Oddestsey: The Seven Lords (Sign ups)

Here's the space for any RPGs that aren't Robot Combat related. Find sign-ups and related information in here!

Moderators: Alexjh, The Monsterworks

Alexjh

Post by Alexjh » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:33 pm

Well I've felt like doing a new RPG for a little while now, and so to you ARC members I bring over a brand new series of the Oddestsey, a series of RPG stories that began on the FRA many year ago and have been applauded by critics with such high praise as "recurring" and "Alex actually finished that last one".

The general gist is that you the players with be new arrivals to a world where everything that slips through the cracks of the multiverse congeals into entire civilizations of nonsense. The tone can best described as melodrama meets farce. I'll let veterans of previous series do any further hype: they are much better at that than I am myself. There is a little bit of continuity between the series, but each game is entirely free standing - anything you need to know will be explained along the way.

I'll retain pretty much the the previous game; the at the time entirely accurately named "Last Oddestsey":

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Firstly pick your species and gender (if applicable). Everything is available, though bear in mind if you picked something notably overpowered like kryptonian for instance I will balance things out in whatever way I see fit, be it through liberal availability of kryptonite, or kryptonian body parts being widely desired for medicinal purposes or whatever seems like a good / amusing fit. I say species very very loosely: robots, golems, undead, anthropomorphised concepts, energy beings, sentient objects etc are all welcome.

At this point list any innate powers of your species, these can be whatever you want, but please try to keep them finite. As a rule of thumb, aim for a mid-level superhero at highest - I will however accept weaknesses to balance it out.

STRENGTH: Melee weapon damage and hit-points
AGILITY: Dodging, acrobatics, stealth and ranged weapon damage
INTELLIGENCE: Number of skills and spells you can learn
WILL: Determines diplomacy, power of spells and special abilities.

You have ten points to spend across those four categories. You can have a score of zero that would just amount to slightly subnormal for a human in that regard.

For each point in intelligence you can pick a skill, which can be anything you want from skill with a certain weapon to certain type of machine to stealth to lock-picking to knowledge of a certain kind of thing. The more specific you are the more powerful in that instance, so if someone decided they wanted their skill to be bear-fighting, they would be good at fighting bears, but not as good at fighting polar bears as someone who picked polar-bear-fighting, but conversely that person who picks polar bear fighting would gain substantially less benefit when fighting a grizzly.

The story this time is going to be entirely done on an individual character basis, so there is no need for a team to co-operate if you don't want to, though if you wander off on your own then go inactive without notice I may just kill you off to tidy things up.

So... Final format:

Name:
Gender (as applicable):
Species:
Physical description:
Powers:

STRENGTH:
AGILITY:
INTELLIGENCE:
WILL:

Skills:

A D20 Roll:
(go here http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm) and roll a 20 sided dice and tell me the result. You'll find out what this is for when we start. Don't assume a higher number is necessarily desirable, I'm going to flip a coin once an entry is in to decide if high or low is better. Also the worse one might be more fun potentially.

Edit: Note on Optional Sections

I know some people here have an interest in including additional sections including things like personality and backstory. This is fine, but I must be clear on a few caveats - which is that broadly I regard this stuff as things you guys integrate as you play rather than I something I really influence as such in my updates. So as such, if you do want to include these things, feel free to write to your heart's content if you want, but it must have at the top highlighted in some way (bold or coloured) a synopsis of the most key points in no more than 2 sentences each. I'm happy to integrate your character points, but I'm more likely to get a feel of that from play rather than trying to memorize an essay from the outset.

The exception to this is species backstory if you are creating an original species - there I'm happy to get a bit more meat of an explanation - lets say up to 5 lines - because it's more important for me to understand the essence of the species from the get go because that's not something that is revealed over time in the same way as a personality.

