Hit or Miss and other Team AC/DC Projects

Post any technical advice and/or bot building related topics on here.
Minion33088

Post by Minion33088 » Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:56 pm

4 pits are redicuous. It took my over a year to win with Hit or Miss with those push-outs. I went to Ohio where they have no pushouts and I won the whole event in my first try...

Luckily they're looking into building an 8x4 arena. :-)

Minion33088

Post by Minion33088 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:49 am

Well, I haven't been doing too much bot-wise recently. I tried to replace the metal vdd geared I stripped, but I'm finding it nearly impossible to get the new plastic gear off the shaft of the 280 it came on. I'm bending the gear-puller before it comes loose. I dunno how to get it off, I kinda gave up for now.

In other news, I purchased a nitro engine in hopes of building a nitro powered beetleweight. I did a search on the robot builders database and I found a nitro powered mantis, which turns out to be a 6 pounder. His setup is fairly simple, and I should be able to do something similar. I'm thinking a vertical disc, maybe one of those vdd beetle blades off the robot marketplace would do nicely.

Randomness: I think I'm going to sell that nitro truck I posted a video of and get a T-maxx off eBay instead. They're 4 wheel drive, have a 2 speed tranny with reverse, and idle properly. lol My brother had his T-maxx going tonight. He was flying around the parking lot at our church when...he smacked into it. Needless to say I spent the night tracking down parts for him. He shattered his front bulkhead and bent both right front shocks. When I get one, I'm definitely going to invest in some aluminium parts.
I dunno why I posted that, I just felt like adding it in since this thread is now titled "Team AC/DC and other Projects". Getting a T-maxx will be my next project, followed by getting a head-unit for my car and possibly hooking up the amp I have. Assuming it still works.

Minion33088

Post by Minion33088 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:37 am

Ok, stage one of the beetle I.C.E. is underway- collecting parts. I have some Banebots I can use for drive, along with ESC's, batteries, and probably I receiver I can use. And I got the engine yesterday...
It's a 16 c.c. Megatech engine. With a muffler, flywheel, mounts and all that good stuff it should weight about 13 ounces. I think I'm going to make it a vertical spinner with one of the beetle vdd discs. Or I could mount the engine on it's side and make an awesome undercutter. I have yet to make a horizontal spinner, so maybe I'll do that.

Either way, this bot is probably going to take some time because I still have to get stuff for the engine like a muffler, flywheel, (with a custom pulley on it...yikes), and then rig up the weapon assembly and incorporate a brake into it.

Minion33088

Post by Minion33088 » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:28 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Andrewbot</dt><dd>Sep 30 2006&#44; 06:47 PM</dd></dl><div> wut a gay bot lolz.

Just kidding, it looks good. You should probably get a new blade, here is one I have been working on, hoping to get it cut by the end of the year for Brad's bot, we'd probably cut out like 8 or something, so I could maybe send you one, or sell it to you for pretty cheap.
Here's the design.
Image [/quote]
Did you ever get those blades made Andrew? lol

Andrewbot

Post by Andrewbot » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:09 pm

Nah, Team Think Tank isn't very active any more, I'm still competing at RoboGames, but Rick has moved to Texas, not sure what Ted and Suni are doing, and Brad is busy with college apps, basketball, etc.

Minion33088

Post by Minion33088 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:56 pm

The past 2 weeks have been so hectic I forgot to post about the Pennbots event I attended this past Saturday. It was Thursday morning when I actually realized that the event was only 2 days away, and I still had a bot to build because I promised my friend Aaron I'd build him one. So long story short, I built him a nice wedge-bot Friday morning over a period of 5 hours or so. Fortunately Hit or Miss was ready to go, so after I got home late from college I got everything packed up.
The event was earlier than usual, so I picked Aaron up at 8AM and arrived at the event 30 minutes ahead of schedule, which allowed us much needed time to tweak the bots. It ended up being a smaller turn-out than usual. Up first Aaron had to take on the most notorious Penn-bot (besides myself anyway), Spare Parts. At first he crawled up really slow and I was like "OMG, what the hell is he doing?" but it turns out he had a plan because he scooped right under Spare Parts and put him in the pit. Holy shit. Well Aaron continued his domination, working his way through the top of the bracket, while I worked my way through the bottom. I destroyed a wedge named after some Japanese thinger-mer-bob and moved through the rest relatively easily. Eventually Aaron and I squared off.
I came out with the weapon wound up and delivered several blows before my weapon motor unseated itself, resulting in a dead weapon.
Eventually he pitted me. I went to the losers bracket to rip through Spare Parts. Right after my spare Parts fight I was up again against Aaron. I should have charged batteries, but I didn't want to hold up the event. Well I dished out some more blows, eventually flipping Aaron upside down. but the damn idiot I am, his bot was the first that is exactly identical upside down. In fact, it's lower that way. You'd think a 13 year old wouldn't know how to drive upside down all that well, but it didn't faze him.
I flipped him right side up again before my battery died. I tapped out.

