Under The Hood: Robot Internals

Get your creative juices flowing and submit your own media, art, ariticles, or whatever you think people will find at least mildly entertaining to this site. We promote intelligence.
winternimbus
Team: Team Foxtrot Uniform

Post by winternimbus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:38 pm

<big><big>UNDER THE HOOD</big></big>

Under The Hood is a thread where you can post what's under the hood of your robots, hence the name&#33;

Post the internals of your combat robots, go into all the technobabble if you want, and run wild, but keep it realistic&#33; :v:

--

I'll begin with Neophyte Redglare's internals.

She's a thing of beauty outside and inside. Powered by military-grade Odyssey batteries, and uses a RoboteQ speed controller and a custom fan system that makes this tealblood bounty hunter tick.

Most of Redglare's parts are custom-made by Team Foxtrot Uniform, for example her dual air compressor system, and her custom-geared drive motors. The pistons are factory-certified, though.

And to close it off, here's a pic of her with her bigass flipping forks that her custom dual air compressor system and factory-certified pistons power.
winter! she/they pronouns, trans rights babey!

ROBOT FIGHT NIGHT: MINI
Break Dash - 1-1
Neophyte Redglare - 1-1

Neophyte Redglare - Robot Fight Night: Season 1 Quarter-Finals, Cherry Bomb Classic 3 Quarter-Finals
America Offline - Robot Fight Night: Season 1 Quarter-Finals

"I'm curious what tactical advantage you're hoping to gain by sacrificing a portion of your bots size/weight for a deployable banana"
-NWOWWE, 2017

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Post by attackfrog » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:28 pm

I've got a couple robots for which I rendered the internals.

The first is Screamroller, a throwback-style robot. I rendered the internals on this on in part because it's got very little armor: only see-through plexiglas (or maybe nothing, if I'm over weight.)

Its giant (but hollow) drum is powered by a two-stroke gasoline engine from a lawnmower, and the wheels are driven by a pair of electric motors taken out of an electric wheelchair. Those are powered by a pair of sealed lead-acid batteries which also serve as a counterweight to the drum.
This is a link to the TinkerCAD file if you want to take a closer look: https://tinkercad.com/things/kMDBHTriEb4

My second robot with rendered internals is Smooth Criminal, a hobbyweight.

I envisioned it as a tough, machined shell with the rest of the components attached to its underside, front, and rear. It's powered by four brushless motors, each driving one of the wheels. Maybe overkill, but gotta go fast&#33; A quartet (two pairs of two) of lithium-ion batteries power those and an electric linear actuator which raises and lowers the self-righting arm. The bottom is covered by a sheet of plexiglas with holes cut into it for the wheels.
Here's the TinkerCAD file for it: https://tinkercad.com/things/4z8pfkgtq4m

Botomatic1000
Team: Team Riptide: Advanced Robot Combat

Post by Botomatic1000 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:40 pm

The Placid Casual (Super Furry Animals reference) is a FW that was CAD'ed with plates rather than solid shapes and it has a lot of screws
Parts list:
4 Custom Lipo packs
2 Drill Motors
1 Twin-Mag
2 Solid Aluminum with rubber trimmed wheels
4 Aluminium body panels
1 Hardox base plate
4 Titanium Stabilisation prongs
1 Titanium bar
Too many screws
Last edited by Botomatic1000 on Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The moment you think you'll crash, you will" - Tony Pond
Team Captain of the IRL team, Kings Heath Colliders Robotics and Team Riptide: Advanced Robot Combat
Accolades
The New Blood: Joint 3rd with Raccoon XL
ROBOTS 3: Featherweight Quarter-Finalist with HardWired III
ROBOTS 3: Middleweight Quarter-Finalist with Der Adder
ROBOTS 3: Heavyweight Semi-Finalist with Night Jackal III
Cherry Bomb Classic 4: Featherweight Semi-Finalist with I Can't Believe It's Not Tanto
Cherry Bomb Classic 4: Heavyweight Semi-Finalist and Annihilator joint winner with Xtreme pneumatiX
Rumble In Da Jungle: Event Champion with Avanti!
ROBOTS 4: Featherweight Semi-Finalist with I Can't Believe It's Not Tanto
ROBOTS 4: Lightweight Semi-Finalist with Avanti!