Evolution of design

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Evolution of design

Post by GF93 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:52 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 10:45 AM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 11:42 AM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 07:11 AM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Sparkey989</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 02:41 AM</dd></dl><div> I also might sketch plans for a new version of the Tread-Whipper name that actually does something. [/quote]
So no more harmless tassels? :v: [/quote]
Where there's a whip-

*Crack*

- there's a way. :v: [/quote]
We don't wanna go to war today... [/quote]
But the Lord of the Lash says: "nay, nay, nay&#33;"
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

Sparkey989

Evolution of design

Post by Sparkey989 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:44 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 07:11 AM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Sparkey989</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 02:41 AM</dd></dl><div> I also might sketch plans for a new version of the Tread-Whipper name that actually does something. [/quote]
More useless tassels actually.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Evolution of design

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:46 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Sparkey989</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 01:44 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 07:11 AM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Sparkey989</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 02:41 AM</dd></dl><div> I also might sketch plans for a new version of the Tread-Whipper name that actually does something. [/quote]
More useless tassels actually.[/quote]
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

Sparkey989

Evolution of design

Post by Sparkey989 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:49 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 12:46 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Sparkey989</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 01:44 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 07:11 AM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Sparkey989</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 02:41 AM</dd></dl><div> I also might sketch plans for a new version of the Tread-Whipper name that actually does something. [/quote]
Image [/quote]
hey man useless chains aren't always useless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU9_G2wLZrQ :v:

Badnik96

Evolution of design

Post by Badnik96 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:17 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Sparkey989</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 12:49 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 12:46 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Sparkey989</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 01:44 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 07:11 AM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Sparkey989</dt><dd>Apr 23 2013&#44; 02:41 AM</dd></dl><div> I also might sketch plans for a new version of the Tread-Whipper name that actually does something. [/quote]
Image [/quote]
hey man useless chains aren't always useless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU9_G2wLZrQ :v: [/quote]
holy crap dat gif

If the new Tread Wipper is anything like that then it might actually be considered some kind of threat :ph43r:
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

That Kode Guy

Evolution of design

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:48 am

Well, you all know about Shadow Zone by now. Let's talk about a more obscure creation of mine... Killobite.

Killobite is older than Shadow Zone. Far older. Like... go back to 2002, whydon'tcha. This is how he looked back then.

I'm not entirely sure how accurate that is, given that I rendered that like 3 years after I lost the paint pic. But the basic concept is there. A crusher with shitty lifting forks and side spikes. The concept of the side spikes, as I recall, was to deter flippers from getting accurate flips.

Anyway, this first version of Killobite... well obvious it didn't do very well. It beat a wedge lifter by the name of Robin, but then fell to a very similarly named and very similarly shaped robot named Killa Byte. Then it lost again in another tournament (Fowler Fic War 1, around 2003-ish) to Britespark's (you know him) robot, Platinum Pure Evil.

Okay. So that did it for Killobite. But I didn't touch him until around late 2004. And even then... well, you know, I didn't modify him much:

That's Killobite Recharged. I think I named it Killobite Supercharged at one point, but meh. Anyway the only real changes were the paint job, and that it was slightly lower, had side skirts, and very crude srimech panels (the yellow panels on top). Of course, I got ousted from FRA before it could compete. But I returned., and I decided I didn't want this piece of shit anymore.

So I made an evil bigger piece of shit:

Killobite Rebooted. Yes, that's Matrix-code texturing there. I really didn't know what I was thinking with this one. I wanted a Complete Control style lifter combined with Tripulta Raptor or something. It kinda does resembed Solve et Coagula without the boxy-ness though. But whatever. It also never competed because I also realized it was crap.

But even then&#33; Things got so much worse&#33; Badnik, I think you'll appreciate this though:

Yes, that's Cortez, or Killobite: Pirate Edition. Whichever. And yes, named after the same character from Paper Mario TTYD. Note the forks, as they will become a staple a little later on. Anyway yeah, this was a piece of fail, but it did manage to beat one of Christopher Mason's bots. And yes, in another one of Zarte's Fowler Fic War tournaments.