after the event, they did 2 rumbles. My main battery was dead, but this time I wasn't dicking around, so I brought out the big guns. I added a 3-cell 910mAh battery that probably put me almost 2 ounce over and got ready to kick the shit out of everyone. But after shredding Spare Parts' wheel, my pinion gear came off (ala ARCCON '06). I finished out the rumble, then I let Aaron drive it in the second one, still with no weapon.

The event concluded early, so we stopped at BK to eat and still got home around 5 or so. All in all it was another awesome day, and I believe I got another person hooked on robots. :-)

Next up still for Hit or Miss is a bigger battery, a new, more reliable micro receiver, and possibly a brushless "Ammo" In-runner motor if I can affort the weight and the &#036;&#036;&#036;. Right now my battery sucks major ass, when the weapon is spinning up it sucks all my amps and I can't drive the bot til it gets up to speed.

Minion33088

Post by Minion33088 » Tue May 01, 2007 10:50 pm

Well I decided to buy a T-maxx, but I also decided to keep my buggy. The T-maxx runs pretty good, but the engine is kinda worn out. Here's a picture of our trucks:

The F-150 is my new T-maxx I got off eBay, and the T-maxx with hte Jeep top is my brothers. my Little buggy is on bottom...lol

I also got a head-unit installed in my car, along with subs.

I don't think I'll be building that I.C.E. beetleweight. It'd be really cool and all, but I'm tight on money as it is and I'm trying to save up money for a trip to England next summer. Hopefully Hit or Miss will be good the way it is, because I don't really feel like spending more money on it, though I have tons of ideas. I could swap out my current Banebots drive motors for lighter ones, which would allow me to get a bigger battery, then I could get my custom disc made and it would kick major ass. But like I said, I don't have enough money to go around.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Wed May 02, 2007 10:59 am

That's some nice shit there Minion. :)
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

doom_force

Post by doom_force » Sun May 13, 2007 1:17 pm

Hey Paul, me checking in again. You mentioned a pit, would the pits happen to be those black boxes on the floor?

It looks like their new arena is a lot better for non-wedges this time and a lot more friendlier to new designs. I might have to buy some parts and get up to the next one.

Minion33088

Post by Minion33088 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:34 pm

Yeah, their new arena has 2 pits in diagonal corners of the 4x8 arena. It's MUCH better for spinners then their old arena. You should come to an event Tyler, even if you don't have a bot (I'd let you drive Hit or Miss, lol).

Pennbots is having an even June 30th. I had hoped on getting a larger battery and smaller drive motors for HoM by the next tourney but it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

Minion33088

Post by Minion33088 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:26 pm

Tyler&#33; I saw you registered for the December 1st Pennbot event&#33;&#33;&#33; Too bad they didn't have enough people and had to cancel. I was out of robots for awhile, but I was watching all my old videos last night and I think I'm getting hooked again. I meant to sign-up for the December event, but I didn't have the gas money with the holidays coming up. I'm going to try to make it to the next one though, and I have 3 ants now...

doom_force

Post by doom_force » Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 pm

I had a new little ant planned using spare parts I had. Something to compete with one more time before I lose all interest. Was a servo lifter with BBToy motors for drive. They cancelled, I stopped building. I'll try to get to the next one, though. I still got one more in me. You keep building, too.

Minion33088

Post by Minion33088 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:12 am

I still have all 3 of my ants. Just need another event to get me to get them running again.