Ice Cubed Robotics

Get your creative juices flowing and submit your own media, art, ariticles, or whatever you think people will find at least mildly entertaining to this site. We promote intelligence.
NFX

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by NFX » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:45 pm

Looks like a reasonably solid design. Should put in a fairly solid performance, I reckon.

Although the flipper's covering more than 1/3 of the bot, so I don't think it's eligible for a Weapon Armour bonus, might be something to keep in mind. ;)
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:48 pm

Thanks, Nick! But yup, I did keep that in mind, and here are the stats so far-

Speed- 5
Traction- 4
Torque- 3
Weapon- 9 (Powerful- and I do mean powerful- Pneumatic Flipper running on CO2 gas)
Armour- 9

Not entirely sure if this makes it too slow, so any guidance here would be appreciated.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

GF93

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:49 pm

Also, just finishing off the design for Genghis, which should be ready within a few days if we're lucky. Not revealing much just yet, but it's looking seriously cool right now. And fucking enormous. :v:
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

GF93

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:51 pm

Although it's a little bit later than I said it'd be, and it's in the "Arenas" thread already, I might just do a formal introduction for this guy.

Introducing Genghis- Ice Cubed Robotics' House Robot for the Cherry Bomb Classic. Weighing in at approximately 771kg (1700lbs) and with the vicious temperament to match, this metallic monstrosity is mostly designed around the ability to pick up and chuck almost any robot around like a loose leaf in an Autumn breeze with its giant Mr Psycho-esque Crushing/Grabbing Claw on a moveable arm that can carry around even Superheavyweights with relative ease and drop them out of the arena. It's also complemented by a powerful spinning disc on its right arm that can adjust angles between horizontal and vertical modes, a surprisingly fast and powerful track-based drive system, a low centre of gravity to stop him overbalancing and tipping over when carrying robots, and is well-protected with ploughs and very thick armour all-over to ensure that if anyone wants to take him on, he's going to get them first.

So don't cross him...or else be prepared to have him send your bot's crushed carcass hurtling to its doom. Fancy intro aside, thoughts?
ICE³ ROBOTICS

NFX

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by NFX » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:23 pm

Very, very good picture of it. I like the congealed blood splatters particularly. It does definitely put me in mind of Sir Killalot, though, but that's not exactly a downside if that's what you were going for.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

GF93

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:08 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Oct 11 2016, 08:23 PM</dd></dl><div>Very, very good picture of it. I like the congealed blood splatters particularly. It does definitely put me in mind of Sir Killalot, though, but that's not exactly a downside if that's what you were going for. [/quote]Much appreciated, Nick&#33; The Sir Killalot-like basis was actually intentional- to be honest, I felt like some of the House Robots at the time I was designing it could pass for regular competitors with better stats (IE. Teresa, Silver Sonic), so I figured- "why not do one that feels like a house robot you'd see on TV?". With that in mind, I decided to build Genghis around the idea of it having a set theme and looking it could potentially be on something like Robot Wars or the associated live events.

But yup, great to see you like it. I think the congealed blood splatters were particularly cool as well, fits in nicely with who he's named after. :P
ICE³ ROBOTICS

GF93

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:39 pm

Just to blow the cobwebs off (again), I'm gonna show something a little different this time around. Some time ago, some of you might remember that I tried to host a competition (Day of Wreckoning) which never really got off the ground- and lately, I looked back into the idea, and thought- "you know what'd be cool? If I could design my own venue for it, one that could potentially work as a fun alternative to the ARC Arena&#33;". So I went ahead and made a mock-up for my own little arena for it.

Not exactly to scale at this moment in time of course, but I was thinking that this'd be quite an interesting potential project to eventually do- a large arena (approximately 50ft square not including the trench, so about the size of the current Robot Wars Arena) to do battle in, contemplated by a variety of hazards, both old and new. For a quick rundown of what everything does, check below- the walls themselves have no hazards, and are instead lined with red-and-black striped steel wedges, sort of like the ones lining the walls of the current RW Arena.

1) Starting Squares
The robots start in these at the beginning of each fight, obviously.

2) Release Switch
A heavy-set bumper on the north side of the arena that activates one of two randomly-selected things if hit by a robot. It'll either open the Pit (described in 10), or lower the arena wall on the south side. Once hit, it cannot be used again for 1 minute, adding an element of risk for anyone wanting to go for the Pit immediately.

3) Lower Arena Wall
The entire back half of the arena wall on the south side is mounted on a hydraulic lift that can lower the height of it (to approximately 3ft, as opposed to a much higher height normally) as one of two potential options when the Release Switch on the other side of the arena is hit. This effectively opens up one side of the arena to be used as an OOTA Zone.

4) Trench
A lowered "side pocket" of the arena that is cut off from the rest of it by the lowerable arena wall mentioned above, and is lined with a fireproof crash mat for falling onto. It's hard to get to without some foresight and planning (or a really, really strong flipper)- but get flipped into that, and it's curtains.

