ICEcrown

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

ICEcrown

Post by The Monsterworks » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:04 am

You know what doesn't get enough love nowadays? Crushers. Also shell spinners... and flippers. Flamethrowers too. Hmm, and horizontal clamps and crushers, and drills and chainsaws and pneumatic spikes and chain flails. So, is the point of this tournament to give those a chance to shine?

kek.

ICEcrown

...Not if you've got ICEwater running through your veins. That's right, the gimmick of this little dealio is ICE-powered bots. It's also been a good long time (Reckoning: Extinction) since we've had a completed Swiss tournament. That's mostly because they're really tough to manage. Well, this is one, and to make it easier to deal with, we're capping the field at ten. It's pretty niche anyways so, while it's first come first serve in terms of reservations, I doubt we'll have anyone left out. In the event of overbooking, there will be a waiting list. If we reach twelve entries, the field will be expanded. Twelve, however is a hard cap.

So, why ICE?

This is why.

Tournament Particulars

1) There will be eight ten twelve entries in the everyweight class, which will be treated as the oft-neglected superheavyweight.

2) All entries will be required to use ICE (Internal Combustion Engines) to power either their drivetrains, their weapons, or both.

3) The group stage will consist of Swiss format rounds, with the top six finishers advancing to a single elimination playoffs. The top two seeds will receive byes, while the third seed will receive the hammer. This means that it'll have the privilege of being allowed to pick which of the other three machines it'd prefer to face in the first round. The two winners will advance to meet the top seeds, and the hammer will then be passed to the first seed.

4) REDDIT Rules with the shell spinner, crusher, shock damage, and other Thunder Underground modifications will be in effect. Clutch-powered secondary weapons will receive half of the main weapon's power. However, they will have the option to increase their power by adding points to the clutch mechanism. They will gain two points for every point invested in the clutch. However, a secondary weapon's power may not exceed that of the primary weapon.

5) I'll be writing two of the matches each week since there are only six, after all. Shaba117, Madman, Rocket, and HFL have joined the writing team, and if anyone else wants to take a fight, one more writer wouldn't hurt. Just remember that we need to be a bit timely because this is Swiss.

6) The list of entries is as follows:
  1. Death's Head Sarsaparilla - The Monsterworks (The Monsterworks)
  2. Taranis - Team British Robotics (British-Robotics)
  3. Shellshock - Square Go Robotics (NoiseyGiraffe)
  4. Steelhead - Team Trihunter (Trihunter)
  5. Labrys - Team Worst Swordsman (Rocket)
  6. Screamroller - Aquatic Robotics (attackfrog)
  7. Hovercrap - Team Design Flaw (YSMQTHYLTH)
  8. IMMA SCATMAN - End of the Line LLC. (V900)
  9. The HMS Bucolic - Angry Goat Robotics (The_Angry_Goat)
  10. Maurdread - Team Obscure (Mystic2000)
  11. Detroit Iron - Tartarus Robotics Group (Madman)
  12. Chernabog - Team Instant Regret (HoorayForLexan)
A preliminary bracket can be found on Challonge by clicking this link

7) ICEcrown will be held at The Noir (thanks to Laz for designing this thing). Further arena details to be released later.

The Noir by FloatingCastleRobotics on Sketchfab

So, how does this arena work? It's your standard, 50 ft x 50 ft lexan-enclosed box. There is a two foot high wall at the base of the lexan, and immediately behind each bot is an OOTA zone. All of the black floor panels are backlit from beneath, with light shining up through the seams. In the middle of the arena is a small hump with the ARC logo. It is not a damaging hazard and will retract to be flush with the floor after thirty seconds have passed. In the corners are this arena's featured hazards: the Fatales. These are four slightly recessed floor spinners, lit up by strips of white LEDs. Once the match begins, each of the hazards' damage will scale up whenever they are driven over in the manner outlined below:
  • White: the first time that a hazard is driven over, it will spin slowly, dealing no damage. Following that contact, it will turn green.
  • Green: the second time that a hazard is driven over, it will spin at moderate RPM, dealing only one point of damage. Following that contact, it will turn yellow.
  • Yellow: the third time that a hazard is driven over, it will spin somewhat quickly, dealing two points of damage. Following that contact, it will turn orange.
  • Orange: the fourth time that a hazard is driven over, it will spin at high RPM, dealing three points of damage and potentially destroying wheels. Following that contact, it will turn red.
  • Red: the fifth time that a hazard is driven over, it will be spinning at a vicious speed and will deal four points of damage, destroying wheels and damaging body panels. Following that contact, it will turn white and will not spin any faster for the remainder of the fight.
8) Signups will run until November 25 and then the tournament will start immediately thereafter. Questions, comments, and suggestions are always welcome. Sign up below!