Here's where things started getting better, believe it or not:

Killobite 5.0. This is actually the first bot I started replicating the coloured frame theme from Don Hutson's Mutant Robots. I know, he looks rather retarded. But that iteration has done very well on the FRA forums, going 10-5 and making it to Liam Eliot's Top 8 in Robot SMASH&#33; Series 2.

Okay. I had a relapse:

Killobite Hex. It doesn't look retarded, but he had a long-ass rear that made it hard to manoeuvre. It proved that way in Liam's next tournament where it went out in Round 2.

Okay, next up... this is territory you're all familiar with, since you know about FRR: Dead Zone. I wanted a massive crushing beak. You know, like Razer. And without all the reliability problems. So this thing popped up.

Killobite Sigma&#33; He went 5-5 in FRR: Dead Zone thanks to my retarded statting of him, but strangely enough he is undefeated on the FRA Forums, where I've yet to redesign him. And probably won't, since those forums are now totally inactive by now. But damn if he didn't impress me totally, there.

Which brings us to his current iteration:

Killobite Octavius. I have no idea how he will fare, but I'm hoping he does okay. I went back to a smaller claw since that seems much more manageable, and the lifting plate with spikes seems like a more reliable way to trap opponent than the fork lifters. Viva la Killobite&#33;

BEES

Evolution of design

Post by BEES » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:53 am

The first version of V'Ger was pretty much exactly what I have now, without some of the frills. As Badnik picked up on, it was inspired by Terrorantula. The render that I used, back in 2003, was more crude but it was sort of like a steve-out spinner with clamping wheel pods. If I ever find the old renders of my bots I'll post them, but currently the 4th version is the oldest one I still have.

V'Ger 2 is literally what I have now with V'Ger 7, just better rendered. It had clamping wheel pods with huge triangular spikes on the front to get under opponents and pull them into the maw.

With V'Ger 3, I had lost confidence in the clamping system. The robot had been successful enough but I felt like the design didn't have much longevity, so I switched to a lifting system. The wheel pods had covers that lifted up instead. It became a spinner with a lifting apparatus, and that lifting system would change a few more times.

V'Ger 4 (2004)
This was, I think, one of my coolest looking bots of all time. It was so cool it did well just because it looked cool, even if it wasn't totally practical. I recall losing to MDU horribly with it, and winning a few other fights, but I think its record was average.

V'Ger 5 (2005)
This partial render never got finished and never got used. I started this modification and then lost faith in it, but actually entered it in a couple competitions that never materialized.

V'Ger 6 (2006)
Part of my first team on ARC. I had redesigned it with the idea that V'Ger was going to be my full time heavyweight spinner, and be a sort of amalgam of the roles of itself and Parasite (which I had stopped using for a few years at this point). So it was a sort of halfway-point between the two.

V'Ger 7 (2013)
So here's the current V'Ger. I had this idea over the summer of bringing V'Ger back, partly because I was feeling nostalgic, and partly because I realized that maybe there was some actual use for the clamping system. I had originally intended to do even more with this robot. I wanted to give it ABR-style forks that clamped when the robot reversed, but I didn't have time. Next time, if there is a next time, that will be happening.
Last edited by BEES on Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Area51Escapee

Evolution of design

Post by Area51Escapee » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:38 am

You forgot to do Manta...

V1

and then...

Seriously, though. The new V'Ger is badass.
Last edited by Area51Escapee on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

That Kode Guy

Evolution of design

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Boredom + looking at Spectrum of Eternity too much = this.

So uh, how does such a FBS have history you ask? Well, follow me here:

An utter piece of shit. Sound concept, right? No. Admittedly it was in my 2004 days, but I still should have realized it was somewhat... unrealistic. Anyway it was a full-body spinner with a bar in the middle, spinning the opposite way. Yeah, safe bet that it didn't win any fights. Even pathetic house robots were able to kill it.

