ Speedy spinner
- Not actually that explosive

Lethal Carriageway 2020
+ Balanced, as all things should be
- Grips it by the husk

Tidal Wave
+ Very tidal
- More square than wavy

Chronic Jobber
+ If Undertow was a spinner
- If Undertow was a spinner

Fork Bomb
+ The bonk
- Getting that bonk

Dreadnought Mk4
+ The Brittest of the flippers
- Front hinge is for chumps

Black Diamond
+ Oh hi Alex
- Exactly which part of this robot is a diamond

Jackal
+ Flat is justice
- Ate its wheels

The Thieving Magpie
+ Do a flip
- Stealing is illegal

Death Metal
+ Tombstone
- But in ARC

Triple 6
+ Yeet
- In a box

Bobtoady
+ The most dapper lad
- Walks with a limp

Super Soldier
+ 'Murica
- Too many leg days

Electron
+ It has a spinner in its wedge
- It has a wedge around its spinner

YSMQTHLQYH
Team: Team Design Flaw

Post by YSMQTHLQYH » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:42 pm

Yeah so this was supposed to be up 2 hours ago but i got interrupted by some #vent tier shit.
S-Tier
Dreadnought Mk4
I can't believe that DiCaprio did finally get an Oscar.
Icebreaker
This thing is pretty good for this arena, it's weapon will be pretty good against other control bots and can tank the horizontal spinners, might struggle against the few verticals here.
Precision Engine
Also good against control bots and tanky enough, less OOTA and more OP hazard use, worse against vertical spinners.
The Thieving Magpie
Similar to Icebreaker, a bit more vulnerable to spinners tho.
Xtreme PneumatiX
Bricky control bot, other control bots might beat it and can't OOTA. Will win by not losing.
OTSC v2.0
Brick, I am the only one here that can take a direct hit from the hazard in the wheels and not get massively screwed. This matters against other control bots. Depends on the hazards to win those fights tho.
A-Tier
Hati
It's tanto, but better.
I Can't Believe It's Not Tanto}
It's just tanto.
Tidal Wave
All it needs to do is not draw one of the seven 4/2/1/16/7 bots and it wins it all.
Black Diamond
Insert Alex pun here, it's perfect for this arena so it can get several wheels. It's stats from CBC3 are a bit outdated tho.
The Big Spook
The OP hazards and the fact that no one is entering a full body spinner makes this actually not a bad idea.
Something Something I Regret Nothing
Read above.
Scrapper
You either have a way to beat this strongly or get murdered, no in between.
B-Tier
Triple 6
OOTAs are tricky on this arena, using the hazards shouldn't be hard tho. Has at least a decent match up against everything IMO.
Skoll
Death Metal
Chronic Jobber
Hartmann's Youkai Bot III
The Act Of Being Polite
Yes i am literally grouping the 5 horizontal deathspinner archetype bots together. The arena is kinda bad for them but there is a surprising amount of bots here that are vulnerable to big weapons. At least one of them is going to go out by recoiling it's back into a hazard and get obliterated by it.
Floppy Teeth
Big brick energy, awkward against control bots.
Speed Bison
Somehow the description of Floppy Teeth fits this bot too.
C-Tier
Defenestrator
Everything about this bot is slightly questionable.
Jackal
Meh brick.
Listen Here, Grandad, this is America. Everyone Here Eats Ass
This looks good on paper, not sure if it's actually going to work though.
I Suck At Names II
I gotta be honest, this only exists so i can flex on my rendering skills. Questionable against the big horizontals and vulnerable to fast bots.
Swordfish 3
I was planing on making Omnicrap 3.0 for this event and this bot is way to fucking similar to what i was going to make, same stats, drivetrain, weapon, wedge shape... This loses to horizontal spinners so that takes it down a tier or something.
Lethal Carriageway 2020
Decent control bot but is questionable at best against spinners.
Electron
yes the back wheels of Electron can touch the ground when inverted
Otherwise solid semi-control vert.
Fork Bomb
May or may not beat bricks, hopeless against spinners.
D-Tier
Petaflare II
> crusher
Whirlpool
Anything with 8+ speed can avoid it's weapon entirely. The other slower bots that can't quite box rush it can angle on it and avoid the spinner that way. Has no advantage over the other deathspinners.
Project SNAFU
Massive improvement over the original SNAFU, it's still in this tier lol.
Powerdrive 2020
Has the same problems as Lethal Carriageway, but magnified.
Bobtoady
Way to slow to do anything useful, It's unbeatable weapon to weapon so with the right draw it might win a few fights. Even then at least a few of the HSs can cheese it by hitting bellow the spinner.
Chemical Explosion
Dope looking bot, massively outdated stats tho. Relies entirely on the weapon, said weapon wont be able to do any real damage on most bots.
Super Soldier
It's stats are in the middle of nowhere. Even with good stats the design would be questionable.
TEAM DESIGN FLAW
Insert funny text here

Recent history
This is very much out of date as i forgot/didn't bother to update it
Dirty Dozen -
Something Something I Regret Nothing 0-0
I Suck At Names II 0-0
OTSC v2.0 0-0

Butcher's Circus -
Evaccania DOOM 0-0

ROBOT4 -
Cyan Printer Ink 4-1 // Multiply and Surrender 2-1 // Apeirogon II 4-0 (Champion!) // Total 10-2

CBC4 -
Vindicator 4-2 // Apeirogon 4-3 // Pressure Flop II 5-3 // Padoru Machina 3-3 // Total 16-11

less recent stuff i guess
Thunder Underground -
OTSC 2-0 // Need For Spin 1-1 // FREE ICE CREAM 0-1 // Cookie Cutter 1-0 // Total (i guess) 4-2

REDDIT - Terrorbird 4-1
Reckoning: Evolution - Riptide 2-2
ROBOT3 -
Beaned 2-5 //<3 5-3 // Pressure Flop 4-3 // Omnicrap 2.0 2-5 // Total 13-16

CBC3 -
Evil Destroyer 4-4 // I Suck At Names 5-3 // Something Something Cluster Bot 3-3 // Equisde 3-3 // Total 15-13

ICEcrown - Hovercrap 3-3
REDDIT(2K18) - Omnicrap 3-3
Overall record: 70-53