Edit 2: On Powers and Skills
Just to clarify a bit on this - powers are any ability that the character has that is beyond the capable of a human being (or, beyond a normal version of the closest earth analogy to your character ie. if you had a psychic koala, the psychic bit goes here - superhuman eucalyptus digestion does not) including both inherant and learned abilities. So this includes anything from traditional super powers, psychic abilities, magic spells, robotic parts or just generally. You can have a wide spread, but the more you have the less powerful I'll treat each one unless there are specific mitigating factors. Ie. if someone decides to enter Martian Manhunter I'd allow it because he has such a readily available weakness in fire.

Skills are things that your character is specifically talented at, but I do understand that there is a bit of overlap when it comes to things like spells or super-science. In cases like that, list the basic power in the powers section, and use the skills to enhance it if you want. So, you could have power as "laser-beam eyes" but you could optionally use a skill to say "precision laser beam eyes" or "laser-beam eye combat" or "laser beam eyes trick shots". In the case of super genius or magician type characters, I strongly advise using your skills section to add specializations and/or specific expert fields of study. The difference between someone who just says their power is "magic spells" and someone else who does the same but lists under skills say "protection spells" or "cryomancy" or "golem making" or "demonic languages" is going to be a lot.

Also remember to be clear in the specificity thing - the more specific the skill the rarer its use but more powerful it is when you do use it.

I'll start this thing up whenever I feel I have enough entries or I get fed up of waiting - whichever comes first.

I'm happy to answer any questions people may have.
Last edited by Alexjh on Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Badnik96

Post by Badnik96 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:07 pm

Is this a continuation of TLO, or a new story entirely in the same world? Would it be better to use my old character or roll a new one?
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

Alexjh

Post by Alexjh » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:55 pm

The story does follow on from one specific plot point of the Last Oddestsey but is set a non-specific but large amount of time later. While you can enter a previous character if you really want, ideally a brand new one would be preferable as it means I can start the story with a clean slate rather than having to juggle characters who know differing amounts to one another.

NFX

Post by NFX » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:05 pm

ARGH

i mean

Name: Mira

Species: Illuxion

Physical Description: Mira is a somewhat unusual individual upon first glance, being made entirely of light. As such, they are able to change their physical form almost instantaneously, although always remain roughly the same size. They obtain energy primarily from exposure to stellar objects, e.g. suns, and also from other light sources, but not nearly as much. Having more energy makes them brighter, having less energy makes them dimmer and eventually they begin to turn slightly transparent. Their energy dissipates very gradually over time simply for them to remain visible and thus alive.

Although they can make themself appear to stand still and walk, in reality they are leaping back and forth over distances in the order of nanometers billions of times a second. Being composed solely of light, they cannot interact with matter under normal circumstances. It takes a rather large amount of energy for them to do so, and even more for them to actually move objects.

History: Being relatively young by Illuxion standards, Mira has spent the last hundred thousand years or so as an almost nomadic wanderer, rocketing through space from one inhabited planet to another, their equivalent of 'seeing the world'. Gathering experiences and various bits of knowledge about the planets they have visited, Mira - still with a certain wonder or naivete about them - wishes to both explore and enjoy new worlds before continuing their journey, one day returning home and telling tales of their grand galactic adventures.

Powers: Being made entirely of light, this offers Mira a number of what could be considered 'powers'.
Light Speed - Exactly what it says on the tin, Mira has the capacity to travel and otherwise move at the speed of light. Although this often proves impractical spare for interstellar travel - the faster they move, the less precise they are with their movements. Only really of use in a straight line, and if they hit something whilst moving too quickly, they lose a certain amount of energy from the impact and must recuperate for a moment.
Physical Invulnerability - The majority of physical weapons, e.g. guns, swords, arrows and other small-to-medium artillery have no effect on them under normal conditions, often passing harmlessly through them. Larger physical impacts, however, can affect them quite badly, in a similar manner to the caveat with Light Speed.
Flight - Having zero mass, Mira is capable of levitating and moving around in all three dimensions. Given that they're used to travelling through the emptiness of space, however, smaller confines make things more difficult, and they tend to go a little slower than they perhaps could in this case.
Lasers - Under concentration, and using a little energy, Mira can direct a beam of light to temporarily blind foes. They can also generate and focus a laser to cut through objects up to a few inches in thickness, but this requires almost total concentration, along with much greater amounts of energy and time, depending on the material being cut through.

