Ruination: The Omen - Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:14 am

Well... Almost made it. :-/

Spike, well this was mostly a novelty project and he just so happened to get placed in a rather brutal division. Still he pulled a winning record out and I no longer have a winless bot in my team ranks.

Green Hornet I kinda have mixed emotions about. He was initially a last minute throw in so I didn't have much expectations for him (though I figured he was better than his Carnage showing). Making the Finals with him was great but then losing almost makes me want to write it off as a failure. Okay, maybe not that harsh but it still feels like a bit of a letdown.

Ridley... he's kind of the inverse of Hornet in a way. Again I didn't have much expectations from him since he was a rookie, but his season got off to a bit of a rocky start and the tail wasn't working out like I'd hoped. Then he turned things around pretty well and made it to the Semis. Hard to find much to complain about with that from a rookie.

Jack Frost.... This one is going to seem really harsh but I almost have to write this one off as a total failure. For one thing he finished with the second worst record on my team. It was still 9-4, but... it was only 9-4. I'm not going to mince words, I aquired Frost from Chris because I really was desperate to have another good SHW that wasn't Final Boss and I've been desperate to win SHW for a long time now. Doing well in the other classes is great, but SHW has been filled with such mind-numbing futility for me that any kind of coming up short just sucks worse than it does in other classes. I've seen Final Boss go from a great competitor to a bot that basically loses to all other wedgebots 23-22. :v: . I've seen Tali go from a promising rookie, to a bot that arbitrarily was decided to be impractical so it has no more use in it's current state. So I go out and grab Frost who apart from being one of my all time favorites from Chris's team is also universially agreed to be one of top SHW's ever. But even that's not enough to overcome my own incompitance. :P

The losses to Teresa are what I'm not really sure how to react to. On one hand it's a good bot and it's not undefeated by accident. On the other hand it's another bot that I can't seem to figure out no matter what I do. I haven't been this bitter about a bot since Underall who I couldn't beat even when Dylan threw up a lazy whatever RP. I can't beat Teresa with a wedge, I can't beat it with a spinner. I can't beat it playing conservative, I can't beat it playing aggressive. If Kody ever enters Teresa again I'm just going to enter random garbage since I know it's no use anyway. :P

tl;dr of the last two paragraphs... You know how Badnik hates HW, well I hate SHW. :v: Also Kody > Me. :P
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:31 am

Spike I feel just got put in the wrong division, and Scarab lucked out. Believe me, if the spots were reversed Scarab would have had his fat lil ass kicked all over the arena and Spike would have fucking trounced everyone. Luck of the draw, man. :v:

The Green Hornet's season was something you should not be ashamed of. Like Scarab he went from total flop to a serious finals contender, and you only lost the final by a small margin. It could have gone either way.

Ridley had a rather strong division but was a good counter against many bots, and only Snijmachine could really stand up to him, so otherwise your way was clear. I'm sure if you were in the other division you would have had no problem beating Cutie Honey, Cupid, and Klarinette, and probably would have made the final.

Jack Frost is also nothing to be ashamed of. You still got him to the semi-finals, and you forced a close decision with Teresa unlike in Carnage when Chris got beaten out by Vendetta. Frost was and still is a good robot, and you shouldn't base his "lack of" success off one tournament.

As for Teresa, well... fuck. How the fuck do you think I feel? I didn't expect the streak to keep going at all, nor to be able to defeat all sorts of robots like that. Teresa is basically an all-rounder, and that's what made me worried because I was so sure a hardcore rammer or hardcore spinner would do her in. Hell, a strong axe would have done her in. But for reasons that can never really be explained (lest my head explode) she's now 25-0 and going, and I'll likely enter her again a couple of tournies on. Until then, I can look forward to getting my ass kicked by Final Boss again, so no pressure. ;)
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:31 am

with the new rules, teresa is beatable

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:33 am

Yes yes, I know YOU hate Teresa, that much is plain. >_> Thing is, I never thought she was unbeatable in the first place. :P

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:37 am

I dont hate teresa. Its fair play if you can exploit the rules to win IMO.

NFX

Post by NFX » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:47 am

Frequency: Great showing. Put up a good fight against Merc and the eventual champion ABR, managed to net the #1 Division spot briefly, and didn't lose a single match on Lumina Cloth. =) Wedge stat being lost should help it out even more, and hopefully I'll be able to clinch some sort of accolade with it.

Braveheart The Second: Started off a little shaky, but hopefully I can iron out the issues that cropped up. Still managed to get into the playoffs kicking and screaming, and had a great match against Green Hornet. Only lost by one point, rest assured he'll be back to avenge this injustice. FOR SCOTLAND.

Kraze: Like my Week 11 RP said, I think Kraze has earned a little hiatus while I redesign him. Luck of the draw went against him, I think, Ridley, V'Ger and The Snij in the same division was always going to be a tough ask. Still, I think we will see him back again in the future, just not sure when.

