Crazy Bots: New Breed City - Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:14 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>Mar 21 2015, 11:00 PM</dd></dl><div>Just working on my RPs now, but I realise I might not be able to complete them all by 5. Don't worry, I'll have them up by 6 at the latest, but I just wanted to make sure it's OK if I go slightly over.[/quote]It shouldn't be. :v:

This is why you do them earlier in the week, to avoid situations like this. :v:
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:54 pm

LW RP up, just going to sort out the other two now.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

BEES

Post by BEES » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:01 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>Mar 16 2015, 01:59 PM</dd></dl><div>but seriously this whole argument is stupid and really we shouldnt be getting mad like this. its a fucking game dammit[/quote]This argument has been a long time coming. I'm tempted to jump in but... there's some stuff we could talk about that could literally kill ARC. This is dangerous stuff we're fiddling with here.

My suggestion to writers is that this is a small community. We're not turning away people left and right. The top teams are closely matched. I think we can at least agree on that. We all might experiment a bit but we all know how to design and stat competitive bots. If someone in that group feels like they're not getting enough credit for their designs, and they're not getting results on par with what they've entered, well... they're not gonna have fun and they're not gonna stick around. Ultimately it's not robots that are really fighting. There are humans on the other side of those posts.

I'll leave it at that for now, but I will have more to say later.

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:03 am

OK, that's all of them. Good luck, everyone.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

BEES

Post by BEES » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:18 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Microwave cannot self right, one flip = dead. [/quote]

So... about this...

Like, I'm not going to claim that Microwave 'deserved' to beat Kite or anything. The outcome was fine. But I do think that this is a closer matchup than you're giving it credit for.

If you don't think Microwave can self-right, that's fine and all, but that's your opinion. I'm not gonna claim it's 100% efficient and it might take an extended time before it eventually gets over... but then again how many matches did Megabyte fail to eventually self-right? And while it's wobbling around upside-down it's not immobile, so if it happens towards the end of the fight it could still win the JD.

I feel like you're considering Microwave's weakness but pretty much glossing over Kite's weakness which is that in a front-to-front collision, Kite has a very hard time getting under. That's kind of a big deal for a bot that needs to get under its opponents to do anything. To make matters worse when lifted from any side--Kite's wheels no longer touch the ground, but Microwave's still do. So any time Kite gets benched on the teeth, it can basically get pushed around freely without resistance. Point is, both bots have issues. Microwave can't KO Kite and will only do minor damage at most because of its armor. Neither are really comfortable with the matchup.

But... that's the thing&#33; This is a close matchup. It is totally reasonable that Microwave lost. I'm totally cool with it. But it would not have been unreasonable if it had gone the other way too. And there are other matches that could've happened. I'm just pointing this one out because I know about it more, since I was in it.

The issue isn't with any single matchup per se... it's when someone continuously wins close matchups every time for four years that we start to have a problem. Individually, the wins might be reasonable but the fact that those matchups always go in one direction is where the issue lies.
Last edited by BEES on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:22 pm

I'd feel more sympathetic to Microwave if Rooster Teeth EVER got the benefit of the doubt :v:
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:32 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Mar 22 2015, 09:22 PM</dd></dl><div>I'd feel more sympathetic to Microwave if Rooster Teeth EVER got the benefit of the doubt :v:[/quote]Haha yeah, right, stupid Spatula, with his single championship, to your seven. He doesn't know your pain.

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:47 pm

lol I'm not sure what that has to do with bots with self-righting poles being able to self right (or not). Unless you're trying to say it's okay to screw one bot over and give breaks to another because one of the people hasn't won as often as the other.

I mean let's be real, I've literally entered every single tournament since ARC Vengeance. How many has Nick entered? Also he's been more willing to give spots to comedy entrants from time to time while I almost never do (I've entered bad bots, but almost never intentionally so :P ). I'd be willing to bet he'd be much closer to me in championship total if both of those things were different.
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:01 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Mar 22 2015, 10:47 PM</dd></dl><div>lol I'm not sure what that has to do with bots with self-righting poles being able to self right (or not). Unless you're trying to say it's okay to screw one bot over and give breaks to another because one of the people hasn't won as often as the other.