STRENGTH: 1
AGILITY: 4
INTELLIGENCE: 2
WILL: 3

Skills:
Shape Shift - Mira is capable of changing their physical form in order to better fit in with their surroundings, should the situation call for it. However, they are basically a hologram, with no real physical properties aside from shape and colour. Becoming blue or purple also requires a little more energy than becoming red or yellow, and it is pretty much impossible for them to appear black.
Languages - Having travelled the stars for some time now, Mira has learned to speak many widely used languages. Although they should be able to hold a conversation, the broad range of tongues means they haven't learned any single one quite enough to be perfectly fluent, and less commonly used words can still trip them up.

Roll: 13
Last edited by NFX on Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:17 pm

I take it if I try to enter my magical sentient boulder someone will strangle me. have this instead.

also isn't this pretty much just the portal planet from Thor Ragnarok :V

Name: Edward Cyrus Macintosh

Nicknames/Aliases: Cy, Cyrus, Shy, Shade

Species: Human Mutant (Marvel Universe or rough equivalent)

Physical description:
height:5'9"
weight: 145 lbs
dominant hand: Left
Edward has extremely poor vision in his left eye, which he has been unable to correct even with glasses. He is face blind, which would have made keeping track of people hard if not for his abilities. <div class='spoiler_toggle'>Often wears sweaters, dress overcoats, and jeans, in a style vaguely similar to this</div><div class="spoiler" style="display:none;"> Image</div>

Stats:
STRENGTH: 2
AGILITY: 3
INTELLIGENCE: 2
WILL:3

Powers: Spirit Magic - Edward's especially strong Aura allows him access to a number of abilities. His aura is a greyish-black, interlaced with purple strips that dance around him. Whenever he uses an ability, his left eye glows deep purple, and the color emanates out from the eye in random patterns that change and re-form continuously.

Working with one
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Post by The Monsterworks » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:45 am

Entering something. Just what that is remains undecided.
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!

Cha0sFerret

Post by Cha0sFerret » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:17 am

definite maybe provided i know what's going on in my life in a few weeks
poopity scoop

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:27 am

Absolutely&#33;
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:35 am

I'll enter

Alexjh

Post by Alexjh » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:27 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The_Angry_Goat</dt><dd>Jan 2 2018, 11:17 PM</dd></dl><div>I take it if I try to enter my magical sentient boulder someone will strangle me. have this instead.

also isn't this pretty much just the portal planet from Thor Ragnarok :V

[/quote]To be fair, as long as your magical sentient boulder can move under its own power and in some way interact with other characters it would have been fine.

As for Sakaar from Thor: Ragnarok - yes although given the first Oddestsey series is from around 2005, mine was first (though there are for sure other bits of fiction which inspired it - Sigil for instance if anyone knows Planescape). I would say the main differences are that the world of the Oddestsey isn't really a "scrap planet" in the same way Sakaar is - and broadly speaking a way less medieval power structure. This takes place in the Megacity of Melded and the aesthetic of the place is less "built from what came through the wormhole" and more an actually designed and constructed place, albeit taking ideas from anywhere and any-when in the multiverse.

Badnik96

Post by Badnik96 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:30 am

alright, put me down for a character. just give me some time to come up with something
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:08 am

Hot damn&#33; I'll figure something out for this.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:35 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Badnik96</dt><dd>Jan 3 2018, 04:30 AM</dd></dl><div>alright, put me down for a character. just give me some time to come up with something[/quote]no&#33; think of something now&#33;

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:29 am

Never&#33;
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Post by Madman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:08 pm

k, I'm in.
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49