Here you go, you guys

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Here you go, you guys

Post by That Kode Guy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:38 am

You can thank both NWOWWE and NFX for this topic :v:

What ingredients does a motor-on-top spinner, like IceWave (also AMP, Frequency, Eudial) need to self-right :v:

or if they can't, why not :P
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Here you go, you guys

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:38 am

Pixie dust. :v:
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Here you go, you guys

Post by GF93 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:44 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Nov 5 2015, 10:38 AM</dd></dl><div>What ingredients does a motor-on-top spinner, like IceWave (also AMP, Frequency, Eudial) need to self-right :v:[/quote]93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple. :v:
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Here you go, you guys

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:52 am

Okay, here's where the disconnect is coming from for me anyway:

What I'm hearing is that given time, a bot like Eudial/Frequency will always self-right which I don't quite follow. Maybe I'm stuck in the past a bit, but eons ago it was generally agreed that AMP was highly unlikely to self-right if it got flipped over. Like it would need some really lucky bounces or something.

And now that I'm hearing that given some time that Frequency/Eudial et. al. will always self right, I would like to raise the question as to how something like Rooster Teeth and Clown Breath/Influenza have 0 chance of ever self righting no matter how much time given. Yeah I've heard all the nonsense about pole length and radius and whatever else, but it doesn't make sense that there's literally no chance for them when these other bots have EVERY chance.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

NFX

Here you go, you guys

Post by NFX » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:01 am

> Enough weapon power, obviously.
> Enough of a gap between the 'teeth' of their weapon. A straight bar will have a better chance of self-righting with this design than a tribar will, in my view.
> Enough of an edge on the chassis to catch against the floor. Tornado Mer, for instance, is circular, and tends to scoot around the floor on its side, rather than land on its wheels.

This, I reckon, should allow a motor-on-top spinner design to self-right more often than not. However, as I've said before, it's not guaranteed it will do so within the 30-second time limit, and Frequency has in the past been stranded on its back and unable to self-right before being counted out. It's my understanding that there's a want for us to put numbers to it, say 65% or 80% for example, but it's chiefly down to both the design of the robot and the writer's discretion on that part, so hard and fast numbers would be completely arbitrary. Plus, say a robot of this style has a 30% chance of self-righting. There's still nothing to prevent that robot successfully self-righting every single time. The probability is certainly a remote one, but the chance of this happening still exists, that's how probability works. If one writer believes that AMP/Frequency/Eudial can self-right in a given scenario, and another writer believes it can't, then that's absolutely fine. As I've said before, there is no guarantee a robot with this design can self-right. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

BEES

Here you go, you guys

Post by BEES » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:08 am

Well one thing that struck me about IceWave was that the base was fairly narrow relative to the size of the motor, making it very top-heavy. I think a larger base than that is good. Also gotto be careful with range when you have so much weight on top. The more range you have, the easier it is to knock yourself over.

As for self-righting...

I think it depends on the weight class and the arena somewhat. I think lighter weightclasses will have an easier time righting, but conversely an easier time getting flipped over to begin with. I still think Microwave's "ziggo bar" should work, just as well as Ziggo's did, but I'm biased obviously. :v:

I am totally, maliciously, pulling shit out of my ass though. I really don't know. SuperMegaByte self-righted just fine too, so maybe I'm wrong.... I guess the difference is that with lighter bots, their weapon directly flings them over. With heavier weightclasses, they have to flop around a bit until they hit a wall and then the wall helps them out (but since they're bigger they have no trouble getting to a wall... so effectively it's about the same).

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Here you go, you guys

Post by Venice Queen » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:04 pm

ICEwave was also gas powered and therefore was kinda screwed over when it ended up upside down :P

I am honestly surprised that any of these designs can self-right since I've never seen a robot designed like that that successfully has
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Badnik96

Here you go, you guys

Post by Badnik96 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:41 pm

First things first you can't have a flat surface as the top of your robot. That kinda screws you over.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