Have some Theme Music!

~~~~

And some more theme music!

Last edited by The Monsterworks on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 13 times in total.

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: ICEcrown

Post by The Monsterworks » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:12 am

Death's Head Sarsaparilla

Death's Head Sarsaparilla by FloatingCastleRobotics on Sketchfab

What would happen if a battlebot met a late nineteenth century locomotive boiler met East Kentucky moonshine? I honestly don't know how many people would even think to ask that question, but here's the answer anyway! I swear I wasn't drinkin' any of the stuff when I made this.

Barrel aged to perfection and supreme potency is Death's Head Sarsaparilla. A diesel-powered shell spinner (I'd have liked to do steam, but that's just not even close to viable), it uses its functional smokestack as a self-righting pole. The engine itself is a lightweight marvel of engineering, with a dry sump system, flop tube, and fuel injection to enable upside-down running. A close examination of the exterior reveals the filigree work on the teeth and parts of the shell, as well as spoked chrome wheels supporting whitewall tires, loosely based off of the 1930s-era Auburn Boattail Speedster. But dontcha go thinking this diabolical contraption is all show and no go. Step up and take a shot at your own peril.

Oh, and because certain people had to spoil this spinner's paradise by tossing a brick into the mix, have a hammer alternate configuration:

Death's Head Sarsaparilla(1) by FloatingCastleRobotics on Sketchfab

Spinner configuration stats: 2 speed / 1 traction / 1 torque / 17 weapon / 8 armour (+1 teeth)

Hammer configuration stats: 2 speed / 1 traction / 1 torque / 18 weapon (+4 turret) / 7 armour

Last edited by The Monsterworks on Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

British-Robotics

Post by British-Robotics » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:43 am

Taranis

Taranis is a Vert weapon bot and is 2WD. the robot itself can run inverted when flipped. the top of the robot also features roller wheels to help prevent the disc making contact to the arena floor and allow the weapon to carry on spinning, the weapon is poweered by a combustion engine whilst the drive for movement is powered by electronic motors.

5 speed / 4 traction / 1 torque / 14 weapon / 6 armour
Last edited by British-Robotics on Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noisy
Team: Square Go Robotics

Post by Noisy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:49 am

Shellshock - A deadly shell spinner powered by a 1.8l 2-rotor wankel engine, estimated to produce 108bhp and a lot of noise. Drive is provided by 4 A28 motors powering a mecanum wheel each, allowing it to move in all directions. The shell has 4 teeth and is made of 15mm titanium. There is also a self righting chimney should it be flipped.

Speed: 3 / Weapon: 15 / Armour: 10 / Traction: 1 / Torque: 1

Shellshock (ICE version) by Noisy on Sketchfab

Last edited by Noisy on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trihunter
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Team: Cool Story Brobotics

Post by Trihunter » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:02 am

I'll have a crack at it.

SHW: Steelhead

The Salmonids are restless. Oh, I see why...

Speed: 6
Traction: 5
Torque: 2
Weapon: 5
Armour: 12

Fun fact: ICEs hate being upside down. Let's play with that a little... I've linked two flipping tusks up to a toothless drum via a clutch, allowing for some hefty flips once up to speed. The tail is loosely articulated to swing around with movement, unpowered.
Last edited by Trihunter on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:42 am

LABRYS!
Labrys Model
Speed: 4 | Traction: 2 | Torque: 1 | Weapon: 16 (13 spinner / 11 axe / 3 clutch) | Armour: 7 | 4WD | Hinged Wedgelets

With a thumping great petrol engine as her beating heart, ARC's first lesbian robot enters the fray and looks to deliver an almighty hammer blow as well as heavy hits from her vertical spinner. An accelerometer built into the front wedge allows the machine to register when the disc has stopped, engaging the (massively overengineered) clutch plate to drop the axe down on the opponent as they're flung skywards. The result should hopefully be a brace of big hits from two sources that propels Labrys to the top of the league and her opponents around the arena like angry metal ragdolls. Lez get ready to rumble!

Walkout Music:-
Last edited by Rocket on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TEAM WORST SWORDSMAN
