The Last 10 Movies You Have Seen

Talk about anything relating to the "boob tube" or the "silver screen".
Minion33088

Post by Minion33088 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:46 pm

For me I'm just going to list the last 10 movies I have seen in theaters, but you guys aren't limited to just the theater. You don't have to go as high as 10 either, 5 is fine.

Whoa, backwards Chronological order...

1.Talladega Nights- 8/09/06 This was the best Will Farrel movie I have ever seen. And I didn't like it just because it was about NASCAR. It was funny. Better yet, it was hilarious. I was having trouble catching my breath atleast once during the movie. Whether you like NASCAR or not, 5 stars.

2. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest- 7/21/06 One of the most anticipated movies of the summer...and it was worth it. Despite the fact that we decided to go see the movie the same night what was left of a hurricane came through and we got soaked to the bone and were unable to warm up in the air conditioned theater, it was well worth the 2 1/2 hours I spent shivering my ass off. Just as good as the first, just even better graphics I think. 5 stars

3. Click- 7/02/06 This movie was kind of a surprise for me. I expected it to be an all-out comedy. But it was more than that. It was a family movie. It had a moral. It taught a valuable life lesson. It starts off really funny, but then it gets serious and makes you want to cry at the end. Worth watching. 4 1/2 stars

4. Over the Hedge- 5/20/06 A good movie as far as animations goes. Bruce Willis does a good voice-over job and the plot is pretty good. It might have been alittle short, but with how much work goes into animation, who blames 'em? 4 stars

5. Ice Age 2- 4/14/06 This movie was awesome. It came out right after my birthday too. See, the first movie was really good, but the graphics lacked alittle. You might not have been able to tell, but go watch the second one. You won;t believe the difference. I think the part with the female Mammoth thinking she was a possum was stupid, but it was still a great movie. 4 1/2 stars

6. Benchwarmers- 4/14/06 I saw this movie literally right before Ice Age 2. We from one theater to the next. Ice Age was better obviously, but I was shocked to death when I realized that the Napoleon Dynamite guy didn't ruin the movie. It felt like an Adam Sandler movie, yet there was no Adam Sandler. Jon Lovitz brings along some cool gadgets, such as KITT from Knight Rider (ehem, Steve), and a cool robotic maid. I guess the movie didn't have much of a plot, but I found it funny for some reason. 3 1/2 stars

7. Date Movie- 2/20/06 This movie was almost as painful as going to see it with a girl whom you aren't dating. lol It had a few good parts, but most of it was stupid. Gross even at some points. 2 stars

8. Fun with Dick and Jane- 1/02/06 I love Jim Carrey, therefore I love Jim Carrey movies. This was no exception. It's especially good when you go to see it with someone who loves his movies just as much as you. This was the most fun I have ever had at the movie theater... 4 1/2 stars

9. The Ringer- 1/02/06 I saw this movie directly before Fun with Dick and Jane. At first I thought The 2 movies were just as good, but now I think Dick and Jane was alot better. The Ringer had a few good parts, and the whole plot to it was ok, but it just wasn't what I expected. 3 1/2 stars

10. Finally, King Kong- 12/17/06 Wow, there is ALOT to say for this movie. This movie had the most amazing action sequences, especially with the dinosaurs. Granted it takes awhile to set up the plot for the rest of the movie, and it was over 3 hours long, you totally get your moneys worth. Kong had it all, action, suspense, comedy, drama, and or course tragedy. 5 stars

There it is, my last 10 movies seen in theaters, as well as my crappy little reviews. Have any of you seen one of the movies I mentioned? Do you agree or disagree with my review?