After my return to FRA, I decided to take this bot and do something with it. What would that be, you ask? Make it even MORE unrealistic&#33;

12cm high, and that's at its peak height in the middle. And "apparently" I could fit a Lynch LEM170 motor inside. Yeah, good luck with that Kody. Despite the dumb dimensions, it was slated to defeat a rather good robot, Black Panther Queen, by Mr. Alex "DoomForAll" Holt himself. But it never actually fought once. Thank fuck, because god knows what kind of humiliation this robot would have endured. Or not.

Now here's the start of where I went back and forth between spinners being full-body and ring. but at least it was somewhat realistic this time.

Still, trying to cram an ETEK motor into an 18cm high robot would be rather difficult. :P But it won shit. AJ's own armoured box, ForcePower, got KO'd by it. And if you were familiar with ForcePower, you'd... not believe it either. It got seeded rather well in a few tournies. Also, you could say this is the forerunner for Luna, since a MW broke off from this design and became the first version of Solstice. Which some of you might have seen in the cancelled ARC: Backlash. (one of my RP threads has me calling Solstice "Epidemic" when I got the two confused... oh the n00b days...)

...but maybe you could say THIS was Luna's forerunner:

Yes, those are wedge teeth. Martijn wasn't so impressed though, as he had GeForce beat it in his little tourn. Anyway, it was another ring spinner with a srimech on top (the entire green panel). You see, I was trying to think out of the box here, in 2008, where things were dying down on FRA, and Epidemic wasn't pulling his weight much anymore. Thing is, while it did decently in a mini-tourn, that's as far as it went.

Oh, but you'll like this. You see, the problem I thought about was that, yes, it needed more power. Yes, very neat. More unrealism, sadly&#33;

Hey it's an FBS again&#33; HEY LOOK WHAT IT HAS, MINION-PAUL. A self-righting bar&#33; I almost, ALMOST entered this in Reckoning instead of SZF. Good thing I didn't, though, because Minion33088 would have ripped me apart if I did. Well anyway, its shell was powered by 4 smaller motors this time, so the low height wasn't the unrealistic bit. But yeah... self-righting bar in an FBS. lolnope. It stayed active for a year.

Enter 2009:

Keeping with the spacey theme that had sprung up with The Zenith, this was my second actual attempt at an omni-drive robot (the first was an axebot which deserves no praise at all...). It had a spinning ring that took up 40% of the robot's weight, and yet again a srimech on top, similar to The Zenith. It was GOING to win a championship, but got PITTED. :P

Anyway...

And once again, back to an FBS. You might have seen this thing in Badnik's ARC vs. GTM tourney. Decided, two years after Corona's debut, to give this thing a "solid-knocker" shape and ditch the pneumatic srimech for a flag-pole set-up. I also gave the shell even more weight. It... didn't work out too well, as you might have seen.

Which brings us to the question: how is Spectrum of Eternity an evolution of all these? At first I didn't know, myself. Then I realized there's a lot that Spectrum takes from their designs:

- a set-up with Epidemic's multiple teeth, wheels, and a similar ring
- flat tops, that Epidemic, Zenith, and Corona all had
- set-up with Corona's teeth, almost

Not to mention the fact that Spectrum was the only ARC 360-degree spinner I had in HW, barring ARC vs. GTM, and none of my other HWs on FRA fit that criteria. So it follows logically that Spectrum of Eternity succeeds Heliosphere. And considering Spectrum is the only one who's actually won anything worth mentioning, he does kind of feel special.

Shine on, you crazy Spectrum.

That Kode Guy

Evolution of design

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue May 13, 2014 10:34 pm

Boredom inspires me to do one of these posts again. =/

Let's go down the path of Troubloon, a LW here on ARC, but a HW still on FRA. He's as old and crusty as Wedginator and Killobite. :v: However, he's had the most ridiculous, and I truly mean THE most ridiculous redesigns of any robot of my team.

Let's start with this guy:

Basic 13 Black clone, only invertible. Probably would have done decently if he had better stats, or if I bothered to enter him in competitions that actually finished. =/

And right off the bat, this happened:

Troubloon Twice the Trouble. Not so much a re"design" rather than a total re-imagining of the robot. It became my first clusterbot with fuckin drums lmao... I seriously dunno what I was on. But hey, I was 15 or 16...

