Neon Knights Robotics

Get your creative juices flowing and submit your own media, art, ariticles, or whatever you think people will find at least mildly entertaining to this site. We promote intelligence.
DrummerBrian95

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:10 am

Recently I signed up for Ruination: Contagion with 4 bots I designed in TinkerCAD, but I realized something. One of the bots I didn't enter had a really sleek color scheme of black and neon green, and after I entered the bots for the tournament, I decided that was a theme I wanted to continue. So, I created Neon Knights Robotics. From now on, all robots I design will have an eye-popping color scheme of black w/ neon, neon w/ black, or neon w/ neon. To start with, I have 4 robots, one for each weight class. Some of the designs are very basic and kinda poor honestly, but I had never used any kind of CAD until just a few days ago.

LIGHTWEIGHT: Systematic Chaos

For the Lightweight division, NKR has created Systematic Chaos. It's a small and compact design, with two parallel spinning blades: one barely skimming above the floor as an undercutter, and one higher up to cut through the opponent's armor. The blades run off of the same axle and spin at over 3000 rpm, and are capable of easily cutting through 1/8" steel. At the rear is a steel scoop that is designed to absorb hits from spinners, and is specifically designed to perform the same when the robot is inverted. The drawback is that if one blade is disabled, both blades are disabled because they run off the same motor and axle.

MIDDLEWEIGHT: Airtime

For the Middleweight division, NKR presents, pound-for-pound one of the most powerful flippers ever put onto a fighting robot, Airtime. In test runs, Airtime was able to throw a 150-lb block of steel over a bar 6 feet high, placed 3 feet away, with 6-12 inches to spare. When fired, the power of the flipper causes the entire robot to jump into the air up to 12 inches measured from the point closest to the ground. The drawback is that each CO2 tank can only provide 12-16 flips before needing to be replaced.

HEAVYWEIGHT: Ragnarok

For the Heavyweight division, NKR presents Ragnarok. Ragnarok was designed to push other robots around the arena, pin them against the wall, and then deliver blows with its powerful puncturing axe. The scoop at the front can withstand most spinning weapons, and the axe has successfully pierced steel up to 3/16". The drawback is that the armor protecting the wheels is not particularly strong.

SUPERHEAVYWEIGHT: Nitro Express

For the Superheavyweight division, NKR presents the bot that started it all, Nitro Express. Named after the .600 Nitro Express handgun, the most powerful ever made, the bot features a powerful spinning drum capable of shredding through almost any kind of armor. Along the edges, the bot has extra thick armor to provide additional protection against hits from vertical spinners, and the neon green tires, accents, and weapon inspired the creation of Neon Knights Robotics. The drawback is that the robot is highly vulnerable to overhead strikes.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:13 am

Some pretty slick stuff for a newcomer, particularly Ragnarok. Keep up the good work man!
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

DrummerBrian95

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am

Thanks man! Ragnarok is without a doubt the one I'm most proud off, it came out gorgeous. And Nitro Express was actually the second bot I designed, aka my second ever attempt at CAD. I get that TinkerCAD is extremely rudimentary and not as complex as most other CAD programs, but I still surprised myself with how well these bots came out.

And yes, I know Airtime is a shameless ripoff of T-Minus, but that's my favorite bot ever out of both Battlebots AND Robot Wars. They do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery.

NWOWWE

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:24 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>DrummerBrian95</dt><dd>Jul 24 2015, 11:18 AM</dd></dl><div>And yes, I know Airtime is a shameless ripoff of T-Minus, but that's my favorite bot ever out of both Battlebots AND Robot Wars. They do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery.[/quote]A lot of bots on here borrow heavily from real world designs (or are outright copies like the amazing looking In The Red Square Minion :D ) so it's cool.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I get that TinkerCAD is extremely rudimentary and not as complex as most other CAD programs[/quote]Everyone's gotta start somewhere. Rhino is a pretty easy to use program (or so I've been told :v: ), but I still haven't caught up with the times and I'm now the last holdout using MSPaint. I guess it's all what you're comfortable with.
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

NFX

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by NFX » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:26 am

I am liking the looks of these. =) Can't disagree with Josh, these are some good designs for a first-timer around here. Really looking forward to seeing where you can go from here with them.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:24 pm

I must say, for a newcomer you have some pretty good stuff here, and I definitely like the colour scheme of them. I know Nick S (Spatula) and Ryan (Ry_Trapp0) had their own team colour schemes as well.

Nitro Express in particular looks amazing, and should do really well in the current metagame, should you enter it in a tournament with good stats. Stats might get confusing, and I know the rules have been changed a lot since CFRC/ARC started many years ago, but don't let that get you down. :)
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

DrummerBrian95

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:48 pm

Wow, I'm really flattered by the compliments I'm getting on these designs&#33; I've looked through some of the tournament sign ups to see some of the other designs people have made, and I was honestly a little intimidated to show mine because of how much better everyone else is. I guess I shouldn't have been worried about it, since most people here I bet have been doing this for years, whereas I've only been doing it a few days. Because my computer is well beyond its life expectancy and basically under computer hospice care right now, I can't run any CAD program more advanced than the one I'm using now. But a new computer is high on the list of things to buy soon, so when that happens I'll be able to make even better designs&#33;

And while I am using a team color scheme, it will be more than just black and neon green. Each new addition in a weight class will use a different color scheme, but each "generation" of bots will use the same color scheme. This generation of bots is black w/ neon green, and I think the next generation will be black w/ either neon pink or neon yellow, haven't decided yet.

