New trial-focused tournament?

Section for tournament polls. Other stuff, such as CFL All-Stars, are located here.
Trihunter
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Team: Cool Story Brobotics

Post by Trihunter » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:20 pm

I was thinking about hosting a tournament of my own. My idea for it was fairly simple to explain. Eight entrants, one or two weight classes (undecided on which ones), paired into groups of four, with the two top scorers from each after however many weeks of events going into a final round robin. However, not all the fights would be pure combat. Instead, there would also be a handful of different trials to best the other in, each one randomly chosen for each week. Some I've come up with so far include:

Normal combat
Sumo (as in Robot Wars, active weapons disabled, possibly with hazards of some kind in the ring. 1v1s.)
Pinball (Similar to Robot Wars, but with all four bots in the arena at once scoring.)
Soccer (as in Robot Wars)
Gauntlet (Similar style to Robotica Season 2 & 3, with two bots paired up into 1v1s and going at once with some crossover points. Fastest to make it to the end wins.)
Bowling (Slicked alley severely hampers traction, have to skid your robot to knock down oversized pins. Two "shots" allowed.)
Labyrinth (As in Robotica, more or less. 1v1s. The one to win the most points for defeating obstacles wins.)
Caravan Challenge (Robots are placed within their own caravan each, with each one containing four special items. Two must be destroyed at minimum, before the bot can work on the final task of tearing itself free of the caravan.)
Pitball (Like Soccer, but the robots are at the bottom of a dirt pit and have to knock the ball outside of the pit.)
Rollercoaster (Like the Gauntlet, but with no damaging hazards, and a solo time trial. Time penalties for coming off of the track. Expect some wacky track to test technical driving skills.)
Grand International (A dirt oval circuit with plenty of messy hazards. Think like horse racing but with robots. All four at once.)
King of the Hill (Four bots, nine dirt hills. Four marked for one specific bot, four as marked for one of two, one marked as available for all four to climb. Each hill has a target at the top to knock over. Knock over two signs and you're allowed to go for the "all four" hill, knock down its target to claim first. Other team's points are determined by remaining position.)
Wetropolis (Mildly flooded arena, like a few inches. have to drive bot through the water to three target poles, then reverse a 360 around them, before going back to the start point. 1 at a time, winner is one with best time (or broke down furthest along.) )

Feel free to give feedback, propose more ideas for trials, a name for it, or whatever else you can think of.
Accolades
Official participant in ARCcon Europe
ROBOT 2 FW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 MW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 HW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 Most Trophies (Runner-up)
Official voter in OSCARC 2018
Best Meme 2018 (Mimi-Chan)
Trophies
ICEcrown Champion (Steelhead)
CBC3 SHW Runner-Up (Hartmann's Youkai Bot II)
CBC4 LW Runner-Up (Scrapper)
ROBOT4 Sportsman Runner-Up (Split Personality)

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:04 pm

I'd say make sure this starts after Robo*con ends, to make sure you have enough interest and writers to make it happen
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:50 am

I wish to say, whether I enter or not, I do like the idea of this.

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:13 am

As both a long-time Robot Wars fanboy and someone who likes tricky driving, I'll be all over this like mustard on a hot dog if this goes ahead!
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Post by attackfrog » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:41 pm

I don't really know how it would work as far as the judging goes, but I too like the idea. I like that there's potential for some new kinds of designs.