on forfeiting in chess (and on complete wankers)

Talk about the lastest in Nintendo, X-box and, if you can afford it, Playstation. Don't forget about PCs and handhelds, but if you go old-ass Atari on us, we'll cut you off at the knees.
MadBull

Post by MadBull » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:55 am

Came across an odd situation the other day, guess I want it off my chest lol.

Was playing, my opponent was better, yes. Eventually he took my Queen, putting him 11 points ahead in material, mentioned my mistake and declared "gg". For one, I always find it beyond cocky when the winning side declares "gg" when the game is still going on. This alone made me eager to find an opening to see if I could get back into the game. And why not? I have come back from such a blunder once or twice before, and at the low level I this match was at anything can happen.

After a few more moves, he started telling me I should forfeit in the most patronizing way possible. I told him I wanted to play to put up a fight and see if it could come to checkmate. He stated, and I quote from the printscreen I made to report the bugger, "Fine. That will be 10 mins from now.", there roughly being 10 minutes on his clock at the time. He declared he would try to take all my pieces, he said "You want to waste my time. I'll waste yours.".

I just can't let things like this go. That's very me. So I just find posting it here cool, do with it what you want, lol. It did make me wonder how strict "forfeiting is good etiquette" thing really is. SURELY there are examples of games where players came back from overwhelming odds? Especially at low level? In most sports fighting on is praised ffs...

The Mangle

Post by The Mangle » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:40 am

Only forfeit if there is something important in your life that forces you away from your computer, otherwise try and beat the bugger.