I mean let's be real, I've literally entered every single tournament since ARC Vengeance. How many has Nick entered? Also he's been more willing to give spots to comedy entrants from time to time while I almost never do (I've entered bad bots, but almost never intentionally so :P ). I'd be willing to bet he'd be much closer to me in championship total if both of those things were different.[/quote]My bad, I read that statement as more like a "I have no sympathy for Microwave/Spatula getting the benefit of the doubt, because I never do" rather than something specifically about the self-righting pole, but

You mean to say that this self-righting pole deserves the same benefit of the doubt as Microwaves? Even though its pretty clear it's not nearly long enough to allow it to self right? Like it doesn't reach the edge of the shell, let alone the teeth. It's impossible for it to self-right. The same's true for the updated version:

http://i.imgur.com/M9JvXmB.jpg

Self-righting poles need to be angled far enough such that they reach the edge of the body, so that when the pole rotates, it pushes the chassis far enough that it becomes perpendicular to the floor and likely tilts it back onto its wheels.

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:07 pm

All right then, but from what I can see Microwave has that same issue. It's pole is pretty small, probably smaller than Rooster Teeth's (relatively speaking since they aren't the same weight class), so I'm really not sure where you're going with this.

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:56 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Mar 22 2015, 09:22 PM</dd></dl><div>I'd feel more sympathetic to Microwave if Rooster Teeth EVER got the benefit of the doubt :v:[/quote]Hey&#33; I vividly remember writing Rooster Teeth beating Luna&#33; And God knows I doubted&#33;
Last edited by MadBull on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:19 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>MadBull</dt><dd>Mar 23 2015, 07:56 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Mar 22 2015, 09:22 PM</dd></dl><div>I'd feel more sympathetic to Microwave if Rooster Teeth EVER got the benefit of the doubt :v:[/quote]Hey&#33; I vividly remember writing Rooster Teeth beating Luna&#33; And God knows I doubted&#33;[/quote]I was more talking about in terms of self-righting. I already know Rooster Teeth isn't a great spinner in general. :P

BEES

Post by BEES » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:07 am

So... I'm being punished for matches I didn't write, with something that didn't actually always happen to Rooster Teeth, with an outcome you don't actually genuinely believe in? Am I reading this right? :headache:

Megabyte's pole, btw which is smaller than both bots' poles.

It's hard to tell if Microwave's pole is really smaller. It is clearly at more of an angle and it has a different type of weapon which should make it easier to get over, since it can fall to the side of the bot not covered by the blade. In LORE it might have more trouble with wedges on all sides... looking at it now I may need to reshape the pole a bit on the new one.
Last edited by BEES on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:20 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Spatula</dt><dd>Mar 23 2015, 09:07 AM</dd></dl><div>So... I'm being punished for matches I didn't write, with something that didn't actually always happen to Rooster Teeth, with an outcome you don't actually genuinely believe in? Am I reading this right? :headache: [/quote]I'm not sure what you're getting at unless you're trying to imply that any and all times Microwave was flipped over and TKOed was because I wrote it or I demanded it (both false btw). Quite honestly off the top of my head I can't even remember a fight I wrote for him where that came into play, there may be one or two I dunno, but let's not pretend that Microwave is going to self-right every single time.

No, Rooster Teeth didn't get flipped over in every single fight he was in, but it was made abundantly clear every time it did happen there was ZERO hope of him self-righting and sometimes they were nearly downright mean-spirited about it. Maybe that did give me a dim view of self-righting poles overall, but I don't write or control every fight that concerns them, certainly not ones my own bots are in.

Honestly me bringing up Rooster Teeth was supposed to just be tongue-in-cheek anyway.

BEES

Post by BEES » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:37 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Mar 23 2015, 09:20 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Spatula</dt><dd>Mar 23 2015, 09:07 AM</dd></dl><div>So... I'm being punished for matches I didn't write, with something that didn't actually always happen to Rooster Teeth, with an outcome you don't actually genuinely believe in? Am I reading this right? :headache: [/quote]I'm not sure what you're getting at unless you're trying to imply that any and all times Microwave was flipped over and TKOed was because I wrote it or I demanded it (both false btw). Quite honestly off the top of my head I can't even remember a fight I wrote for him where that came into play, there may be one or two I dunno, but let's not pretend that Microwave is going to self-right every single time.[/quote]Sure but let's also not pretend Kite has an easy time getting a flip to begin with....