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:59 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Minion33088</dt><dd>Sep 15 2006&#44; 02:46 AM</dd></dl><div> For me I'm just going to list the last 10 movies I have seen in theaters, but you guys are limited to that. [/quote]
Oh we ARE limited to that hmm? Sounds suspicious to me&#33;

BEES

Post by BEES » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:44 pm

The Producers *
Anchorman *
Thank You For Smoking *****
V for Vendetta ****
Syriana ****
Capote **
Good Night and Good Luck ***
Dogville ***
Pirates of the Carribean 2 **
Nacho Libre ***
King Kong ***

Most of the theater movies I've seen haven't impressed me much. 2006 actually turned out a lot better than 2005 or 2004. I almost didn't like anything last year.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:33 am

Whoa... umm... lets see, not really in any specific order:

1. The Protector: Totally awsome as far as action scenes go, just don't excpect much from the script.

2. Pirates of the Carribiean Dead Man's Chest: I enjoyed this one even more than the first one.

3. Clerks II: Incredibly funny, with some appropriatly WTF moments.

4. United 93: A lot better than I expected it to be. A very moving movie.

5. Final Destination 3: It was good for what it was.

6. V for Vendetta: One of my favorite movies ever. This movie just blew me away.

7. Snakes on a Plane: A movie Samuel L. had to carry, but it was cool like that.

8. King Kong: A good adaptation, but this movie just felt TOO long.

Okay, I can't think of any more that wouldn't be going back in time too far (actually I'm surprised I made it to the theaters that often).
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Minion33088

Post by Minion33088 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:31 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>succotash_54</dt><dd>Sep 15 2006&#44; 10:59 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Minion33088</dt><dd>Sep 15 2006&#44; 02:46 AM</dd></dl><div> For me I'm just going to list the last 10 movies I have seen in theaters, but you guys are limited to that. [/quote]
Oh we ARE limited to that hmm? Sounds suspicious to me&#33; [/quote]
Whoopsies. Well forgetting 3 characters in a sentence will do that to you. :P

Area51Escapee

Post by Area51Escapee » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:58 pm

1. The Protector (***1/2) - This movie was very good for a martial arts flick. Tony Jaa was insane.

2. Pirates of the Carribbean: Dead Man's Chest (****1/2) - Awesome movie just like the first one, only this is more of an epic, which isn't a bad thing.

3. Beerfest (*) - God, this movie sucked. Not that funny, stupid, pointless and nothing appealing about it. The only reason I saw it was because I was on a date and she wanted to see it. Frankly, the date was just as bad as the movie.

4. Snakes on a Plane (***1/2) - Good tongue and cheek horrow flick. Samuel L. Jackson is the man.

5. Clerks II (****1/2) - Great comedy. Another movie I was pleasently surprised with.

6. X3: The Last Stand (***) - Considering they made some awful decisions before making this movie, they made the film relatively well. Still, it was disappointing in a lot of respects.

7. Scary Movie 4 (**) - Just like the other Scary Movies and once again, it lacks genuine wit. They seem to rely purely on parody factor, which in my view, is definitely not enough for a good comedy.

8. United 93 (****1/2) - Very good film that I feel was a very thoughtful and realist portayal of what could have happened.

9. The Descent (****) - Very good sci-fi horror film. It reminded me a lot of Alien as far as cleverness and some terrifying scenes mixed in.

10. Click (***1/2) - Good for an Adam Sandler movie. Also, as Paul said, I liked it because it had the comedy side but also a serious portion of it, too.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:06 pm

In theaters....

1. Clerks 2--saw it with Gemini. Not as good as the first one, but still incredibly awesome and funny.

2. X-Men: Final Revolution--the more I think about this movie, the more I realize it fell short. I loved the big fight scene, and Halle Berry's speech that she delivered in the middle of the movie. That really drew me into the movie.

3. Star Wars 3: Revenge Of The Sith....eh. It covered most of the necessary bases at least.

4. The Longest Yard-- the Adam Sandler remake. Not a good film. REALLY a stretch to believe Adam Sandler as a former pro QB. Bad pick. Chris Rock was best, and even he wasn't on his A-Game

5. The Aviator--EXCELLENT film. Leonardo DiCaprio proves he can really act. The aged Howard Hughes character was a little difficult to buy, but other than that, he REALLY pulled this off. Add Alan Alda to the mix as a character that really deviates from his beloved Hawkeye Pierce, and this is just a fantastic film. A little on the long side, but worth watching.

6. Saved&#33;--In the immortal words of Andrew: Ka-sucked&#33; Little more than a venting vehicle for people who hate Christians. Every character shallow and predictable. Every plot point ridiculous and transparent. Only two laugh out loud punchlines in it. Upside: Macaulay Culkin. If you have to watch this movie, this is the ONLY reason to watch it. Even his character was poorly scripted, but he played it well. And he gives the punchline for the two laugh out loud moments.

7. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban-- saw this with my then-girlfriend, the same weekend she dragged me to see that piece of crap listed just above. Don't tell her, but I actually enjoyed this film. Only thing I didn't buy into were the Dementors, but those who read the books tell me that this was just a problem of translating them to screen. In the books, they make pretty good sense, so I'm told. Long, but enjoyable.

8. The Passion Of The Christ-- I've only seen it once. And I watched it as a springboard for theological discussion with a group of church friends. I did NOT watch this as a movie to entertain or impress me, so I cannot give a cinematic evaluation of it.

9. X2--Not terrible, but left a bit to be desired. Quite a bit.

10. X-Men--Ok, my memory's starting to get a little shoddy at this point. I'm not remembering the chronologies all that well, but I'm pretty sure I didn't see a movie in the theaters between the first two X-Men movies. That's how seldom I go to the movies, people. I liked this one. It really set my hopes up for the sequels. *sigh* Dare to dream, ladies to germs.

I'll get to my more current list, those I did not see in theaters, but thanks to the wonders of a BlockbusterOnline account, I have been renting and watching for the first time. Expect a long list of crap. Seriously.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:16 pm

Ok, my last ten rentals.

I must elucidate. I pride myself on my Oldies knowledge, and have decided to expand further by watching movies starring oldies artists. I've seen Head from the Monkees, three of the five Beatles' movies (2 of which I own), and am now working on plowing my way through Elvis's movies. The King made 31 movies, most of which have been hailed as steaming piles of CRAP. Nonetheless, I'm forcing myself to view them. So far, I've seen 13.

One last bit of exposition: the Elvis formula. This is a major reason Elvis's movies were panned. They got formulaic. This formula usually included (but not always are ALL elements in a single movie): comedic drama, Elvis's character has no family, but is a surrogate "uncle" to a pre-teen daughter of his friend's, the kid is pretty bright (but not nerdy) for her age, Elvis is the toughest fighter in whatever brawl he gets into, and despite having attractive girls throwing themselves at him, always goes after the one that initially seems immune to his charms. And because it's Elvis, always singing. That's every movie. The worse movies involve songs at rather bizarre moments.

With that, I give you my last ten rentals:

1. Paradise, Hawaiian Style. From 1966, where Elvis plays Rick Richards (clever name, huh?), an out-of-work pilot blackballed from the major airlines because of his womanizing reputation. Ironically, his last canning was a situation that the girl made the advance on him. Returning home to Hawaii, he goes into business with a friend, but their first client threatens the business with a bizarre request. No real memorable songs in this one. Real formulaic. This movie made me start to regret my decision to do this too. D

2. Roustabout. This movie from 1964 features lounge singer Charlie Rogers (Presley), who is on his way to Phoenix. Unfortunately, while eyeing a woman in the back seat of a car, he is run off the road by the irate father of the girl, thus wrecking his chopper. The people in the car, who turn out to be carnies, agree to take him in long enough to get his wheels fixed. Their carnival is in trouble, but thanks to Charlie's magic pipes, they start to make money. A rival carnie wants Rogers in his own show, too. Not a terrific movie, and no memorable songs, though "Poison Ivy League" is cute. C-