British-Robotics

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by British-Robotics » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:53 pm

Liking these deisgn's mate, for a newcomer I'm blown away, my colour scheme is usually white with blue and red, sometimes to resemble the colours of the Union Jack. I best keep a big eye on your bots, could be a potential threat :). Other than that, keep up the good designs and I hope you do well in your first tournament at Ruination :)

DrummerBrian95

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:02 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>British-Robotics</dt><dd>Jul 24 2015, 01:53 PM</dd></dl><div>Liking these deisgn's mate, for a newcomer I'm blown away, my colour scheme is usually white with blue and red, sometimes to resemble the colours of the Union Jack. I best keep a big eye on your bots, could be a potential threat :). Other than that, keep up the good designs and I hope you do well in your first tournament at Ruination :)[/quote]Thanks&#33; I'm excited for it, even though none of these bots will be in it. I didn't decide until after I had already entered that I wanted to keep with a neon theme. Whatever tournament comes after this one though, you guys better watch out&#33; :) How long is it usually between tournaments here?

British-Robotics

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by British-Robotics » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:03 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>DrummerBrian95</dt><dd>Jul 24 2015, 02:02 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>British-Robotics</dt><dd>Jul 24 2015, 01:53 PM</dd></dl><div>Liking these deisgn's mate, for a newcomer I'm blown away, my colour scheme is usually white with blue and red, sometimes to resemble the colours of the Union Jack. I best keep a big eye on your bots, could be a potential threat :). Other than that, keep up the good designs and I hope you do well in your first tournament at Ruination :)[/quote]Thanks&#33; I'm excited for it, even though none of these bots will be in it. I didn't decide until after I had already entered that I wanted to keep with a neon theme. Whatever tournament comes after this one though, you guys better watch out&#33; :) How long is it usually between tournaments here?[/quote]My estimation would be at least a couple of months

NWOWWE

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:06 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>British-Robotics</dt><dd>Jul 24 2015, 02:03 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>DrummerBrian95</dt><dd>Jul 24 2015, 02:02 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>British-Robotics</dt><dd>Jul 24 2015, 01:53 PM</dd></dl><div>Liking these deisgn's mate, for a newcomer I'm blown away, my colour scheme is usually white with blue and red, sometimes to resemble the colours of the Union Jack. I best keep a big eye on your bots, could be a potential threat :). Other than that, keep up the good designs and I hope you do well in your first tournament at Ruination :)[/quote]Thanks&#33; I'm excited for it, even though none of these bots will be in it. I didn't decide until after I had already entered that I wanted to keep with a neon theme. Whatever tournament comes after this one though, you guys better watch out&#33; :) How long is it usually between tournaments here?[/quote]My estimation would be at least a couple of months[/quote]Image

I mean really they've been starting up much quicker than that recently. That might change though.

DrummerBrian95

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:58 pm

Neon Knights Robotics has a brand new robot to add to their arsenal&#33;

Introducing, for the Lightweight division: VETO&#33;

Veto is a Lightweight robot from NKR, and is currently next in line in the Lightweight division after Systematic Chaos. Once the latter is retired from combat, the former will make his debut to competition. Inspired by the iconic and ever-imitated Hazard, Veto features the same overhead spinning blade, except the builders learned from Hazard's one fatal flaw. In Battlebots, 3-time defending Middleweight champ hazard lost when his skirt got caught in his spinning blade, jamming it, and allowing him to be flipped. His opponent managed to exploit a gap in Hazard's skirt, and flip it into his own blade. Veto has the same anti-flipper skirts, except there are no gaps on him. The blade is sharpened to the point where a human can hold it in their hand and use it to cut small branches like a machete. Imagine what it can do to a robot while traveling at close to 200 mph&#33;

British-Robotics

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by British-Robotics » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:50 pm

Hoh boy, stop that&#33;. Your starting to scare me XD. I'm underestimating your designs completely. I think your going to do really well for your debut.

DrummerBrian95

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by DrummerBrian95 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:12 pm

I've actually redesigned Veto a little bit since posting this. Looking through past events, I noticed that many lightweights are very very low to the ground, so to make it fare better I made the body of the bot a little shorter to have the blade lower, and moved the motor on top a la Icewave. Also, I noticed there's a large number of undercutters that could get under my blade and damage the armor, so I came up with a little surprise for that too&#33; ;)

NFX

Neon Knights Robotics

Post by NFX » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:13 pm

Simple, solid and effective design here. Should be a very tough competitor with the right stats. =)
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy