Bot-O-Rama 2016 - Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hiicantpk

Post by Hiicantpk » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:26 pm

If I ever remake Database into another weight class, I'll be sure to add a SRIMech ._.
".. if Kody is removing OOTAs, I'm flying to Canada for the sole purpose of taking a shit down his chimney. :v: " - GF93

Team 57

Noisy
Team: Square Go Robotics

Post by Noisy » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:49 pm

Didn't think Feathergo would go the furtherest of my 3. RIP Nurse Killjoy. You were good and will be back if there's another tournament but had the worst draw possible. And Annoying Wasp, meh. Did anyone like A'Wasp? It was thrown together at the last minute but done quite well, never really cared for it though.

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:59 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NoiseyGiraffe</dt><dd>Apr 18 2016, 08:49 PM</dd></dl><div> And Annoying Wasp, meh. Did anyone like A'Wasp? It was thrown together at the last minute but done quite well, never really cared for it though. [/quote]Good design, but I think it coulda been statted a bit better (at least 12 weapon is needed for an effective spinner, IMO)
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:00 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>hmmm, I take issue with this. first of all, it is rude. second of all, I added a note to one of the things I wrote last week (just mentioning that Vice can't get stuck on its side), that was removed for some reason before being published, and third of all, I specifically decided to avoid his lifter:[/quote]

Okay... first, I apologize if the explanation of what happened came across as rude - my intent was to explain my reasoning for why THO performed well on the fight, since it wasn't immediately obvious. I've removed that portion.

The reason I choose to remove the bit about Vice was because I believed it wasn't relevant to the match that actually happened, and talking about a hypothetical match. In the future, I'll move all notes to the discussion thread.

You said you would attempt to avoid his lifter, which you did. That doesn't mean you'll succeed every time. You did get around the lifter plenty of times, but because his speed was 75% of yours and you both had good traction balances sometimes he was able to keep his front facing you, and due to the robots shape he usually won face-to-face collisions.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>and how is THO short with the lifter down? it's visibly long in the photo, and certainly quite a good deal longer than Wyvern, a wide 2WD robot[/quote]

Yeah, he's definitely much longer than Wyvern, but he's also short in the sense of "not tall." I could have said "low," but that would have meant it got confused with ground clearance instead of length. Ain't English an awesome language?

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Also: Annoying wasp should not have been able to damage Panda's wedge at all. 11 armor to 11 weapon.[/quote]

Honestly, no he shouldn't have. However, that match already had to be edited once, results were due to be posted, and the result didn't affect the match outcome. Since this is the playoffs the fight cards were dependent on the results, and I thought it wouldn't have been fair to post all the other results and leave you and Toxic with less time to RP for the next match.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I'm sorry, I'm not convinced that THO's lifter goes high enough to pull this off.[/quote]

30 lb bots are generally 1-2 feet long, and THO is on the longer end of that. The top of the lifter is almost as high as the dead zone wall, and as Goat said that lifter is so friggin fast that the opponent has a lot of momentum.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I believe it's already been established that it can be stuck on its side, see week 2 results.[/quote]

Week 2 was actually a mistake. It was written as getting stuck on its back because scorpion forgot to specify the lifter's range of motion and the writers thought the model he posted in the signup page showed the limit.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I have a problem with using what's essentially a coin flip to decide anything that isn't a double FF.[/quote]

Hmm... I think randomizing things a bit helps avoid "this robot looks cooler" bias. My approach is generally to use the RP, stats, and robot designs to come up with a probability of something happening (e.g. I might say Do Not Open is lower and better-controlled than Buzzkill, so it has a 2/3 chance of getting under it, but Buzzkill still has a chance because things like wheelies and floor seams happen. Or if a spinner got a 5 damage corner hit, I might say: "I'll roll a d4. 1, the damage is spectacular but superficial, 2 disables the weapon, 3 disables one side of the drive, and 4 is a total knockout. My impression was that this is a fairly normal practice - IIRC someone made reference to "damage dice" or something in Hammerfall.

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:15 pm

Anyway, time to summarize the last week and the next week&#33;

In the hobbyweights we had some good fights, with Panda shoving Annoying Wasp all over the place, Caldera's volcano going extinct against the durable wedge of DNO, Buzzkill tearing up Pro, and Sirocco giving me a lifelong fear of propellers which will require years of expensive therapy to overcome. In the featherweights, um... actually, to be honest, the featherweights were kinda boring this week because most of the fights featured vertical spinners getting stuck on their backs in the first thirty seconds. Come on guys, it's [current year,] srimechs have been around for almost 20 years&#33; I may be a bit biased here, but the main highlight of the featherweights was this moment. Oops, wrong footage. And in the sportsman division, Wyvern was spectacularly and controversially upside by The Horney One, Sling Shot finally managed to actually hit Neon and end the multibot's reign of terror, Loud Love pounded Nurse Killjoy into submission, and Ahlspiess vs. Tormentor turned into a derpfest because both bots break down.

