The Skybroken Shore

RP Topics will go in here. It's buried inside this forum to keep it from getting confused with the main RP room section.
MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:24 am

"guys, do you think we can just stab an Ythri to death? they are pretty damn tough!"

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:04 am

Riain shrugs "ya got a better idea?"
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:55 pm

"... you guys are sneaky like ninjas, I can create a big rock-based distraction wherever you want me to, maybe that's an idea?"

Venice Queen

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:24 pm

Riain looks at granite cock-eyed "wot th' 'ell's a ninja?"

he considers Granite's offer "'e's distracted now buy whatever 'e's eatin', is th' thing. iffn we do something that surprises 'im, 'e'll be on 'igh alert after that, I would think at least. I think it'd be a better bet for you t' keep yer powers at th' ready t' attack it outright if m' plan does fail." he scratches his head "but I mean, if yer really sold on th' distraction idea..."
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:18 am

Intermezzo:

[11:19:01] Alex Holt: do you want a more detailed description of the locale?
[11:22:48] Martijn: ah yes go ahead
[11:24:49] Alex Holt: ok
[11:26:28] Alex Holt: you are currently on a ridge about 70m above the Yrthi
[11:26:36] Alex Holt: the cliff below you is steel
[11:26:39] Alex Holt: steep*
[11:28:01] Alex Holt: lets say
[11:28:29] Alex Holt: about 20 degrees off vertical
[11:29:11] Alex Holt: but its covered with boulders and more night pines
[11:29:30] Alex Holt: which could be climbed up or down by either you or the Yrthi
[11:30:02] Alex Holt: the pines currently make it unlikely the Yrthi would spot you
[11:30:14] Alex Holt: to go round via the track
[11:30:20] Alex Holt: would be
[11:30:35] Alex Holt: about 2km
[11:31:39] Alex Holt: below the section of the track the Yrthi is on is denser pine forest on a fairly steep angle, about 50 degrees off vertical, but a smooth floor rather than a cliff face
[11:32:04] Alex Holt: and the section of the track the Yrthi is on is about 8m wide
[11:32:19] Alex Holt: adjacent to it is the rockslide that the supplies are lodged on
[11:32:52] Martijn: Im gonna posts all this in the thread!
[11:33:14] Alex Holt: and that goes on for about 40m, and is shaped roughly like half a cone against the cliff, reaching a height of about 5m
[11:33:34] Alex Holt: the supplies being lodged just after half way
[11:37:29] Alex Holt: anything else you'd want to know?
[11:37:45] Martijn: this is already a bit more than I expected
[11:37:51] Martijn: lets see
[11:38:36] Alex Holt: oh also
[11:38:44] Alex Holt: where the rockslide happened
[11:39:21] Alex Holt: there is a fissure in the rock you could climb down hidden from view of where the Yrthi is... but you wouldnt be able to see it either
[11:40:22] Martijn: ok
[11:41:42] Martijn: ... how much stuff are we trying to get, btw?:P
[11:42:07] Alex Holt: well, you dont know for sure how much is still in there
[11:42:08] Alex Holt: but
[11:43:22] Alex Holt: normally it would be enough for 4 months for your village and the villages beyond yours
[11:43:59] Martijn: I mean
[11:44:13] Martijn: this isn't stuff we can just snatch while distracting the Ytrhi for a second or so :P
[11:44:22] Alex Holt: of which there are maybe 3 and a scattering of farmsteads
[11:44:36] Alex Holt: well
[11:44:44] Alex Holt: not really
[11:44:49] Alex Holt: its a fully laiden cart
[11:44:58] Alex Holt: a big one at that
[11:48:25] Alex Holt: on the plus side
[11:48:38] Alex Holt: oh to clarrify also
[11:49:20] Alex Holt: if you were following the track, youd get to the Yrthi before the cart (by about 20m)
[12:00:12] Martijn: yeah thought so

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:32 am

While you are discussing the possible solutions to the situation, on the skyline you note a thin line of thunderous dark blue clouds edging towards you - with the winds as they are you imagine they'll be here by nightfall, and you'll need some shelter to avoid getting soaked to the bone.

