Evolution of design

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Siphai

Re: Evolution of design

Post by Siphai » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:38 am

hard to think this fuckin thread is 14 years old now

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Post by Madman » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:54 am

I was in... third grade when it started.

On another note, I wonder if I should do one of these for Hoarfrost, actually...
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:42 am

I've been locked in my house for a week and a half so I dont die of smoke inhalation. this takes my mind off it. Have an anthology of a shitpost.

I've run into the same problem a lot recently. My bots don't... need evolution

Here's Hat Garage I.

here's Hat Garage II. The only really relevant upgrade was some unecessary excess wedge configurations that mostly just looked funny and were optimizations that are only worth making if you feel like going full metaslave vert asshole

This thing hit semis in ROBOT2 before getting pasted by Vorpal Bunny because my anti-hs setup had a hole in it so the puncher could still work. also it had the general problem of having an entirely inefficient weapon that didnt really actually do anything, though that would always be a problem. Those weren't really concerns when I was making Listen Here though.

I dont actually remember what was going through my head when I made this thing if I'm being perfectly honest. I remember I was trying to experiment with lighting and emitters, which is why it has glowy bits. I also remember finding that image on a facebook meme page and needing to find a way to use it.

like really Listen Here Granddad wasn't an intentional build. I just slapped a funny name on a funny image with some badass neon and called it good. I think the use of omnis was mostly as a reaction to Tabor. I've never been able to understand how rocket gets any success with that jank-ass control bot. well, that's not true, I do understand why. I can't emulate it with that bot. I can get the same idea with a me-style design though with this. it's also just kind of a reaction in general to most controlbots being boring boxes these days because everyone decided to nerf high speed builds to the point of meme status.

I had a point here though. or something. I didn't really evolve Hat Garage, not in the metaslave competitive circlejerk sense I trapped myself into before. the one we all trap ourselves into when we're not careful. the one that just about broke this community apart twice in the time I've been here. but I did evolve it. the render isn't grainy. the color scheme is better. I got better at using images as textures. I really upped my fuckin lighting game. I utilized something other than basic wheels. I cared about the fucking presentation. I made art, not a tool to bash people over the head with.

those forks are just elongated versions of these ones btw.

That's Black Lagoon II. it was the other direction I could have gone with all this omnidirectional drive experimentation bullshit. but I didn't. spinners are boring. never got entered. apparently I entered it in ROBOT4. fuckin hellscape of a tournament fuckup on my part.

version 1 of Black Lagoon. more directly inspired by sidewinder here, and not bad on the aesthetics.

Found God in a Tomato, the first bot to use the omnis on hat garage. it went like 1-5 in a tournament once. Its stats were 6/4/1/15/4. I had a reason for doing that, but forgot about self damage in the process of Big Braining the idea.

idk evolution isn't linear and things don't make sense. Listen Here Granddad, this is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass covers a lot of ground I've been trying to cover with suboptimal controlbot strats. it's got the direct blood of Hat Garage, but stuff like its thwack functionality are throwbacks to some of my earliest bots. it's still bad. it's still a fundamentally stupid design. I just don't give a shit any more dude.