The Skybroken Shore

Here's the space for any RPGs that aren't Robot Combat related. Find sign-ups and related information in here!

Moderators: Alexjh, The Monsterworks

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:36 am

Welcome to the Skybroken Shore,

For those who know me from the FRA, this is going to be in many ways the direct opposite of the Oddestsey - a fairly rule driven game with fairly specific constraints for characters. This is a fantasy survival RPG, and if you are looking for a vague gist of what to expect, influences include the Telltale Walking Dead Games, the Banner Saga and Icewind Dale. This is not a nice place to live, and there is a very strong chance it will be a horrible place in which you die. Warning in advance - player fatality is built into the design of the game. It won't happen unjustly, but if you mess up, it's going to cost you.

General setting: You are dwellers of a tiny fishing town in the far North, in a place where Summers are cold and Winters are deadly - and things are about to get much worse. Technology is at a level where clockwork and steam power exist somewhere in the world, but very very rare, and guns do not exist.

What I need is some players, I probably need at least 3, but up to around 8 if there is interest

Please feel free to ask any questions you like (though obviously I won't spoil things for you)

NAME:

SPECIES:
There are four species to choose from

Skine:
+1 Might
- Claws give natural blades that can be used even without weapons.
- Can dig unarmed twice as fast as a normal being using tools.
- Enhanced sense of smell, much more sensitive than average beings.

Weakness: Sight is limited to a 30m radius

Mustott:
+1 Agility
- Prehensile tail capable of grasping objects, or aiding in climbing or swimming.
- Capable of extended jump, four times their own height.
- All Mustott have athletics and acrobatics at competent level.

Weakness: Take extra damage from poisons.

Tortasi:
+1 Will
- Thick scales allow Tortasi to be immune to minor blows that would harm other races.
- Tortasi are resistant to minor non-magical burns.
- Tortasi are able to hold their breath for up to half an hour

Weakness: Agility score halved when particularly cold.

Serotine:
+1 Skill
- Radar sense over 20m radius, allowing non-colour perception over 360 degrees, including behind objects that would obscure sight or in complete darkness.
- Serotine possess greatly enhanced hearing, enabling them to hear with far greater clarrity than the other races.
- Serotine are able to fall any distance and land without sustaining harm.

Weakness: Takes damage from very loud noises

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION Include age range, fur/skin colour and any notable physical features.

ABILITY SCORES
There are five stats to allocate points in, with 22 points to allocate, 3 is considered normal in each stat and a 2 in 1 in might, agility or will will result in functioning at less than average level.

MIGHT
Last edited by Alexjh on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:00 am

IN

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:55 pm

Quick update on a thing I missed in the original post - each race now also has a weakness to consider.

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:04 pm

In
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Cha0sFerret

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Cha0sFerret » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:38 pm

Tentatively in
poopity scoop

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:31 am

A few things of note, and things that Madbull has asked me about -

- Added in an Occupation category to the character sheet - it will effectively be used to give you a few extra skills for free and to determine what kind of stuff you start off with.

- On the subject of the salvage skill - it is the ability to recover usable materials from items you find for crafting. Eg. if you find an old barrel, how successfully would break down that barrel to reuse the wood at the metal for crafting. It is not the same as finding brand new raw materials, but probably a lot more likely for things like metal and stone particularly, where using brand new metal and stone won't necessarily be a great use of time a lot of the time.

- On the subject of elemental magic - think something approximately in line with Avatar: the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra, a master in this game equates to someone of moderate skill in that universe. It also means that it is specifically manipulation of those elements - a stone elementalist can raise a wall from the ground and fire rocks at an enemy, but cannot create rock from nothing or turn someone to stone or anything like that. If you want to do something more advanced you may be able to do achieve it in high magic. Remember though, for all magic, in a fight (and counting anything you do just before a fight) your WILL score will act as power points, and once depleted you'll be forced to rely on traditional means.

To use the earlier stone elementalist example again, 1 will point will be equivalent to 1 minutes worth of covering yourself in stone armour, 1 x 1 cubic meter boulder launched at a foe, or raising up a 4m x 2m section of wall from the ground. That being said, those are all very bold uses of power, which, while they may certainly have their times and places won't necessarily always be the best use of power. For instance, for the cost of one of those, you could also for instance fire off a hand-full of pebbles in a shotgun blast multiple times, or raise a large area of small sharp stones upright from the ground infront of a charging enemy. Smart use of powers will generally get you further than just trying to blow things up.

- Equipment will be decided by me when you start, but at the very least everyone will have a practical knife for day to day use, some fairly warm clothes and some amount of food supplies. The rest will be determined by stuff in your character sheet.