The Yrthi however takes no notice of this and continues its gruesome feast.

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:52 pm

"Ok Mustott! We'll try your plan!"

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:01 am

With a plan in place, Riain begins his descent of the cliff face, carefully climbing down the fissure near to where they have been standing. He occassionally peeks out to keep an eye on the Yrthi, but it makes no sign of moving from its spot - although as he gets closer there is the gut-wrenching sound of the beast feeding - the snap of bones being wrenched by tremendous force and the slurping of marrow... As he reaches the bottom of the cliff, he deposits the spear they looted from the tower in the cleft - if this doesn't work he may well need it...

Oskar on the other hand makes his way directly down the cliff face front directly, keeping amoungst the pines that project out from it at odd angles. It's slow going, but when he reaches a spot twenty meters above the base he finds a suitable tree and shimmies up it onto a tall branch - his tail making the climb easy. He get's a feel for the wind and the weight of his sling stones and waits... Henry has followed him down and waits nearby behind a boulder.

Granite merely peers down from the cliff top, awaiting the fight.

Riain is a master of stealth, and it shows as he approaches the great beast from behind, but as he gets closer he begins to appreciate the enormity of his foes - even crouched down it looms over him, and it's grey and brown hair gives it the feel of an enormous bear coiled beneath him. He silently draws his blade and begins to position it for the strike... looking at it now he realises that with it's bones so big there is no guarantee he'll be able to get through the ribcage.... More vulnerable targets then... a deep quiet breath and then all hell breaks loose as he strikes.

He goes for a double strike attack - a quick slash to the hamstring followed be a deep stab to where he hopes the liver is produces a roar from the Yrthi as it bellows in rage and pain. The knife sticks and he releases it - no point hanging onto it now, and runs... Blood drips from the knife wound and the Yrthi spins around on the spot arms flailing, trying to see it's attacker who is rapidly heading back for the fissure.

However even though it is hemorrhaging blood and limping from the leg injury, it's huge loping strides are still almost fast enough to catch up with Riain if it Oskar didn't land a stone directly in the middle of it's face with a satisfying crunch - you seem to have broken the strange projecting nose on it's otherwise flat face.

However, Riain manages to scramble across the scree slope and grab the spear, but the Yrthi is too close behind to begin the climb up so he spins around and lashes out with the spear - back against the cold stone to try and keep the beast away.

Up at the top of the cliff, Granite reaches out with his magic and then begins to run down the slope...

Oskar and Henry are forced to move into a new position as the Yrthi rounds a corner in the path, out of line of sight, and while the massive dog's deep gutteral growling makes the Yrthi retreat a step, it is clearly the stone barrage, that is annoying it more and it hurls a rock at Oskar in retaliation, knocking him over and winding him deeply - Henry steps infront of the downed Mustott while he recovers, forcing him to back off more...

However, the Yrthi turns it's attention back to Riain again, and manages to snatch the spear from his hands with it's great shaggy arms... it picks up reaches out to grab the Mustott only to be suddenly impacted by something huge and knocked flying.

Granite has arrived, and wrapped himself in stone armour even as he made the last leap towards their foe; and even as Riain scrabbles to retrieve the spear, the fight between the Yrthi and Granite turns into a slugfest. The ape-beast grabs at stones on it's shorter opponent - even covered in a layer of rock Granite can feel the bestial blows and he knows he can't sustain this for long, even without the ape tearing rocks loose.

However, even as the stone construct around him begins to fall apart, a spearpoint bursts it's way from the chest of the beast, and Henry, taking the moment of confusion as a sign - jumps upon the monster and tears it's throat out. It's blood seeps through the snow, staining it pink...

_____

It doesn't take long for Granite to clear the rockslide with his powers, though he is largely depleated for now, and Oskar is nursing some bruised ribs. The Yrthi, now dead looks a bit different, and you can see beneath the shaggy hair, the beast is gaunt and starved, and what's more bears a lot of scars, though what caused them you can't say.