"The world's best swordsman doesn't fear the second-best; he fears the worst swordsman, because he can't predict what the idiot will do."

Active Roster:-
VEXED!
LW: TRILOBITE! (1-0) (Lifetime: 3-4)

Cherry Bomb Classic 4
MW: DRAGONFIST (6-1) (Lifetime: 15-9)
HW: TABOR MARK 4 (4-3) (Lifetime: 12-14)

Full Roster
Lifetime Figures: 42-51 (0.452)

Shaba117
Team: Team Stealth Productions

Post by Shaba117 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:47 am

Reserving

EDIT: Dropping my spot. It's all yours if you want, Mystic!
Last edited by Shaba117 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Post by attackfrog » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Screamroller

Screamroller by attackfrog on Sketchfab

I made this thing for the throwback tournament something like a year and a half ago now and I've given up on waiting for that to happen. Instead I'm throwing it to the wolves here. It's anything but an optimized design, and purposefully so, but it should be fun to fight if nothing else.

It's got an ICE-powered gigantic hollow drum with spiked chain flails attached. It's 2WD with some trackball rollers in the back and some flexible support arms in the front, under the drum (because falling on your face is no fun.) The armor is Lexan so that I can show off my nicely rendered internals (and because armor is for the weak-willed.)

Stats: 4 Speed // 4 Traction // 1 Torque // 15 Weapon // 6 Armor

YSMQTHLQYH
Team: Team Design Flaw

Post by YSMQTHLQYH » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:08 pm

Insert fancy introduction here
Hovercrap
More images because reasons
Stats:
Speed: 4
Traction: 1
Torque: 1
Weapon: 17(-1 so 16 for both)
Armor: 7

I feel like giving this thing a theme so here we go

Actual explanation: It´s a hovercraft armed with 2 ICE-powered counter-rotating ring spinners. I was originally going to put a dorito on it but i decided to LS swap it and then supercharge it just because that looks cooler :V
Anyways, the V8 engine has fuel injection, the pump and the other stuff that i wont bother to mention so that it can work when inverted, giving it a chance to self right with the rear pole thing. Speaking of the engine, it powers both the propellers AND the spinners.
You may ask how does this thing turn. The answer is that the spinners are connected to the engine via the mechanism that tanks use to turn; so this thing slows down one of the rings so the other spin faster than it, and that makes the bot turn in place because newtons 3rd law, if that makes sense.
EDIT: forgot to mention, the propellers that make the thing hover are electric and the big ones on the back that move the robot, those are the ones also powered by the engine
Last edited by YSMQTHLQYH on Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TEAM DESIGN FLAW
Insert funny text here

Recent history
This is very much out of date as i forgot/didn't bother to update it
Dirty Dozen -
Something Something I Regret Nothing 0-0
I Suck At Names II 0-0
OTSC v2.0 0-0

Butcher's Circus -
Evaccania DOOM 0-0

ROBOT4 -
Cyan Printer Ink 4-1 // Multiply and Surrender 2-1 // Apeirogon II 4-0 (Champion!) // Total 10-2

CBC4 -
Vindicator 4-2 // Apeirogon 4-3 // Pressure Flop II 5-3 // Padoru Machina 3-3 // Total 16-11

less recent stuff i guess
Thunder Underground -
OTSC 2-0 // Need For Spin 1-1 // FREE ICE CREAM 0-1 // Cookie Cutter 1-0 // Total (i guess) 4-2

REDDIT - Terrorbird 4-1
Reckoning: Evolution - Riptide 2-2
ROBOT3 -
Beaned 2-5 //<3 5-3 // Pressure Flop 4-3 // Omnicrap 2.0 2-5 // Total 13-16

CBC3 -
Evil Destroyer 4-4 // I Suck At Names 5-3 // Something Something Cluster Bot 3-3 // Equisde 3-3 // Total 15-13

ICEcrown - Hovercrap 3-3
REDDIT(2K18) - Omnicrap 3-3
Overall record: 70-53

V900
Team: End of the Line LLC

Post by V900 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:59 pm

it doesn't count as a reentry if the tournament never finished

IMMA SCATMAN

gas-powered chainsaw robot, lets get it

Nobody will take the weapon seriously if I give it ~14 points and say "yes, this is intended to kill the opponent", so instead it's a control-type weapon. Not pictured (but implied) is the rubber belt I can place over the chainsaw, turning the weapon into a third wheel for extra speed.

Instead of the chainsaw being on a servo arm, the dustpan up in front acts as a lifter. Whenever the lifter presses into the ground, the chainsaw moves toward the back of the robot. Whenever trying to lift the dustpan up, the entire main body rotates to bring the chainsaw down on the opponent. While it can barely damage a cardboard box, the chainsaw will do a good job of sucking in the opponent and keeping them there.

(No, the MS paint exhausts don't scrape the floor.)

Speed: 7
Traction: 6
Weapon: 3 (2 dustpan-lifter, 2 chainsaw/tread)