3. It Happened At The World's Fair. Mike Edwards (Elvis) and partner Danny (Gary Lockewood) are pilots who finish a good season's worth of cropdusting, and are real happy about the pay. After Danny gets into deep trouble gambling, the two take their plane and fly away, only to have it impounded. Force to hike, they catch a ride with a Chinese farmer on his way with his pre-teen daughter to Seattle, and the World's Fair. The second day there, the father disappears, and Mike and Danny have to take the daughter in, trying to stay under the radar of social services AND trying to figure out how to make a living for themselves. From 1963, the Elvis Formula really started to take shape with this one. However, it is pretty enjoyable. Big song: the catchy Top 20 hit "One Broken Heart For Sale" with charting B-Side "They Remind Me Too Much Of You." B-

4. Follow That Dream. Unlike other Elvis movies, this one was actually based on a novel, Pioneer Go Home. If you like Jerry Clower-type humor, especially that of the fictional Ledbetter family, (good-hearted folks with enough horse sense, and very little, but just enough book smarts to eke by), you'll enjoy this movie as much as I did. Elvis plays Toby Kwimper, a veteran on permanent disability. He and his father have taken in four children, all orphans of their late friends. When the Kwimpers' car breaks down on the highway, they run the risk of being arrested by the highway commissioner, anxious to look good in front of the governor. Calling upon an obscure homesteading law, the Kwimpers manage to talk their way into staying there, but the commissioner, now infuriated, is looking for every legal way to oust the Kwimpers. The problem complicates when mobsters and their floating game settle on the homestead as well. In an effort to be neighborly, the Kwimpers piss them off too. From there, the Kwimpers find themselves dealing with both the law and the lawless (clever huh? Came up with that line myself.) As I said, I like this kind of humor. From 1961, the title track went Top 20. I give it a solid B+

5. Girls&#33; Girls&#33; Girls&#33; From 1962, Ross Carpenter (the King) is a fisherman whose only family are friends of his late parents. The friends own the boat that Carpenter makes his living on, but are in serious financial trouble. So much so, they lose everything and have to sell all to a young arrogant, haughty businessman. Begrudgingly, Elvis goes to work for the man. Also, a young socialite falls for Elvis. This movie gave us the hit "Return To Sender" (and if you don't know that song, shame on you), which spent 5 weeks at #2 (all five weeks stuck behind the Four Seasons' "Big Girls Don't Cry") and it's #99 B-Side "Where Do You Come From." Best thing about this movie: I was setting down to watch it when my sis called me. She asked what I was doing, I told her getting ready to watch a movie. "Which one?" "Girls&#33; Girls&#33; Girls&#33;" (pause) "oooooooookkkkaaay maybe I should just leave you alone then..." She thought I was talking about a Girls Gone Wild type video. heeheee. P.S. Girls don't figure as prominently in the movie as the title would have you think. This was one of Elvis's biggest moneymakers. How and why, I will never know. My advice about seeing this movie: don't. D-

6. Blue Hawaii. One of his most famous movies, from 1961. Chad Gates (you-know-who) is recently discharged from the Army. Though he was born in the South, his dad is a big exec for a pineapple company, and so, their home is in Hawaii. His folks, especially his mother (played by the immensely talented Angela Lansbury), want him to work for the company, but Chad wants none of it. Instead, he works as a tour guide, and his first client is a schoolmistress and a small group of girls--including one who is set on being a pill to everyone, including herself. This movie gave us one of the most famous rock-era love songs, the #2 charting "Can't Help Falling In Love" as well as the criminally forgotten Top 20 B-side "Rock-A-Hula Baby." The title track is also pretty famous, though it never charted. A famous woman like Lansbury plus some good songs weren't enough to make the movie great, but they kept it from being a total stinker. C+

7. King Creole. From 1958, this is the only '50s movie of Elvis's where the title track did not chart. Danny Fisher (him) is a senior in high school who cannot staying out of trouble. Desperate to help his family, which include a kid sister and his widower father who's trying to find work as a pharmacist, Danny gets mixed up with the riff-raff of the neighborhood, which is run by a local crime boss. Trying to get out of it, he becomes--wait for it--a lounge singer&#33; Another love triangle in this one, including a woman who is "owned" by the local crime boss too. The crime boss is played MAGNIFICENTLY by Walter Matthau. Big song from this one: the #1 smash "A Hard-Headed Woman", plus it's minor hit B-Side "Don't Ask Me Why." Matthau's performance in this one really does a lot of the weight-carrying in this one. Elvis's last movie before getting drafted by the U.S. Army. B