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:42 am

On request, the bonuses for the occupations:

Fisherman
- Competant: Boatmanship
- Expert: Fishing

Hunter
- Competant: Tracking
- Expert: Hunting

Fur-trapper
- Competant: Knowledge - Nature
- Expert: Mechanics

Boat-wright
- Competant: Boatmanship
- Expert: Woodwork

Trader
- Competant: Modern Politics
- Expert: Diplomacy

Prospector
- Competant: Knowledge: Geography
- Expert: Metalwork

Blacksmith
- Competant: Martial Skills - Impact Weapons

Woodcutter
- Competant: Martial skills - Impact weapons

Crop Farmer
- Expert: Agriculture

Livestock Farmer
- Competant: Agriculture
- Expert: Animal Handling

Caravan Guard
- Competant: Polearms
- Expert: Shields

Carpenter
- Competant: Construction

Miner
- Competant: Construction
- Expert: Stonework

Tavern-owner
- Competant: Impact Weapons
- Expert: Diplomacy

Jeweller
- Competant: Stonework

Scholar
- Competant: Knowledge - Geography
- Expert: Knowledge - History

Herbalist
- Expert: Medicine

Weaver
- Competant: Knowledge - Design
- Expert: Fabricwork

Sheriff
- Competant: Diplomacy
- Expert: Impact Weapons

Crabber
- Competant: Fabricwork
- Expert: Fishing

Builder
- Competant: Woodwork
- Expert: Construction

Gravedigger
- Competant: Knowledge - Religion
- Expert: Stonework

Tinker
- Competant: Metalwork
- Expert: Salavage

Hermit
- Competant: Knowledge History
- Expert: Knowledge Relgion

Smuggler
- Competant: Knowledge - Geography
- Expert: Stealth
Last edited by Alexjh on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:19 am

NAME: Granite

SPECIES: Tortasi

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: An average Tortasi of average physique, in his 40's if we were to convert his age to human years. Really not all that different from the Tortasi displayed by Alex in the opening post.

Until he does his magic.

The above image displays the epitome of his powers, a form he can only keep up for so long. Normally he creates a stone armour around himself varying from a layer of skin tight gravel to a form that makes him twice his original size.

ABILITY SCORES:
MIGHT: 3
AGILITY: 2
SKILL: 5
WILL: 8 (9 with Tortasi bonus)
LUCK: 4

SKILLS:
3+(5*2)=13 points
Knowledge: Magic, MASTER ( 6 )
Elemental magic: Stone, MASTER ( 6 )
Knowledge: Religion, COMPETANT (from occupation)
Stonework, EXPERT (from occupation)
Knowledge: Geography, COMPETANT ( 1 )

Last edited by MadBull on Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:39 am

Granite is fine to enter!

For the record, my plan is to get this going within 7 days after I have 3 players, so things will be underway fairly quickly!

Cha0sFerret

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Cha0sFerret » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:16 am

Ok, I think I have this sorted out now.

NAME: Oskar

SPECIES: Mustott

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: Late twenties in human years, brown fur like in the sample picture, wears a dark red jacket, is missing a small chunk of his left ear as a result of an accident a few years back which involved a crate full of knives and a high shelf.

ABILITY SCORES:
MIGHT: 4
AGILITY: 4 (5 with species bonus)
SKILL: 5
WILL: 2
LUCK: 7

SKILLS:
3+(5*2)=13 points
Knowledge: Geography, COMPETENT (occupation)
Stealth, EXPERT (occupation)
Athletics, COMPETENT (species)
Acrobatics, COMPETENT (species)
Martial Skills: Missile Weapons, COMPETENT (1)
Martial Skills: Blades, COMPETENT (1)
Diplomacy, MASTER (6)
Fishing, COMPETENT (1)
Salvage, COMPETENT (1)
Boatmanship, EXPERT (3)

poopity scoop

Venice Queen

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:38 am

NAME: Riain Mac Muireadhaigh

SPECIES: Muscott

PHYSICAL DESCRIPTION: 32 years of age (assuming they age the same as humans, if not, whatever the muscott equivalent would be :v: ), tan fur with black splotches, long scar going down his left leg. long and thin face

ABILITY SCORES

MIGHT
Last edited by Venice Queen on Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Alexjh

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Alexjh » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:13 am

Oskar and Riain both are fine for entry!

My plan at this point is to start this thing up next Friday, which should give time for a few more people to enter if there is interest.

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:42 am

where did all those smuggling mustotts come from?

Venice Queen

The Skybroken Shore

Post by Venice Queen » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:57 am

Hilariously , we both came up with them on our own. Totally gonna have em be buddies now though
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

MadBull

The Skybroken Shore

Post by MadBull » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:11 am

more hilariously, and Alex can confirm this, Granite was only my second idea, at first I was working on... a stealthy nimble Mustott character...