5) Pulverisers
The classic hazard from Battlebots events, these giant corner-mounted hammers are especially dangerous to be pushed into if you've got low armour or a flat top.

6) Broilers (NEW)
The other danger lurking in the corner, this new hazard is a nasty surprise designed especially for robots that are flammable or have low armour/ground clearance. Consisting of a triangular grille set about 1 inch down from the rest of the arena and cut off from it via a short, steep ramp, it's lined with powerful flamethrowers set up under said grille and into either arena wall facing into it for maximum burnination. Escapable but difficult to do so with a low ground clearace, they're more than capable of reducing a robot to a mechanical grilled-cheese sandwich if they get stuck there.

7) Floor Flipper
Fly on your way like an eagle, fly as high as the Sun&#33; This floor-mounted pneumatic catapult activates if a robot sits on it for more than two seconds at a time, launching them across the arena with considerable power. Especially dangerous to slower or more lightweight robots, so don't stick around&#33;

8) Killsaws
Rust in pieces&#33; The other Battlebots staple, these razor-sharp spinning saw blades rise up from the ground to slice through exposed tracks, tyres and other vulnerable things with enough purchase, or alternatively fling robots across the ground.

9) Ramrods
FLOOOOOOOOOR DILDOOOOOOOOOOS&#33; These hazards that appeared in both BB and RW to some extent return, and are sharp spikes with hardened tips that appear in groups of six and rise slowly out of the ground to lift, impale or hang up any robot that strays too close for comfort.

10) Pit of Oblivion
And of course, couldn't design an arena without including one of these in it somewhere. As mentioned prior, it's one of two potential things that can be activated by the Release Switch on the northern arena wall, and when that happens, it descends to approximately 3ft down and eliminates any bot that remains stuck in it for more than 20 seconds, if they're dropped in after already being immobilised, or if they're left in there at the end of a fight- so much like the rules regarding it for the live circuit, and intended to work as a means of being useable, but at the same time not a surefire way of winning.

So yup. It's not exactly an active thing at the moment, but I found it and I wondered what you all thought of it so far in case I do end up resuming work on it. Some of the hazards (the Killsaws and Ramrods in particular) may end up being removed or altered later on though, so there's that, and by extension, any questions, thoughts or advice on it at this stage would be appreciated.
ICE³ ROBOTICS

GF93

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:14 pm

So with the general mood on ARC down since the US Elections, I've decided to do my bit to help both it and America with ICR's first proper assbot, and something for everyone to have fun ripping apart-
TRUMP EX MACHINA, my MW entry for Robot Bastards 2, and of course based on ol' Cheeto Mussolini himself. The other two real entries are still to come, but I think this one came out pretty good for a fully fledged joke entrant. :v:
ICE³ ROBOTICS

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:30 pm

Alex Valentine is the hero we deserve.
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:42 pm

XD
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by The Monsterworks » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:17 am

LMFAO. It makes me wanna enter something destructive in Middleweight. :P
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

BEES

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by BEES » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:37 am

It's beautiful, and at the same time terrifying.

GF93

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:22 pm

Thanks, everyone&#33; Just got my second entrant...s ready-
- because you can never have too many multibots&#33;
ICE³ ROBOTICS

GF93

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:51 pm

So since my last attempt at an arena didn't go over...massively well due to various issues with it, I've decided to have another crack at the whole arena-designing business. In particular, refining the look a bit more, reshuffling the hazards and how they work, and adding loads more floor space to it (and scale&#33;) in order to not only make it much more practical for fighting in, but also to give more of an idea of how I could imagine it looking.

Ice Cubed Coliseum
"A more recently-opened venue designed for UK-based robot combat competitions, the Ice Cubed Coliseum was opened and sponsored by the region's most successful ARC team. With a thick steel floor and bulletproof lexan shielding and outfitted with a number of tricky traps and hazards whilst still maintaining enough floor space for a good brawl, it's designed for maximum safety on the outside and pure robotic torture on the inside. And whilst it may take inspiration from the coliseums of Ancient Rome...today, Lions would fear being thrown to these robots&#33;"

And for a scout around the various features of the arena, there's a quick guide to them all below. I'm not sure what to have the arena walls lined with yet, but I'm thinking probably thicker versions of the wedge walls all-round, except at the corners, entrance doors, and the areas where the wall is used (Drop Zone, Mangle, Roulette of Wreckoning), and also applying the rough-grain surface to the floor that the Robot Bastards arena has to nerf pressing wedges. But, anyway&#33;

1) Pit of Despair
Always a crowd favourite but hardly ever used on ARC, this staple of Robot Wars appears here as a potential game-changer...or a game-ender for anyone not wary of it. It starts out closed in the match, with the top panel and edges being flush with the floor (and therefore not getting in the way of robots with low ground clearance), but is one of three potential hazards that can be activated using the Roulette of Wreckoning at the top end of the arena.
When it does, it descends to approximately 3ft deep, fills with smoke, and should anyone fall, be pushed, or even rather stupidly drive in- it eliminates any bot that remains stuck in it for more than 20 seconds, if they're dropped in after already being immobilised and counted out, or if they're left in there at the end of a fight. So, much like the rules regarding it for the live circuit, and intended to work as a means of being useable, but at the same time not a sure-fire way of winning.

