Kody's render thread

Get your creative juices flowing and submit your own media, art, ariticles, or whatever you think people will find at least mildly entertaining to this site. We promote intelligence.
NFX

Kody's render thread

Post by NFX » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Looking nice. Reminds me of Ripper Evo from the Roaming Robots circuit slightly. Should be pretty good when it's finished.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Kody's render thread

Post by That Kode Guy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:28 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Feb 4 2012&#44; 02:28 PM</dd></dl><div> Looking nice. Reminds me of Ripper Evo from the Roaming Robots circuit slightly. Should be pretty good when it's finished. [/quote]
Ironically, it's pretty much completely based on the new version.
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

That Kode Guy

Kody's render thread

Post by That Kode Guy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:02 pm

Incidentally, can anyone (Dylan or NFX [it's Scottish&#33; :P] most possibly?) help me do a rather complex render? I've tried this myself and failed quite many times...the box shape is the only part that's doable, really...

Stats from my stat bank:

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Macduff the 6th

Shape: Pretty much the same as ever; a box with a flat front end and pointed sides with skirts on them. The rear is now also pointed, and it also has a skirt, which connect with the side skirts ala Biohazard. The skirts have some weight-reducing carvings in them; mostly though, they are there to make the skirts look cool. :P They're also hinged along the middle so they work exactly the same when inverted.

Colour: The Scotland flag, of course&#33; It's on top and bottom as ever, surrounded by many blues on the sides; the side and rear skirts are tartan-coloured&#33;

Weight: 107-110kg (changes with set-ups; can change this to 100kg for different tournaments)

Drivetrain: Macduff the 6th's drive now consists of a hydrostatic system, with a 8.6hp 121.6cc Stihl MS 880 chainsaw engine driving one axial piston pump at 1500psi, and that controls the two hydrostatic motors using proportional valve gear, which in turn power 2 tank-style tracks. The benefits of such a system include a massive boost of torque, since the motors can be fitted directly to the rollers moving the tracks. Added to this is the excellent traction given by the tracks already. Case in point, Macduff will be able to turn much faster than other tracked machines, yet suffer very little control problems as a result, and has enough brute force to push nearly anything back, at nearly any speed, so you're looking at massive amounts of power here, no joke. The tracks themselves are made of linked Ti/V pieces specifically designed with an overlap over the joints to withstand blows, even from vertical crushers, and the entire tracks are helped held in place by copper springs to minimize the damage axes do.

Speed: Average speed is usually around 12-15mph. Top speed is around 35mph. The hydrostatic drive keeps its control and power constant at all speeds.

Armour: Macduff's body armour consists of 5mm carbon fibre with a mesh/fencing of 5mm Ti/V on top of it, which is side/rear armour, top/bottom panels which have 3.2mm Hardox 450 instead, and 7.5mm Ti/V on the front. Skirts are 10mm 7075 aluminium/zinc alloy.

Chassis: 5mm stainless steel

Ground Clearance: Under the ramming bar and drum it's 10mm. Behind those it's 20mm, and that's all around if you're not counting the skirts. Obviously with the skirts and forks it's 0mm.

Turning Circle: ... *cough*

Dimensions in CM (LxWxH): (tba)

Weaponry: Macduff now only has three set-ups that are carried over.

SET-UP 1: The lifting forks return as ever. In this set-up, a secondary axial piston pump is connected to the petrol engine in the drive, and then to the forks running at 3000psi via a standard hydraulic system. This allows the forks to lift about a tonne. The forks in this generation are made of 6mm Ti/V, are very serrated and bear similarities to Tazbot's wedges,and can work inverted. Macduff weighs 107kg here.

SET-UP 2: The convex ramming bar also returns. It is now 10mm Hardox 600. Takes out the extra pump and hydraulics but makes the full weight 110kg anyway.

SET-UP 3: The drum returns as well, and it is much wider now and made of Ti/V with tool steel teeth, taking up nearly the entire width. A PERM PMG 080 motor powers this on 23.1v; it gets to a max of 2000rpm in 3 seconds and dishes out 40kJ. Makes Macduff 110kg.

Srimech: Macduff can run just fine invertibly; the pressurized petrol tanks ensure the petrol engine does not stop when inverted.

NOTE 1: For tournaments that don't give tracked robots weight bonuses, Macduff will take the 5mm Ti/V side and rear fencing off.

NOTE 2: This may still be a bit rough, and it's not exactly original as I had a lot of help from Joey McConnell and his vapourbot Nidhogg Cubed, but it's more progress on a new Macduff than I'd ever thought possible&#33; Pretty much 99.9% complete.

NFX

Kody's render thread

Post by NFX » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:07 pm

It sounds quite interesting. I've actually been trying to sort out a render of an RA2 bot named The Highlander which also shares a Scottish theme. =D

I think the tracks and carvings might cause a few problems, though, what style of carvings had you in mind?
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle

That Kode Guy

Kody's render thread

Post by That Kode Guy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:19 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Feb 4 2012&#44; 04:07 PM</dd></dl><div> It sounds quite interesting. I've actually been trying to sort out a render of an RA2 bot named The Highlander which also shares a Scottish theme. =D

I think the tracks and carvings might cause a few problems, though, what style of carvings had you in mind? [/quote]
carvings; more like cut-outs:

something like that, I dunno, but that looks kind of flimsy...

as for the tracks...ugh. kind of like ">>>>" but a little more angled

NFX

Kody's render thread

Post by NFX » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Ah, that's fair enough. When you said "carvings", I thought you meant more ornate celtic stuff, that would have been murder to get right. XD

With the tracks, I take it they're linked together at the sides, rather than in the middle? I can't really see how else they would work with that shape.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

RoBattle

That Kode Guy

Kody's render thread

Post by That Kode Guy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:14 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Feb 4 2012&#44; 08:54 PM</dd></dl><div> With the tracks, I take it they're linked together at the sides, rather than in the middle? I can't really see how else they would work with that shape. [/quote]
Yep.

That Kode Guy

Kody's render thread

Post by That Kode Guy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:54 pm

He's back...

MassimoV

Kody's render thread

Post by MassimoV » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Ohhhh boy, looks powerful. Green wheels are a nice touch aswell.

That Kode Guy

Kody's render thread

Post by That Kode Guy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks. :) I figured SZF needed a new coat of paint to make him look better. :P

Not going to change a winning formula. I did just that in Aftermath and he lost his first two matches. :P

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Kody's render thread

Post by GF93 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Groovy- I'm liking the new paintjob. That front end looks like it'll be good for dispatching spinners, too.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

Badnik96

Kody's render thread

Post by Badnik96 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Oh boy, here we go again...
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

That Kode Guy

Kody's render thread

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:29 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>Jan 13 2013&#44; 06:15 PM</dd></dl><div> Oh boy, here we go again... [/quote]
Just enter Riot Control and you can easily beat him. <_<

That Kode Guy

Kody's render thread

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:24 pm

Trying out my copy of Autodesk Maya 2013. PROGRESS ON THE MIDDLEWEIGHT&#33;&#33;&#33;

That Kode Guy

Kody's render thread

Post by That Kode Guy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:44 pm

Another preview. The colour scheme should give it away instantly. XP

I know it's not perfect, not by far, but I'll continue working on it. Even so, I'm rather pleased with this.