Neon Knights Robotics

Get your creative juices flowing and submit your own media, art, ariticles, or whatever you think people will find at least mildly entertaining to this site. We promote intelligence.
DrummerBrian95

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:25 pm

Okay, change of plans. Systematic Chaos will no longer be the first Lightweight robot competing for Neon Knights Robotics. I'm too eager to see what Veto can do, so he will be entered in place of Systematic Chaos! Here is Veto with his new design and color scheme:

As you can see, the blade is lower to the ground.

Here's a better look at the lower profile of the main body.

In addition, the motor on top now allows Veto the ability to self-right under the right circumstances, something it would not have been able to do with the previous design. And because of the large number of undercutters in the Lightweight division, I have a top secret device designed to counter them. ;) OOOOOooooo, mystery!

Badnik96

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by Badnik96 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:42 pm

Motor should be offset and not mounted directly over the weapon shaft. Otherwise there's nowhere for the weapon to be mounted.

Other than that it looks great. Will these be replacing the bots you have entered, or will you save them for the next tournament?
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

NFX

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by NFX » Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:52 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>Jul 24 2015, 08:42 PM</dd></dl><div>Motor should be offset and not mounted directly over the weapon shaft. Otherwise there's nowhere for the weapon to be mounted.[/quote]It can work if the weapon has a hollow axle, like Frequency does. I'll agree that the weapon does look a little suspect in the center with how it's mounted at the moment, though, and it could end up going Ghost Raptor on him during a match.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

DrummerBrian95

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:00 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>Jul 24 2015, 08:42 PM</dd></dl><div>Motor should be offset and not mounted directly over the weapon shaft. Otherwise there's nowhere for the weapon to be mounted.

Other than that it looks great. Will these be replacing the bots you have entered, or will you save them for the next tournament?[/quote]Can I replace the ones I've already entered? I assumed that once you entered robots that you couldn't change or replace them. But if you can, then I'd replace the ones I've already entered in a heartbeat&#33;

NFX

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by NFX » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:23 am

You can replace your entries if you like. It's not something that's done often, but there's nothing in the rules that prevents it. Just make sure you don't leave it right until the deadline to change them, because that can annoy people. =P
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle

DrummerBrian95

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:38 am

And another question: how exactly did the way the blade is mounted look suspect? I admit I don't really know anything about engineering, but what did you mean when you said it looked suspect?

NFX

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by NFX » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:55 am

It looks quite thin in the middle, with the motor support going through it. If it was wider in the middle, it'd probably be a bit more sturdy, unless you went for an offset motor mount rather than a centralised one, a bit like Shatterpoint had during the ARC Armageddon tournament.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

RoBattle

Badnik96

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by Badnik96 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:46 pm

I'm still not entirely sure you can get away with having a hollow motor axle. The shaft would still have to rotate, so there's nowhere to put the wires going to the rest of the bot. You'd need to have some sort of pulley arrangement with the pulley powering the motor rotating around a hollow shaft.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

Toxic

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by Toxic » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:52 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Jul 24 2015, 11:24 AM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>DrummerBrian95</dt><dd>Jul 24 2015, 11:18 AM</dd></dl><div>And yes, I know Airtime is a shameless ripoff of T-Minus, but that's my favorite bot ever out of both Battlebots AND Robot Wars. They do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery.[/quote]A lot of bots on here borrow heavily from real world designs (or are outright copies like the amazing looking In The Red Square Minion :D ) so it's cool.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I get that TinkerCAD is extremely rudimentary and not as complex as most other CAD programs[/quote]Everyone's gotta start somewhere. Rhino is a pretty easy to use program (or so I've been told :v: ), but I still haven't caught up with the times and I'm now the last holdout using MSPaint. I guess it's all what you're comfortable with.[/quote]Dude I'm right there with you. As much as I should learn how to cad, I just haven't gotten around to it. Everything I do is in paint. I always have to hope that people will be nice enough to CAD any of my bots at some point.

DrummerBrian95

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:14 am

So, I was wondering if someone much more experienced in CAD could do much more detailed renderings of my designs. TinkerCAD is extremely rudimentary and doesn't really allow for great detail, and I would like to see my designs more detail, better textures, and no ugly glitches like they all have right now. If you're interested I'll PM you some more reference pictures for each bot, and two new ones I'd like to unveil using the higher detail renderings.

DrummerBrian95

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:35 am

Alrighty. I've been away for a while, but I would like to unveil: The next generation of Neon Knights Robots&#33; After the next tournament, these 4 new bots will be available for service, although they might not be entered right away. I want to see how far I can go with the current line of NKR bots.

So, here are the new bots&#33;

LIGHTWEIGHT: The Badger

From the branch of NKR responsible for the Heavyweight Ragnarok comes The Badger&#33; The Badger is a six-wheel drive speed demon of a bot that will hopefully be able to slam all the other lightweights around the arena like a kid playing kick the can. Its main weapon is a 4-bar lifting arm which, if timed properly, will lift another bot up so that it drives forward, and slams the bot into the wall right as it's being turned upside down. The robot is fully invertible but cannot use the lifting arm when upside down.

Proposed Stats:

Speed: 8
Traction: 5
Torque: 7
Armor: 8(+1 to front wedge)
Weapon: 2

MIDDLEWEIGHT: Afterburner

Possession surely one of the most frightening weapons of the Middleweights, NKR presents Afterburner&#33; It's a 4WD robot armed with an extremely high speed spinning blade with two smashing teeth. The blade spins in excess of 300 mph and has been able to shred through every kind of material tested with shocking ease. Fully invertible.

