CBC HW Quarterfinals: Santangelo vs. Tabor

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Rocket

CBC HW Quarterfinals: Santangelo vs. Tabor

Post by Rocket » Sun May 10, 2020 9:30 pm

Santangelo (Godless Progeny Of A Britflipper And A Washing Machine) (4-2)
Speed: 8 | Traction: 7 | Torque: 2 | Weapon: 1 | Armour: 12 | 2WD | Hinged Wedgelets

Tabor Mark 4: Fant4stic T4b-Four (We've Finally Made Her Stop Falling Over!) (4-2)
Speed: 6 | Traction: 4 | Torque: 3 | Weapon: 7 (5 turret / 5 lifter) | Armour: 10 (+2 lifter) | 4WD | Type 2B Anti-Rambot Scoop

Even if Tabor loses, she comes away with a winning record. I'm happy with that.

---
This is a difficult matchup for Tabor. She doesn't like flippers and she doesn't like fast bots. Santangelo's both. Nevertheless, we have to have something approaching a plan here. Let's give it a a try.

Santangelo's main strength is its speed and ability to get underneath its opponents. If it comes at me head-on, I can press and make it slam straight into my scoop, whereupon it'll ride up and get turned turtle before it can J-hook off. That means I can shove it where I want it to be. Of course, that's not something Laz is gonna do if he can possibly help it, so let's try taking a leaf from his book. His favourite book, in fact. The one entitled "Hiding In A Corner Like A Great Big Cowardy Custard".

I want to drive into the left-hand corner with my scoop pointed at about a 45-degree angle from the walls, facing into the arena. Yes, this means deliberately driving over a hazard, but all that'll do is scuff up the wheels a bit. Since I will only be driving over it once, it'll only speed up once while I'm on it. While I'm there, I'll stay still and make him come to me. It won't be possible for him to sneak around to get at the sides, there's simply not enough gap for him to get into. However, if he does try to come in from the sides, I can jet away from the hazard while turning to face him, then counter-punch and shove him into the wall and keep him pinned there. Once the pin timer is close to running out, I'll back away and turn him over properly, then shove him around again. I want to keep doing this for as long as I can, wearing down the clock and making Santa look bad. The more I can keep him shoved in a corner, the better it looks for me on the inevitable JD scorecard.

If this doesn't work and he gets underneath me, I'm getting flipped. Ish. Tabor has a wide enough footprint - most of which is hinged side skirt - that a one-power flipper isn't gonna flip well. Those skirts also mean that Santa has to get right under Tabor for a good flip, which gives me plenty of time to get off via the usual trickery and counter-attack with the turret, possibly getting underneath Santa's sides. Santa's wedgelets are on the actual flipping panel, so they don't really focus the robot's weight behind them that well. All this means that Santa's flipping game is almost totally impotent, and that means it comes down to a close-range pushing match in a confined space that neutralizes Santa's speed advantage. And that means I've got a much better chance of winning.

Hopefully. =]
---

Good luck Laz, and have fun. =]
TEAM WORST SWORDSMAN
"The world's best swordsman doesn't fear the second-best; he fears the worst swordsman, because he can't predict what the idiot will do."

Active Roster:-
VEXED!
LW: TRILOBITE! (1-0) (Lifetime: 3-4)

Cherry Bomb Classic 4
MW: DRAGONFIST (6-1) (Lifetime: 15-9)
HW: TABOR MARK 4 (4-3) (Lifetime: 12-14)

Full Roster
Lifetime Figures: 42-51 (0.452)

Madman
Team: Tartarus Robotics Group

Re: CBC HW Quarterfinals: Santangelo vs. Tabor

Post by Madman » Mon May 11, 2020 5:08 pm

Santalego: 8/7/2/1/12
Tabor Mark 4: 6/4/3/7 (5/5)/10 (+2 lifter)

1) We're both toothed hinged wedges, though my teeth are fewer, narrower, and longer, so should win out. It's probably a wash, though.

2) The difference maker is my significant drive edge. I can even actually outrun her turret and get quick flips in. I'm two points faster and have better control. She's also swinging the major weight of her plow way out in front of her bot. This gives her an artificially long wheelbase and makes her turning even more cumbersome.