8. Flaming Star. No, it's not about the men from "Will & Grace." From 1961, this is a Western and NOT a comedy or comedic drama, and its title track went Top 20. Pacer Burton (yeah, that guy) is a half-breed whose father is a paleface and mother is a Kiowa squaw. Along with a half-brother from their father's previous marriage (the mother died), the family of four lives happily together in the Old West, but they are shunned by both the White settlers and the Kiowas, who call Mrs. Burton a traitor. I don't wanna give too much away about this movie. This is an interesting (even if inaccurate) depiction of race relations in the late 1800s, and I'd even venture to guess also of the late 1950's and early 1960's. Great character development in this one. Good story, and fairly well-scripted. Also the only one I've seen so far without Elvis's character being a zealous woman-chaser. Without even being halfway through the 31 films, I'm going to say this HAS to be one of Elvis's five best movies. See this one. Really. A-

9. G.I. Blues. From 1960, this is Elvis's first movie after Sgt. Presley's discharge. And lo and behold, he plays a soldier stationed in Germany. When a rival company's Casanova returns bragging of sexual conquest, it's discovered that there was one who got away. In an attempt to make some quick money, they make a bet that one of their company's men can succeed where he failed. Tulsa McLean (good ol' what's-his-name) ends up being the guy. With a lot of dough on this one, McLean finds himself in for more than he bargained for. This is a comedy of classic form, complete with a platoon sergeant who is easy to be manipulated, but never letting him know that he isn't in control. The title track is well-known, but the closest thing to a hit from this movie is "Wooden Heart" a song that charted twice, but never breaking the Hot 100, peaking out at #101 the second time around. Nice comedy, but not terrific. B-

10. Kid Galahad. Circa 1962. Walter Gulick (guess, moron) is a discharged soldier, returning to the city of his birth, which is not where he grew up though. A stranger in his own town, with no family, he goes looking for a job, but only finds work as a sparring partner for a local favorite.... until it's revealed that once agitated enough, Gulick packs a right-cross with one blow. Soon, he becomes a nationwide famous boxer. Meanwhile, he tries to keep grounded by hanging onto his dream of being an auto mechanic, and also grounded by his love for a farm girl. Not easy to give up the game though, especially when your boss is indebted to the mob&#33; No really memorable song from this one, though "King Of The Whole Wide World" made top 40. Rates a meh. Predictable. C

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:30 am

31 Elvis movies? Wow, I knew there were a bunch, but even that number surprises me. It's like James Bond or something.
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:33 pm

More than Bond. There have only been about 21 or so James Bond.

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:44 pm

Not that helps make it better I would think. From what you've said, you can boil it down to mostly "you've seen one, you've seen them all".

I should probably go to blockbuster more often, too bad a good deal of the movies these days look so poor, I don't have any desire to watch.

Minion33088

Post by Minion33088 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:54 pm

Yeah, but John Wayne had how many movies.......200 something?

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:36 pm

Yeah, he has the record for most lead parts (142).

Not being a western movie fan myself, I can't give judgement on how good they were, but I'd be willing to bet he wallops Elvis as far as screen presence goes.

Andrewbot

Post by Andrewbot » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:52 am

Wow, last 10 movies?
Hmmm

1) Saw II: Saw this movie last Saturday, it was brilliant. Ending, spectacular.

2) Final Destination 3: Eh, wasn't best movie ever, wasn't worst. Deaths were pretty gruesome, I thought it was cool.

3) Not sure about order from here on: Talledegah Nights: I laughed a lot in the movie, got kinda dull near the end, but hey, worth the 6 bucks.

4) Cars? Liked it, funny, great animation.

5) Pirates 2: Decent movie, hated ending.

FReAK

Post by FReAK » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:10 pm

Cube (4/5) - Far better than I expected. Good enough to put it on my "wanted" list.
The Sixth Sense (4