The Dirty Dozen Round 1: Whirlpool vs Hartmann's Youkai Bot III

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Trihunter
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Team: Cool Story Brobotics

The Dirty Dozen Round 1: Whirlpool vs Hartmann's Youkai Bot III

Post by Trihunter » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:25 am

WhirlpoolHYB III
Speed: 3Speed: 4
Traction: 3Traction: 2
Torque: 1Torque: 1
Weapon: 16Weapon: 16
Armour: 7Armour: 7
Config: N/AConfig: 6 tooth disk
twospidermenpointingateachother.jpg

Main thing to do here is make sure we can handle the weird way Whirlpool's going to be driving. It's likely to go for a glancing blow, so we can counter with a well-timed pivot to cause our blades to clash instead.

Take it fairly slow from the start, get the blade going, move out and let them come in. We've enough of a wide body (and a speed advantage!) to let us adapt and adjust to whatever manoeuvres Whirlpool attempts. Just focus on ensuring their blade can't hit our wheels, get some solid blade clashes in, keep up to speed as much as possible, and try to score a hit on their body. They have a lot smaller of a target to hit than we do, after all. Just play the endurance game, keep spinning and keep up defensive play until an opportunity for a KO shot presents itself. Unlike past iterations, getting flipped changes very little, since we're invertible and with an angled blade. Only other thing to note is to try and prefer engagement angles that would have us launched towards the spike strips or inner wall, and Whirlpool launched towards the drums. Pretty sure a HS can't OotA without some shenanigans happening so we'll probably be safe there, but if we have a close encounter with the OotA zone, maybe try to avoid it in future.

tl;dr: standard undercutter play. Defensive strats, draw them in, sneak the killer blow.
Accolades
Official participant in ARCcon Europe
ROBOT 2 FW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 MW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 HW Shitbot Showdown winner
ROBOT 2 Most Trophies (Runner-up)
Official voter in OSCARC 2018
Best Meme 2018 (Mimi-Chan)
Trophies
ICEcrown Champion (Steelhead)
CBC3 SHW Runner-Up (Hartmann's Youkai Bot II)
CBC4 LW Runner-Up (Scrapper)
ROBOT4 Sportsman Runner-Up (Split Personality)

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Re: The Dirty Dozen Round 1: Whirlpool vs Hartmann's Youkai Bot III

Post by attackfrog » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:13 pm

We're very similar, of course, but with that six toothed disk HYB's going to be dealing glancing blows to the angled bottom of my disk just before Whirlpool's big tooth comes around to smack it a good one. It's a little faster but I've got better control and better traction, which will help keep Whirlpool from being knocked into hazards as much. The lack of control on HYB will give me chances to take out a wheel or two, which will make it slower and even less controlled.

I obviously want to keep HYB from attacking the non-spinner parts of my bot, so I'll go up to the center pit and hug it with the flat side of my bot opposite the spinner, strafing around it. When HYB is close, though, I'll just focus on keeping my spinner pointed at it, and trying to keep in a position not to be ricocheted into the hazards. I'll keep that up as long as it works. If I have a chance to wedge HYB while it's not spun up, I'll take it and try to stop it from spinning up while I get up to speed.

The rest of the time, spin to win.

GLHF Tri