This week, we have the semifinals&#33;

In the hobbyweights, we have a rematch between Panda and Buzzkill - will things go the same way? And fresh off a victory against Caldera, Do Not Open will attempt to put Sirocco on the No Fly List. In the featherweights, Rebellious Activity will fight Feathergo, and Oh Geeze will go up against Vorpal Bunny. In the sportsman class, it'll be hydraulics vs. flywheels with The Horney One vs. Sling Shot, and twin hammers vs. single hammer with Loud Love vs. Tormentor.

And of course, don't forget that even if you're out of the main tournament there are still the rumbles&#33; In each weight class, six robots (or seven for the sportsmans because Neon's in there) will be thrown in the same arena. It'll be chaos, and for some contests a chance to avenge a previous defeat.

Badnik96

Post by Badnik96 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:15 pm

IIRC none of the Hammerfall writers had written for ARC before, unless Josh was a writer for Hammerfall (I forget if he was). Either way, we don't normally use random chance to decide legitimate fights.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:33 pm

Josh was the only ARCer that wrote for me. Everybody else was greenhorns.

Venice Queen

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:26 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>HotDealsInTexas</dt><dd>Apr 18 2016, 09:00 PM</dd></dl><div>

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I believe it's already been established that it can be stuck on its side, see week 2 results.[/quote]

Week 2 was actually a mistake. It was written as getting stuck on its back because scorpion forgot to specify the lifter's range of motion and the writers thought the model he posted in the signup page showed the [/quote]

week 2 was not a mistake because I didnt write that match with him getting stuck on his back, and neither brad nor i are saying he should have been stuck on his back. He can easily get stuck on his SIDES because he has flat sides and his lifter doesn't extend outside of the sides of his robot.
Last edited by Venice Queen on Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Badnik96

Post by Badnik96 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:53 am

1/3 done, but I'll gladly rewrite this one if the result is overturned.
Team Ignition

Venice Queen

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:59 pm

I was reading the RP thread (because I like to see how people are planning their fights, including my opponents after I've written my RPs for my fights), and noticed this:

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>HDiT's RP</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>His flipper is also vulnerable with "only" 13 weapon armor.[/quote]

Oh Geeze I'm Terribly Sorry I didn't Mean to Flip Your Robot Over's flipper has only 3 power, and does not qualify for an active weapons bonus, so it still just has 11 armor.
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:02 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The_Angry_Goat</dt><dd>Apr 19 2016, 07:59 PM</dd></dl><div>I was reading the RP thread (because I like to see how people are planning their fights, including my opponents after I've written my RPs for my fights), and noticed this:

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>HDiT's RP</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>His flipper is also vulnerable with "only" 13 weapon armor.[/quote]

Oh Geeze I'm Terribly Sorry I didn't Mean to Flip Your Robot Over's flipper has only 3 power, and does not qualify for an active weapons bonus, so it still just has 11 armor.[/quote]Woopsie-daisies. Thanks for catching that.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:52 pm

LOUD LOVE HYPE

I'M COMING FOR YOU SLING SHOT

BRING IT BOI
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

Badnik96

Post by Badnik96 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:06 pm

Two robots in the finals&#33; I'm incredibly uncertain about Sling Shot's chances against Loud Love (especially considering last time) but I feel reasonably confident I can take Vorpal Bunny again. We'll have to see I guess.
Team Ignition

Venice Queen

Post by Venice Queen » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:09 pm

how the hell is Buzzkill still alive :v:

fought the good fight against Vorpal Bunny... it's a helluva spinner and hard to beat. I would at least appreciate having my RP read before I'm eviscerated, though :P
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:09 pm

All right, time for the finals&#33;

In the hobbyweights, Buzzkill's vertical spinner will fight Do Not Open's wedge for the championship, while Sirocco and Panda go for third place.

In the featherweights, we actually have two group stage rematches: Rebellious Activity's lifter vs. Vorpal Bunny's spinning bar in the final, and Oh Geeze's flipper vs. Feathergo's vertical spinner for third place.

In the sportsman class, we have... even more rematches&#33; Sling Shot vs. Loud Love for the final, and Tormentor vs. The Horney One for third place&#33;

We also have the second rumble for each weight class. In the hobbyweights we have Annoying Wasp, Panda, Pro, and also all the spinners that didn't make the playoffs despite showing up for matches.

In the featherweights, we have Sister Sledge and a whole bunch of spinners. Seriously, that's a lot of spinners. I guess there were five in the hobbyweight rumble last week too, but Blood Blister disappeared so I'm not sure if it counts.

In the sportsmans, we have, umm... one crusher, two flippers, one lifter, <del>one hammer</del> two hammers on the same robot, and whatever you call DnB's weapon.
Last edited by Hooray For Lexan on Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.