Couple of questions...

Post any technical advice and/or bot building related topics on here.
StarlessSoldier

Couple of questions...

Post by StarlessSoldier » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:32 am

So I could fire up the Google machine and research things myself but I'm being lazy and hoping someone can just hook me up with the answers. When I was last building, LiPo batteries and brushless motors were just becoming a thing so my experience is limited.

1: I've noticed that brushless motors are sometimes listed as CW or CCW and sometimes not. Are the unspecified ones capable of full power in either direction? Can they switch direction with the same response time as a brushed motor? Can any brushless ESC do this or are some limited in reverse? I need to know for needlessly overpowered drivetrain reasons.

2: Are there any formulas (or better yet an online calculator) for finding out what size, discharge rate, etc. LiPo you need in a given set up?

Badnik96

Couple of questions...

Post by Badnik96 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:53 am

I assume the CW/CCW ones specify the initial direction they turn and they can turn in reverse but I have no clue. Not every brushless ESC can do reverse. Look for a brushless car ESC if you're going that route, and get a programming card so you ensure that it works the way you want.

I have no idea about battery life. If you wanted to ask around, you'd be better off asking on the SPARC forum than here.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