Oh, and it never competed btw. :v: Nor did this:

So I basically took one of the clusters and scaled it up. Meet Troubloon 3, or Dysfunction as I named it. This is also a reason why I don't like renaming designs, because I'm reminded of this barbaric line. :v: It probably would have been decent as well... had it competed.

Roll on a redesign which actually competed...

Dysfunction 2.0 (Troubloon 4). Split the drum in two flanking ones. What did they flank? A fuckin flipper. Again, I really don't know what I was thinking. :v: But it did win at least ONE match, so... whatever.

Okay now this next thing is just bizarre. And yes it again had a different name. :v:

Aftershock (Troubloon 5). Uhh... let me try and explain the reasoning behind this one. Basically the center drum spun upwards when the front was facing something, and the outer hubs also were spinning weapon and spun the opposite way for stability, since it didn't have any Barberous-like stabilizers on it. Uhh... it went 6-3 on FRA and nearly won a championship. I'm not kidding. :v:

Okay, official return to the Troubloon name. #6 please.

And a return to its first design, sort of. I dunno what the horns were for, I guess they just looked cool. It got entered in Rich Southworth's VFT 7.5 and made the quarter-finals, so that made me happy. Richard was regarded as one of the top writers on FRA for years. :)

And now for something you'll pretty much all recognize:

7roubloon. Because it's the 7th version. HAHAHAHAHA&#33;&#33;&#33; Wait, you didn't laugh? Hmph. Anyway this kinda fixed the range problem but something about the design just didn't agree with me. I think it was because his turning was way too slow. He probably would have done better than 3-6 had I not left in the middle of ARC: Aftermath.

So, you've seen that, and the newest Troubloon, which I dubbed 9.0. Where the hell is 8.0?&#33;

Right here.

Again, one of those designs where I didn't even think about the realism of it. The discs are way too close together and far too much inside the chassis. Nothing would fit in the robot, so this is a fucking bullshit design. I ought to swap 9.0 and some stats in to replace this thing quickly...

So, the other one you've pretty much all seen already...

Goes for a double-disc front end, because I haven't tried that before. If War Bastard is any indication then he should do at least decently. At least, I'd like him to go better than 3-6. :P

Prepare for Troubloon, make it... uh... a doubloon? *tomato'd for terrible joke* Damn it. :'(

Badnik96

Evolution of design

Post by Badnik96 » Tue May 13, 2014 10:54 pm

Oh hey I was just rereading this thread :V

Might do one of these posts for Slammer one of these days...
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

NFX

Evolution of design

Post by NFX » Wed May 14, 2014 1:14 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>May 13 2014, 10:54 PM</dd></dl><div>Oh hey I was just rereading this thread :V

Might do one of these posts for Slammer one of these days...[/quote]what evolution :v:

I'm not too sure which of my bots could go up for this. Kraze, I suppose, but then there should probably be another candidate.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

GF93

Evolution of design

Post by GF93 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:21 am

Talking of which, I might do one for the Dreadnought family. I might wait until more of my designs have had at least three variations to work with, though.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

playzooki

Evolution of design

Post by playzooki » Wed May 14, 2014 1:54 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>May 14 2014, 01:14 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>May 13 2014, 10:54 PM</dd></dl><div>Oh hey I was just rereading this thread :V

Might do one of these posts for Slammer one of these days...[/quote]what evolution :v:

I'm not too sure which of my bots could go up for this. Kraze, I suppose, but then there should probably be another candidate.[/quote]V1: brick

V2:brick

V3:brick

V4:brick

:v:

GF93

Evolution of design

Post by GF93 » Wed May 14, 2014 1:58 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>playzooki</dt><dd>May 14 2014, 01:54 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>May 14 2014, 01:14 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>May 13 2014, 10:54 PM</dd></dl><div>Oh hey I was just rereading this thread :V

I'm not too sure which of my bots could go up for this. Kraze, I suppose, but then there should probably be another candidate.[/quote]V1: brick

V2:brick

V3:brick

V4:brick

:v:[/quote]That's Tetris you're thinking of. XD
ICE³ ROBOTICS