Games you think are underrated

Talk about the lastest in Nintendo, X-box and, if you can afford it, Playstation. Don't forget about PCs and handhelds, but if you go old-ass Atari on us, we'll cut you off at the knees.
GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:30 pm

I've decided to dedicate this one to discussing games which you think are great, but...well, underrated, for whatever reason. I'll start with one of my personal favourites-

The Legend of Zelda- Link's Awakening, for the Game Boy.

I'd consider this one to be one of the most underrated Zelda titles out there, but once tried, definitely ranks amongst the best Game Boy titles you'll find. As the first portable Zelda title, it's got an excellent selection of Dungeons, Locations and Items (Including the Hookshot, Roc's Feather and Pegasus Boots) to use and explore for a handheld, and brings new elements to the series, such as jumping and side-scrolling sequences, leading to very clever puzzling, action and adventure elements.

On top of that, it has nods to other Nintendo franchises, one of the Zelda series' most memorable soundtracks, and is surprisingly deep and engrossing for the system it appeared on. If you've got a Gameboy, get it. I can promise you won't regret it for a moment.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:01 pm

Ooh, ill have to get a look at that.

I dunno if this is underrated, havent heard anything about it but i particularly enjoy the original Premier Manager for the Sega Mega Drive.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:43 pm

I still maintain that Bases Loaded II, Wheel Of Fortune, and Minesweeper are perfect "turn your mind off and relax after a stressful day" types of games... a value that few appreciate in the gaming world anymore. It's all about the damn easter eggs nowadays.

GF93

Post by GF93 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:01 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>succotash_54</dt><dd>Feb 25 2014, 08:43 PM</dd></dl><div>I still maintain that Bases Loaded II, Wheel Of Fortune, and Minesweeper are perfect "turn your mind off and relax after a stressful day" types of games... a value that few appreciate in the gaming world anymore. It's all about the damn easter eggs nowadays.[/quote]Personally, I always thought it was the emphasis on graphics over good gameplay that annoyed me. I mean- given the choice, I'd always rather play a game that was great fun but somewhat visually-lacking, than something that looks gorgeous, but plays like crap. The latter is like covering a binbag in glitter and ribbons- sure it looks a bit prettier, but it's still rubbish on the inside.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

Badnik96

Post by Badnik96 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:53 am

Cave Story is an amazing indie game for anyone that likes Metroid-style exploration/shooter game things
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

GF93

Post by GF93 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:59 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>Feb 26 2014, 08:53 AM</dd></dl><div>Cave Story is an amazing indie game for anyone that likes Metroid-style exploration/shooter game things[/quote]Aye, I've heard that one's quite good.

Another one I'd like to recommend from my collection-
Mega Man IV, for the black-and-white Game Boy. Contrary to the name, the Game Boy Mega Man titles are actually entirely separate games from their NES counterparts- much like III and V, this one's a damn good game in its own right.
It's got a nice selection of Robot Masters and weapons from the NES originals*, a great degree of challenge behind it with plenty of varied levels, clever platforming elements and fantastic boss fights, and it's got a kickass soundtrack for Game Boy standards.

Along with the third and fifth Mega Man titles for the system (The latter I might talk about as well, later on.), I'd definitely recommend giving it a look. Just don't forget to bring a few spare E-Tanks&#33;

<small>*Pharaoh Man, Bright Man, Toad Man and Ring Man from MM4 to start with. Later- Stone Man, Charge Man, Crystal Man and Napalm Man (Pictured) from MM5.</small>
ICE³ ROBOTICS

V900
Team: End of the Line LLC

Post by V900 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:14 am

did anyone else play that simpsons gta clone for the gamecube? did anyone else have a gamecube to begin with?

playzooki

Post by playzooki » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:53 am

Hit and run? I have the xbox version of that

GF93

Post by GF93 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:52 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mr. AS</dt><dd>Mar 1 2014, 02:14 AM</dd></dl><div>did anyone else play that simpsons gta clone for the gamecube? did anyone else have a gamecube to begin with?[/quote]Simpsons Hit and Run? Ah yes, I remember that.

And yes, I've got a Gamecube- it's still set up actually, currently with Super Smash Bros: Melee in it. Brilliant system, but sadly underrated, these days.
ICE³ ROBOTICS

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:04 pm

SSBM ftw
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

GF93

Post by GF93 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:34 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Mar 4 2014, 03:04 PM</dd></dl><div>SSBM ftw[/quote]Definitely&#33; I used to main Link/Young Link, but these days I also like using Mario/Dr Mario, Mewtwo (Tiers don exits), Yoshi, and Samus.

As for Brawl, I main Meta Knight, Sonic, Toon Link, King Dedede, and Mr Game & Watch.
ICE³ ROBOTICS

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:47 pm

I'd argue that Melee doesn't really qualify as underrated. I hear nothing but good things about that game. Brawl on the other hand seems much more criticized, and unfairly I'd say. I tend to prefer it over Melee, but that's just me.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

GF93

Post by GF93 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:14 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Mar 4 2014, 04:47 PM</dd></dl><div>I'd argue that Melee doesn't really qualify as underrated. I hear nothing but good things about that game. Brawl on the other hand seems much more criticized, and unfairly I'd say. I tend to prefer it over Melee, but that's just me.[/quote]I like both personally, but I do agree with you on Brawl being underrated. It's a good game- even if somewhat screwed by some key errors (IE. Slower pace, tripping, nerfing to oblivion characters that were previously very good, like Captain Falcon, Fox and Jigglypuff.), but I don't think it deserves to be criticised as much as it is.
ICE³ ROBOTICS

V900
Team: End of the Line LLC

Post by V900 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:07 pm

fuck yeah smash bros. i first played melee when i was 4 and used kirby all the time...idk why, but i 100% completed the game with him over the course of ~6-8 years on and off.

My mains
<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Spoiler: click to toggle</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">64: Kirby
Melee: Dr. Mario (secondaries being the other marios and ganon)
Brawl: Wario [farting intensifies]
PM: ROB/Ganon</div>

oh yah btw check out this sick combo vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyeGddiOrJ4
Last edited by V900 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GF93

Post by GF93 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:31 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Mr. AS</dt><dd>Mar 4 2014, 09:07 PM</dd></dl><div>fuck yeah smash bros. i first played melee when i was 4 and used kirby all the time...idk why, but i 100% completed the game with him over the course of ~6-8 years on and off.

My mains
<div class='spoiler_toggle'>Spoiler: click to toggle</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;">64: Kirby
Melee: Dr. Mario (secondaries being the other marios and ganon)
Brawl: Wario [farting intensifies]
PM: ROB/Ganon</div>

oh yah btw check out this sick combo vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyeGddiOrJ4[/quote]Ah, Kirby. Used to use him quite a lot in Melee as well, but I gradually kind of lost interest in using him after seeing how badly he'd been nerfed from the 64 version, and trying other characters afterwards. I do sometimes play as him there and on the other versions for old times' sake though, typically in his black-and-white Gameboy colours.

I'm looking forward to the new SSB4 as well I must say, it's looking great so far. Definitely looking forward to playing as Mega Man in particular- I mean, who wouldn't want to carve up their opponents with a hail of Metal Blades?
ICE³ ROBOTICS