Armor: 12 (+1 side prongs)
Last edited by V900 on Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:22 am

The HMS Bucolic

is the drivetrain gas powered? hell yeah. is that a drill on the front? hell fuckin yeah! Do I have any plans to win? N O P E

Speed: 9
Traction: 7
Weapon: 7
Armor: 5

Mystic2000
Team: Myst Inc

Post by Mystic2000 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:01 pm

***SYSTEM REBOOT***
"w-well, it appe@r$ that tHiS softW@re is StILl worKing, minor i-issues asIDe, where was i, oh YE$, system restore"
*system restore 10%*
*system restore 50%*
*system restore 100%*
"here, feels better without glitches every 3 seconds, now to enter this ICEcrown comp"

/load file Maurdread.obj

TEAM OBSCURE

Maurdread:

ICE powered drum spinner, fuel pump + injector to make sure the ICE can run even when the robot is inverted, now you're probably thinking "wait, this is pointless, this bot can't even run inverted", which is true, BUT, see those gray arches on the top, those are KE-transfer srimech arms, hence why i needed the ICE to operate even when inverted, has a steep ABR like front armor setup so that HS don't rekt me too hard, and yes that gray cylinder at the back is the fuel tank, and yes those are exposed pipes, basically i just want an excuse to have this thing turn into a bonfire at least once, so if i fight a spinner or something and he gets to my ass and i'm screwed, i'll let writers have fun blowing this thing up in flames.

Stats:
Speed: 5
Weapon: 14
Armor: 7
Traction: 3
Torque: 1

Rocket

Post by Rocket » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:38 am

Also, just so everyone knows, I'm happy to pick up any writing slack. =]
TEAM WORST SWORDSMAN
"The world's best swordsman doesn't fear the second-best; he fears the worst swordsman, because he can't predict what the idiot will do."

Active Roster:-
VEXED!
LW: TRILOBITE! (1-0) (Lifetime: 3-4)

Cherry Bomb Classic 4
MW: DRAGONFIST (6-1) (Lifetime: 15-9)
HW: TABOR MARK 4 (4-3) (Lifetime: 12-14)

Full Roster
Lifetime Figures: 42-51 (0.452)

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Post by Madman » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:07 am

Introducing possibly the dumbest, coolest bot I've made in a long time, perfect for an Alex tournament, really...

Detroit Iron

A youtube search revealed this song, which is perfect.

Detroit Iron by FloatingCastleRobotics on Sketchfab

Fuck all y'all and your cute little spinners. It's about time someone entered a good ol' fashioned brick to spoil your fun. It's got an ICE-powered drivetrain, tank treads, and an actuated plow with optional teeth.

Stats: 8 speed / 6 traction / 4 torque / 1 weapon / 11 armour (+1 plow)
Last edited by Madman on Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:14 pm

All right I'm in!

Chernabog

Stats:

Speed: 5
Traction: 4
Weapon: 12 (11 beak, 1 srimech)
Armor: 7 (beak and wedge forward of red line receive weapon armor bonus)

It's back! (again)

Chernabog uses a hydraulically-powered crushing beak capable of putting out 8 tons of force at the tip (at the position where the tip is at the height of a typical opponent’s chassis) The weapon is powered by a 120 cc two-stroke engine designed for RC aircraft, turning a hydraulic gear pump with a rated pressure of over 2500 psi. The engine is fuel-injected, the fuel tank is designed to work inverted, and two-strokes don’t have an oil pump, so it’s capable of running upside-down. The hydraulic system also powers a pair of self-righting wings.

The sharp front skids are removable.
BORING TECHNICAL DETAILS NO ONE WILL READ
[*]Because ICEs can’t be (easily) reversed, forward and reverse control to the cylinders is provided by a valve manifold.
[*]Gear pumps are positive displacement pumps, so ordinarily running the cylinder against a “brick wall” would stall the pump drivetrain and/or cause an overpressure. The former is somewhat okay for brushed electric systems, but not for ICEs. Fortunately, Chernabog has systems to avoid this. First, an overpressure relief valve lets fluid cycle back into the reservoir if pressure downstream of the pump exceeds 2500 psi. Second, it has a centrifugal clutch just like all the ICE spinners. This means it can apply continuous downforce even with the claw stationary, and with no control input the engine returns to idle, the clutch disengages, and the flow stops.
[*]The engine, fuel tank, hydraulic pump, valve manifold, and basically all the hydraulic stuff but the cylinders is shock-mounted to the frame.
[*]The drivetrain uses two LEM-130-95 motors geared down 8:1 with 6” wheels, giving a top speed of about 14 MPH and enough torque to push and carry opponents around.