Reaver: Fantastic effort by the rookie. Getting drawn against Jack Frost/Jock Strap in the playoffs didn't help, he's not really built to fight that sort of machine. Edging past Reflector Shield was a great achievement, and finishing on 8-4 is a great way to make your debut. Not too sure how else to improve him whilst steering clear of genericness, but we could still see him back at some point with that sort of form.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:45 pm

Mr not very nice 2: He improved by a minute amount??? I should have put wheel guards on. And a wedge. Hell be back, but after a hiatus.

March or Die: did very well for a 10 minute sketchup bot. Shame he got force feedback in the playoffs, but hell be back.

Mr death: Wayyyyy below expectations. He sucked. Hard. Dont expect to see him for a while. Or maybe not at all.

Corrupted politician: A mixed bag. He was doing ok, but then a few kos put him out of contention. Hell be back.

So yeah, overall i improved and did ok, taking into account how badly i did in lore.

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:27 pm

Well, looks like it's all over. Views on each of my competitors and their performances-
Tornedron- Without trying to sound too egotistical- if there was ever an example of an ARC machine being remade and taking a level in badass, then Tornedron's definitely up there. 11 wins, cold-cocked some of the best machines in the LW division, made the Semis, and the Best Newcomer Award on top of that! Asides from losing to Lethal Injection Jr, it's definitely been fantastic for him overall.

Lyra- Lyra, Lyra, Lyra. Where did it go so wrong? I didn't think she'd make the playoffs, but I had no idea she would have failed that badly. Still- 3 wins is better than the first incarnation of Marauder did, so at least something went right, but I'll have to see how I can improve her if I do decide to bring her back. Something along the lines of Flatline might make a good basis, but I'll have to see.

Master of Puppets- Despite it taking a hammering from the uber-spinners, I think Master of Puppets has definitely been the surprise package for ARC, really. Did better than expected, beat the eventual Champion (Congrats, Lian!), and got a nomination for the Coolest Robot award as well, so I definitely think I'm onto something with him. Now that I've refined the design a little, he should be a pretty mean competitor once he comes back.

Lethal Injection 2- I had a feeling the new upgrades and things would work well, but I had no idea my original SHW would do this well! Attaining my first perfect season with him felt absolutely fantastic, and honestly- with his performance in the Eliminators, I genuinely feel he could've become Champion if he hadn't been robbed of that fight with Curse of the Deep.
I've brought him back for Crazy Bots New Breed City with some more upgrades to his drivetrain and armour though, so once Rufus has had his go, hopefully that'll be Lethal Injection's big chance to make the ARC History Books.

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:34 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>Feb 3 2014, 04:27 PM</dd></dl><div>Asides from losing to Lethal Injection Jr

if he hadn't been robbed of that fight with Curse of the Deep[/quote]So glad to see you're still taking that well. <_<

GF93

Post by GF93 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:01 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Feb 3 2014, 05:34 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>Feb 3 2014, 04:27 PM</dd></dl><div>Asides from losing to Lethal Injection Jr

if he hadn't been robbed of that fight with Curse of the Deep[/quote]So glad to see you're still taking that well. <_<[/quote]It's a bit better than it was, but I suppose in some ways, I can't help but feel somewhat bitter about it. Well, that last one, at least- all I did was use a nickname for Annoying Box Rush. If you compare the two machines side-to-side, they do look quite similar.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:07 pm

Well Lethal Injection doesn't have forks sticking out of his back end... junior. :v:

GF93

Post by GF93 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:07 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Feb 3 2014, 07:07 PM</dd></dl><div>Well Lethal Injection doesn't have forks sticking out of his back end... junior. :v:[/quote]Eh, I can never tell which end's supposed to be which. Last time I checked though, the Scoop was on the back and the Forks were on the front.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

BEES

Post by BEES » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:45 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>Feb 3 2014, 06:01 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Feb 3 2014, 05:34 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>GF93</dt><dd>Feb 3 2014, 04:27 PM</dd></dl><div>Asides from losing to Lethal Injection Jr

if he hadn't been robbed of that fight with Curse of the Deep[/quote]So glad to see you're still taking that well. <_<[/quote]It's a bit better than it was, but I suppose in some ways, I can't help but feel somewhat bitter about it. Well, that last one, at least- all I did was use a nickname for Annoying Box Rush. If you compare the two machines side-to-side, they do look quite similar.[/quote]It is true, I had no idea what lifters were until I saw lethal injection. While there were admittedly many other nearly identical lifters on ARC that I could've copied, that was the two-pronged lifter that spoke to me. It inspired me so much I invented time travel, and went back to 2004, and then entered Annoying Box Rush. :v:

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:49 pm

:dawg:

GF93

Post by GF93 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:03 pm

How can you read this, there's no pictures. :v:

But yes- besides the whole time-travel thing, I'm not saying I invented the Lifter. Just pointing out that the two machines are just quite similar in lots of ways- long 4WD boxes with skirts, rear Scoops/Wedges, and the Spikes on the front and all.
ICE³ ROBOTICS