2) Floor Flipper
Fly on your way like an eagle, fly as high as the Sun&#33; This floor-based pneumatic catapult might be mounted like the Pit (in that it runs flush with the floor to avoid catching on low-driving robots), but it activates if a robot sits on it for more than two seconds at a time, launching them across the arena with considerable power. It's especially dangerous to slower or more lightweight robots, and in this version, has been mounted so that if the Pit's open at the time, it can potentially hurl a particularly unlucky machine into it from across the arena. So don't stick around&#33;

3) Broiler
Just one of these this time around for the sake of diversity, but still just as much of a hot place to hang out as ever&#33; It's a nasty surprise designed especially for robots that are flammable, or have low armour/ground clearance. Consisting of a triangular grille set about 1 inch down from the rest of the arena and cut off from it via a short, steep ramp, it's lined with powerful flamethrowers set up under said grille and into either arena wall facing into it, for maximum burnination from both the sides and underneath. Escapable but difficult to do so with a low ground clearace, they're more than capable of cooking a robot like a mechanical grilled-cheese sandwich if they get stuck there.

4) Impalers
Abra, abra-kebabra&#33; They're gonna reach out and stab ya&#33; Another change from the usual Pulverisers and Killsaws, this corner is rigged up with a set of six thick spikes with hardened tips that poke up from underneath the floor quite quickly to lift, impale or hang up any robot that strays too close for comfort, staying up longer (about three seconds) if a robot gets caught on them. So, considerably more painful to drive over than any plug or bucket of Lego you'll find&#33;

5) Release Switch/Roulette of Wreckoning
A little something for all the gamblers and strategists of the ARC world&#33; This tough reinforced bumper serves as a release mechanism for one of the three deadliest arena hazards (The Pit of Despair, the Mangle, and the Drop Zone) selected at random, along with a space in which nothing happens. However, once the button has been hit once, it cannot be used again for 45 seconds, adding an element of risk to the proceedings for anyone wanting to go for the Pit immediately.

6) The Drop Zone
Now considerably smaller and renamed from what it used to be, this is now a lowered "side pocket" of the arena (about the same depth as the Pit) that is cut off from the rest of it by a lowerable polycarbonate wall behind the regular arena barrier, and is lined with a fireproof crash mat for falling onto. By default, the polycarbonate wall blocks it off, but if the option for this comes up on the Roulette, it drops down to a much lower height, opening up a spot for flippers to chuck opponents into to immediately eliminate them. It's pretty hard to get to without some foresight and planning- but get flipped into this, and it's curtains.

7) The Mangle
No, not the God of Randomness. :v: It's actually a pretty monstrous new hazard (that's some unholy mixture of the Screws, the Drum, and an obsessive desire for smashing robots) that consists of a row of thick, one-toothed hardox spinning discs that are arranged in a row. They start out switched off by default, but if they come up on the Roulette, then they start spinning upward at a frankly terrifying speed for a minute- making them a great spot to push robots into to quickly cause some spectacular damage, or throw them across the arena if they're tough enough to survive. Rust in Pieces&#33;

8) Starting Squares and Entrance Ramps* (*With Dreadnought Mk3 and Josh's Redemption Denied for HW scale.)
A spin on the classic starting square, designed to deter box-rushing, provide more space to the arena, and add an element of strategy to the proceedings for both spinners and rammers. The robots start off sealed away from the arena by a set of raising/lowering doors inside a pen containing their respective square (this area can also be used for pre-match checks and tests), which open up as the countdown to start the match begins, and then close up again 10 seconds after the robots have left their respective corners to prevent them from being used as camping or blind spots.

9) Robot Control Area
Of course, this is the protected area where the teams control their robots from. It's slightly raised compared to the rest of the arena, allowing a good view of the whole arena, has both stair and ramp access for good all-round accessibility for the teams involved, and it's equipped with both the button to stop/start the match and a screen with the immobilisation timer and other statuses on it (ala the new series of Robot Wars). Plenty of space for the presenters in any interviews, too&#33;

And finally, it's got all the seating and everything in it as well to really complete the look. So with that, I'm genuinely quite pleased with how this has turned out, and hopefully this has significantly improved from the original design in terms of both looks and practicality as a potential battlefield for ARC. Thoughts?
ICE³ ROBOTICS

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by Madman » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:09 pm

Looks fuckin' good. I might eventually clarify how much damage some of the hazards do, at least roughly, but overall I really like it.
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49