Okay so, because I am a schlepp...

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Okay so, because I am a schlepp...

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:52 pm

...I'm going to make this topic instead of just fishing for shit on Discord. It's honestly easier on me this way because it doesn't get lost underneath a pile of bullcrap.

So remember in another thread I said I was unofficially retiring about three years ago? That I didn't care about ARC? Well, I'm glad I said the word "unofficially."

I want to start another event.

Now before you all get excited, or do the opposite and roll your eyes, I'm opening the floor here and I'm gonna state some things I'd like to get out of the way first.

Ruination: The Upheaval, even though it was finished, was also a disaster in many ways and I'd like to address the shortcomings it had:
  • the separate ruleset; here's the main issue. This stemmed from the fact that I didn't like the current one at the time, even if the two rulesets were somewhat similar in the end. However, as much as it pissed me off that some people bitched about some of the changes, it was unfair of me to just expect everyone else to adhere to an entirely different set of rules than the ones they were used to, so that's on me.
  • the scale of the tournament; we had a lot of members active at the time and I wanted to take advantage of that, knowing full well that I might burn myself out. I am determined to make any event I put out a far smaller affair, so it's as easy on the rest of the staff as it is on me. Think the scale of the first Ruination, maybe only slightly larger. Speaking of which...
  • the writing staff; this was another thing that capsized Ruination 4. Most of the writers for the tournament had other writing commitments and pretty much ditched Ruination 4 for those, leaving me and one or two others with at least 20+ results each. I never want that to happen again. I do want writers who like (I'd like to believe :P) myself are unbiased and don't have too many time constraints.
  • the drama; this might extend further than Ruination and apply to multiple tournaments as a whole, but I sure did see a lot of unnecessary bitching about certain things (results, for instance) that could have easily been cleared up in more mature ways. I'd like to think I'm more tolerant of internet drama these days, but I still prefer havin' a good time as opposed to dealing with rudeness, and I'm sure you do as well.
So that's mainly the gripes I had with the last thing I ran. There may be a few other things I forgot, but that's the bulk of it.

There are a few other personal issues as well (such as having to deal with constant 10pm-6am work weeks... night shifts suck lol) but those can be by-the-by. A few are nearing their end, which is why I'm bringing this out now.

And yeah, that's my piece, and I'd like to hear what you guys think of this as well. I'd prefer if replies were kept here rather than IMs/DMs, since I'm a forum bitch, but honestly, any medium is fine.

Shoot.
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Re: Okay so, because I am a schlepp...

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:15 pm

I would enter a robot in a thing

idk about writing rn though... most of my creative writing effort goes into dnd planning these days. like maybe a fight or two/week, but not much more (but hey if half the people that enter write a fight/week/robot they enter then the entire thing will get written, yknow)

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:25 pm

I think it’s been long enough that I could do some level of results writing without going crazy. Oh and compete too.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Trihunter
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Team: Cool Story Brobotics

Post by Trihunter » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:28 pm

Yeah, wouldn't mind participating and/or helping write. I've got a job now tho, so might not be able to do as much work as I used to.
Accolades
Official participant in ARCcon Europe
ROBOT 2 FW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 MW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 HW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 Most Trophies (Runner-up)
Official voter in OSCARC 2018
Best Meme 2018 (Mimi-Chan)
Trophies
ICEcrown Champion (Steelhead)
CBC3 SHW Runner-Up (Hartmann's Youkai Bot II)
CBC4 LW Runner-Up (Scrapper)
ROBOT4 Sportsman Runner-Up (Split Personality)

British-Robotics

Post by British-Robotics » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:29 pm

I'm ready to get back into business, and perhaps new designs needed, but would be super happy to be back competing again

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Post by attackfrog » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:11 pm

I love the idea of competing but am not in a state in life where I can guarantee even that much. I could potentially be a backup helper guy if needed and if my shit comes together :V

Superbomb122

Post by Superbomb122 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:35 pm

I can write, but I've def lost the spark for RPing nowadays
Team ETHER 12-11
REDDIT: 3-2
CBC: 9-9

V900
Team: End of the Line LLC

Post by V900 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:30 pm

oh thank goodness that means I can procrastinate on starting my tourney a little longer 😎

I'd probably enter and/or write 1-2 matches a week.