3) My 1-power flipper still actually throws things further than her lifter, especially factoring in stroke. She has to get me well up her wedge (It's hard to tell from the angles provided, but it doesn't seem to very deep?) and move forward, pushing and overturning me. I have to sneak the tip of my wedge under hers and press a button.

4) By virtue of drivetrain and more optimized weapon, I should be able to give myself more opportunities to get under and be effective. I'll also be able to recover and avoid being flipped more easily when she wins out by backing off and trying again and j-hooking occasionally to not be 100% predictable.

5) With 12 armour, I take negligible (1) damage from hazards, and only when they're past orange. With 8 body armour, she'll take more immediately, and enough to tear off a wheel or warp her plow once they're red.

Go straight at her, h2h, immediately. I doubt she'll just let me, though. Watch for her to start with her turret turned aside and try to sweep it under me. If I notice this, I have three counters: specifically target the plow, get under and flip right away if I think I can do it before she sweeps the plow around, or hook in towards the direction the plow's coming from at the last second, getting under it from the side and flipping. This is ideal because she's shorter from that direction and easier to overturn. If I don't flip her all the way over on the first flip, she'll be flicked up and almost over. Use the opening to get deep under her circular skirts and flip. My flipper's not meant for OOTAs, but it's great for low-power snowballing. She's not the most graceful self-righting, so keep messing with her attempts as I snowball her. If she doesn't go 100% straight, I have the speed and control to adjust and keep in her face. The goal is hazards.

There's an off-chance that she'll try corner turtling if she's worried about her turret being outsped, but I really doubt she can fit behind the hazards. They'll be hitting her plow. If she can, go at her at a bit of an angle to account for getting bumped to the side by the low-power hazards as I dart in, get under, flip, and extricate her from the corner. If I have the opportunity, get the hazards up to full power.

GL. Good to see Tabor contending.
Tartarus Robotics Group: Infinitely wise and merciful since 2016
(don't ask about before that)

Black Dog ||| Hellhound V ||| Blood Eagle ||| Santangelo ||| Hellhound VII ||| Hoarfrost

Mechanized Mayhem: 0-0
Heavyweight: Danger Zone (0-0)
CBC4: 26-5
Featherweight: Black Dog III (6-2)
Lightweight: Blood Eagle (7-1)
Middleweight: Hoarfrost (9-0) CHAMPION!
Heavyweight: Santangelo (5-2)
Current Roster: 183-40 (.821)
Black Dog (ROBOTS - MW*, ROBOTS3 - FW, CBC4 - FW): 26-5
Blood Eagle (CBC3 - LW*, CBC4 - LW): 15-2
Danger Zone (Mechanized Mayhem - HW): 0-0
Detroit Iron (ICEcrown - SHW): 6-2
Hellcat (Thunder Underground - MW): 2-0
Hellhound (R: Extinction - HW, Pressure Drop - HW, RB2 - HW, ROBOTS - HW, New Blood - HW*, ROBOTS 3 - HW*, Thunder Underground - HW): 46-11
Hoarfrost (RB2 - MW, Armageddon! - MW, Ruination 4 - LW, Thunder Underground - LW, CBC4 - MW*): 23-5
Krakatoa (Robo-Con - LW, Ruination 4 - SHW, Thunder Underground - LW): 11-2
Meanstreak (RB2 - LW, Ruination 4 - HW): 10-3
Santangelo (CBC3 - SHW*, CBC4 - HW): 13-3
Sundancer (Ruination 4 - MW, R: Revival - MW, REDDIT - HW, R: Evolution - FW): 21-4
Talons Out (ROBOTS - FW): 10-3
Thundercaller (Vexed!): 1-0
Yet to Fight
Hadean, Intimidator, Kurosaki-kun, Midnight Sun, Neon Rampage
Retired
Eye of Newt, Morality, Savage, Tiger, Vicious, Wild Child
ARC Hall of Fame
Hellhound - #1
Black Dog - #2
Blood Eagle - #11
Sundancer - #24
Hoarfrost - #49