Proposed Stats:

Speed: 4
Traction: 4
Torque: 1
Armor: 7
Weapon: 14

HEAVYWEIGHT: Halberd

From the branch of NKR responsible for the Middleweight Airtime comes Halberd&#33; Halberd is a 2WD robot, which uses prototype pneumatic technology to power its devastating axe. High pressure nitrogen sends a 25 pound blunt edge cutting through the air at over 100 mph, striking with extreme force, and capable of striking up to 15 times in 10 seconds. The front wedges are designed to get underneath robots, and while it has them under its control, bring the axe down as many times as possible. Able to reliably self-right with the axe.

Proposed Stats:

Armor: 8(+1 to front wedges)
Weapon: 13

SUPERHEAVYWEIGHT: Airtime Extreme

From the branch of NKR responsible for the Middleweight Airtime and the Heavyweight Halberd, comes Airtime Extreme&#33; It is exactly what it sounds like... almost. Originally intended to be a direct 1:1 scale of Airtime up to a Superheavyweight level, that much power proved to me too much, and the entire weapons system self-destructed upon the first test fire. With the power of the flipper cut back by about 50%, more attention could be given to the bot's armor. Able to reliably self-right with the flipper.

Proposed Stats:

Speed: 6
Torque: 2
Armor: 10
Weapon: 7

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by NWOWWE » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:50 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>DrummerBrian95</dt><dd>Aug 11 2015, 10:35 AM</dd></dl><div>LIGHTWEIGHT: The Badger[/quote]Holy shit&#33; Phantasmic Slammer is invading the LW division&#33; :D
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

NFX

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by NFX » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:48 am

I do like the look of Afterburner, I think it's got the potential to be a serious player in the division. I'd consider mouting the bar slightly lower down to act as an undercutter, that would give more potency against the ultra-shallow wedges. Plus you can enter the match inverted and act as an overcutter, if that was more conducive to fighting your opponent.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

RoBattle

DrummerBrian95

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:22 pm

It's been a while, but I have been busy. And I have NEW ROBOTS&#33; YAY&#33; However, I've decided to ditch the neon colors theme, as I feel like it's becoming quite gaudy. Still calling the team Neon Knights Robotics though.

I've decided to scrap both The Badger and Afterburner from the lineup. And since Halberd is competing in /r/battlebots Hammerfall, I will also not be entering that one in the ARC tournaments. Unless one of my bots wins a championship in its respective tournament, I will be keeping my entries separate, just because I have so many designs.

So, I'd like to share the robots that will be replacing The Badger, Afterburner, and Halberd in the ARC tournaments. And I'm also going to share three new designs that will be entered into future Hammerfall tournaments, order TBD.

LIGHTWEIGHT: Locust

Locust is a 2WD double blade spinner robot. Both blades run on the same axle, one acting as an undercutter and one as an overcutter. It can spin on a dime and it's fully invertible.

Projected Stats:

Traction: 6
Weapon: 12

MIDDLEWEIGHT: Spartan

Spartan is a 6WD heavily armored robot armed with a front hinged flipper, and four ramming spikes at the rear. Fast, aggressive, and powerful, this bot is sure to create some havoc. Can self-right with the flipper.

Projected Stats:

Speed: 7
Torque: 5
Armor: 10
Weapon: 3

HEAVYWEIGHT: Skull Cracker

Skull Cracker is basically Rampage's meathead cousin. 4WD and heavily armored, it also features a powerful spinning drum in addition to its pushing power for maximum carnage. And it the drum goes out, it can resort to ramming its opponents with its front spiked plow. Fully invertible and drum is reversible.

Projected Stats:

Speed: 5
Torque: 5
Armor: 8(+2 to front plow)
Weapon: 8

Now, onto my Hammerfall bots. These will all appear in future Hammerfall tournaments, and if one of them wins the championship, I'll bring it over here to see if it can match that success. Just like if one of my heavyweights wins the ARC championship, I'll bring that over to Hammerfall to try and match the success.

First up: PANDEMONIUM&#33;

Pandemonium is a quick and accurate 4WD robot with a powerful flipping arm. It's agile enough to always hit precisely where its aiming, and the flipper is powerful enough to toss its opponents over 3 feet in the air&#33; Can self-right.

Projected Stats:

Traction: 7
Torque: 3
Armor: 8
Weapon: 6

Next up: WARTHOG&#33;

Warthog is a brutish 4WD lifter bot. In addition to its phenomenal strength, it has a set of lifting forks that rotate a full 360 degrees, meaning they can be used when inverted. It also has a special wedge attachment used to counter spinners. And yes, the wedge can work effectively inverted too. I just bring the arm over 180 degrees and the wedge becomes functional again.

Projected Stats:

Torque: 8
Armor: 9
Weapon: 3

And finally: VORTEX&#33;

Vortex is <del>a goddamn work of art</del> a 6WD robot armed with a very large, very destructive vertical flywheel. Powered by twin high speed, high torque motors, the blade spins at upwards of 180 mph at the teeth, with the drive belts fully contained in the truss structure. It also has extremely low hinged side skirts for excellent wedge protection, but if it does end up flipped, cannot self-right. Regardless of how its fights go, whether it wins or loses, it will be a spectacle, which is what the robot is designed to do.

Projected Stats:

Traction: 3
Weapon: 15

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by GF93 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:32 pm

Sweet- I particularly like the look of Vortex and Locust, very nice-looking spinner designs. Though is it just me, or does Spartan look like it has surface-to-air missiles on its sides? :P
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."