Colon_The

Post by Colon_The » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:03 pm

I’m in, and am probably going to enter a weird design that won’t work well that has a self destruct button built in.

Botomatic1000
Team: Team Riptide: Advanced Robot Combat

Post by Botomatic1000 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:33 pm

Count me in as an entrant, I've been itching for some action!

Mystic2000
Team: Myst Inc

Post by Mystic2000 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:28 pm

I suppose i could try this again, just need a good idea that'd work in "ARC physics" and to relearn how stats work

Wolf51-50

Post by Wolf51-50 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:26 pm

So long as I am able to enter some of my older designs (as I have lost pretty much all interest in designing until further notice) I wouldn't mind entering a bot or two and writing some matches

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:36 pm

Seem to have garnered a reasonable amount of interest, so I'm gonna move on to the next stage of planning this.

From what I gathered on Discord, people aren't exactly keen on multiple arenas, or at least arenas that have too many gimmicks. Given that only one of the arenas I had at the time was relatively tame, I think I would just stick to that one if I were being honest. I'd have to find it again, but it was the usual box with the hammers in the corners and some arena saws in some places. Basically the old Comedy Central Battlebox.

Secondly, due to the sparseness of people, and willingness to only enter a couple bots instead of a full team, I think I would limit entries from around 8 to 12 bots per class. People wouldn't have to enter full teams, but they could team up with another user to create a full team, per se. I would like such an event to be as comfortable to everyone entering as possible. Speaking of which...

I won't exactly enforce an RP limit. I think we're past criticizing people on the length of their RPs and I know we're also past the point where we know, however the length of the RP, it's the details that matter. Though... I will be enforcing a courtesy rule. We've had a "don't be a dick to your opponent" rule in the rulesets for a while and it hasn't been policed seriously. It will be now. And I'd like to think most if not all of us are pretty chill when it comes to this as well.

And that brings me to my next point. Criticism. Which is largely fine. We need criticism to learn, to improve upon what we do know. Mistakes are made to be learned from. We do not need, however, people being assholes for the sake of it. And there's a difference between fucking around with people (I do it too :V), and actually going out of your way to be an asshole because you don't like a rule or a result (Laz, Monsterworks).

Oh yeah. I forget who brought this up on Discord, but also... deliberately gaming the ruleset. Yeah, we're not doing that this time, lads. :V

Though HFL was the one who brought up an interesting point. Rules change the meta, and in some ways we don't like. I think, because of the shock armour rule in place, it brought about a wave of 10-armoured bricks that didn't have to worry about shock damage. Now theoretically this could have (and probably has) happened with the triangle armour rule me and Nick F worked on, but this has happened with literally every ruleset since CFRC. No ruleset will be fully bulletproof, and that's why it keeps getting changed. So, rather than retreat to my own Ruination ruleset and force people to use that, I'll take a look at the current one and ask some questions about it on Discord, I guess.

As for result writing, I feel as though a majority of results will be thrown onto me and the other head-writer(s), but as long as the tournament size remains compact enough, it should be manageable.

Whatever the case, I'm again glad to see interest in the idea of another Ruination so let's see where this goes lol.
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:59 pm

Well, you know I'm down for it! Had a bit longer a break than planned, but I'm just itching to kick some skidplate again. :P

Grandore

Post by Grandore » Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:49 pm

LEt's see how long it takes until I go into a stage 10 Taco Bell White hot pants shitting rage.... I better get my demolition helmet ready. Hide the furniture people.... DRD IS BACK!