However, a decision is now upon them - the storm is nearly here - it would be a shorter journey to head on to Porthcollen - only a few hours, while a journey over the mountain with the supplies would likely take them much longer and would be exposed to the storm for the most of it, even with Henry pulling it... Getting that cold and wet won't do them any good, but neither will delaying the supplies to the village...

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:46 pm

"Look at that storm guys! Maybe we should find shelter and sit it out! In a pinch I think I can create some form of housing, but I'd rather find something suitable and preserve my powers."

Venice Queen

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:23 pm

"Aye mate. at this point we may as well go t' Porthcoll'n. 'tis close enough that it'd be worth goin' there." he states as he tries to free his knife from the Yrthi. "Who knows what sorta information they might 'ave too, ya know?"
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:17 am

Having not seen any sign of any suitable shelter behind them, the group hitches the cart to Henry and begins down the Porthcollen road. It is mostly downhill on a smooth slope at this point, which at least makes going easier, and the party feels a bit happier once they exit the inky-black of the Night Pines, even if the storm is coming in off the sea even quicker than expected.

It is only an hour or so before they find somewhere some shelter, with the rain only beginning to patter down. It looks to be an old wooden charcoal burner's hut, though it doesn't look like it has been inhabited in a while - there are only two rooms, one of which has a hole in the ceiling where an old oak branch had dropped through it, but the other has a fireplace and an intact roof and so will do for shelter.

They survey the area quickly before getting to rest - there is no desire for any unpleasant surprises in the night, and the place seems fairly defensible - it is just off the main road to the rear, and from the woods is only accessible from three narrow tracks too thick for a Yrthi to get through without causing substantial noise. They have a quick look a short way down each of the tracks; the first two lead deeper into the forest and past the kilns, but the third leads to a ridge that looks down to Porthcollen and the sea.

Even with the failing light ahead of the stormfront that is even now looming towards them, they can see something is not right down there - the see in the harbour is a rich bloody red - though they are two far to see whether it is the water itself or it is filled with something - there are no signs of boats except a few on the strand-line that look like they have been crushed and town by great forces - but not moved from where they moved, and there is no sign of people.

What is worse though for Granite - there is magic down there - he can feel it reaching for him in some dull way. Trying to describe it to the others is hard, magic has it's own feel to it, but this is.... wrong. It feels ancient, but not in the primal ways earth and stone... it's alive, and hungry but mindless, and it leaves the magical equivelant of an unpleasant sharp metallic taste in his mage-senses... but wrapped up in it there is a sliver of something familiar that he cant quite place...

The storm begins to come over now though, and they head back inside wordlessly, with the unspoken question for tomorrow being whether they attempt to find out what happened down there, or whether they just make sure to get their own hard-won supplies home.

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:22 pm

"what do you think guys? investigate, or supply our fellow men?"

Venice Queen

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:34 pm

"I feel like we should be keen t' get th' supplies to th' town, but I'm aweful curious as t' what's goin' on down there..." he scratches his head in frustration, as much worried about his likelyhood of surviving if they do go down to Porthcollen as he is actually worrying about the people who elected him to save them.

a thought occurs to him. "In th' long run, whatever this is down there's probably gonna affect our city later, seein' as 'ow the caravan path goes right through it. and e'en iffn that ain't gonna be an issue, we'll still need to be alertin' someone to th' fact that th' bridge is broken further on up th' road. But let's sleep on it before we make any final decisions, eh?"
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:46 am

The night passes without incident, although the hammering on the storm on the roof makes it hard to get rest, but when the party does eventually get some sleep it is much welcomed. While taking stock of the house you are staying in, you also come across a map that shows more of the region than you've seen put to paper before, which you pocket in case you need it later.

In the morning, they get up and take stock of their surroundings - the wind is cold and crisp but the rain has passed and it has cleared much of the snow for now. The view to Porthcollen is much the same as yesterday, but you note that while there are no plumes of smoke from cooking fires that you'd expect coming from the town itself, there does seem to be one coming from a small farmstead outside the town further inland.

The choice remains though - find out what has happened to Porthcollen, or just get your supplies straight back to Grimcove as you set out to do...

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:27 am

The consensus seems to be going to Porthcollen, but now the decision is whether to go to the harbour or investigate the smoke.