Skoll vs. Dragonfist (CBC4 MW QFs)

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

Skoll vs. Dragonfist (CBC4 MW QFs)

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Fri May 08, 2020 10:00 pm

STATS:

Skoll: 4/2/1/15/8 (+1 blade)
Dragonfist: 3/1/1/16(-1 damage for flails)/9

CONFIGS: Anti-spinner blade please.
Weapon-to-weapon’s 2-2, shock damage is 4-3 her favor because Alex made shells broken.
Great. Whatever. Start inverted, spin the same direction as her so I hit her flails head-on.

This might sound stupid, but… 1: the rules say nothing about flails taking reduced shock damage. 2: her shell has a very high spinning mass but most of it’s in the middle. The flails are relatively light (they have to be because shells with thick, sturdy armor are HEAVY) and are not rigidly attached to it. They may carry a lot of energy, but in terms of momentum my bar should win out because I can actually use its full weight in a single impact. Light thing going high speed in one direction meets heavy thing spinning high speed in opposite direction… baseball, meet bat. Her flail head won’t just stop, it’ll get flung in the opposite direction while her shell’s still spinning. I’m pretty sure it will either (a) wrap around and hit her own shell at really high speed, which oughta do at least some damage… or because the shell’s sloped and my bar might also knock the head upward by hitting it below its center (even inverted, she’s tall af) the chain might ride up it and let either the chain wrap around her own mast and srimech pole, or the flail itself hit them. This might just straight-up damage or jam her weapon, and could also shift her center of mass enough to make her wobble and destabilize.

I need to just keep rushing in as fast as possible and try to hit her repeatedly while she’s wobbling and/or spinning back up. The slower she’s spinning, the worse the potential tetherball effect, and since there’s no shock damage from your own hits, if I can keep her from getting full-speed blows I may be able to win a battle of attrition on shock damage.

Knockback could actually become relevant here as well… but I have more traction, I’m more likely to keep my wheels on the ground in a bar-to-flail hit, and her huge flail radius makes hitting the wall much more likely for her than for me. If I can get her weapon near a stop that makes tetherballing more likely, and if she doesn’t have enough speed to get those flails extended it’s possible I can even get a direct hit on the chains, which ought to at least do something. Regardless, basically play the fight like a control spinner and smother her.

GL HF

Rocket

Re: Skoll vs. Dragonfist (CBC4 MW QFs)

Post by Rocket » Sun May 10, 2020 8:48 pm

Dragonfist (Flail Meta Best Meta) (5-1)
Speed: 3 | Traction: 1 | Torque: 1 | Weapon: 16 (flails deal -1 damage) | Armour: 9
Skoll (Definitely Not HFL's Fursona, Honest...) (4-2)
Speed: 4 | Traction: 2 | Torque: 1 | Weapon: 15 | Armour: 8 (+1 bar)

I'd put wedge stats but come on. This is a fight between two horizontal deathspinners. Do you care about their wedges? Can you find them? Didn't think so. =]

---

The fact that HFL went for the high-armour bar means he thinks he can tank the flail hits with the bar. Sure, that's 2 damage apiece if I hit his bar, but maybe I wanna hit other stuff as well. Here's how.

Skoll's obviously being an overcutter for this fight. That means that I can get a good long look at what his direction of spin is as he spins up. He's also not gonna box-rush me because 4 speed and other side of large arena. So when he spins up, I'm going to determine his direction of spin and spin up in the opposite direction to it, so I'm always feeding my flails into his direction of spin so they don't get sent backwards and slow the shell down. Additionally, hits like that drag my flails into his weapon's supports and chassis, so those aren't long for this world even if the hits they're taking have a lot of the sting taken out of them by the bar. It's similar to how I fought against Pizza 2 in the group stages, and it seemed to work then. You know, considering I won that one. =]

Hitting him this way means that the flail heads are gonna skip over the overcutter blade and not get tangled up in it. At least, that's the theory. In order to really win this bout though, I need to get in close. Clattering Skoll's bar and chassis over and over again is gonna add up, both in terms of destabilizing him and wearing down his speed. Neither of these are things I particularly fall prey to with this plan of attack. However, Skoll's overcutter blade isn't angled, and it isn't high enough off the ground to hit my weapon chains - so as soon as I'm close enough that the flails pass by his blade, they're impacting his chassis. Dragonfist's giant balls deal 7 damage when they slap against Skoll's box, and that's pretty much goodnight Vienna.

With that, my strategy's simple. Do my spin-up strategy detailed above, then head in for the kill. Spin, as it were, 2win. =]

---

This could be Team Worst Swordsman's first ever playoff victory, so I'm pretty fucking excited. Good luck HFL, and have fun. =]
TEAM WORST SWORDSMAN
"The world's best swordsman doesn't fear the second-best; he fears the worst swordsman, because he can't predict what the idiot will do."

Active Roster:-
VEXED!
LW: TRILOBITE! (1-0) (Lifetime: 3-4)

Cherry Bomb Classic 4
MW: DRAGONFIST (6-1) (Lifetime: 15-9)
HW: TABOR MARK 4 (4-3) (Lifetime: 12-14)

Full Roster
Lifetime Figures: 42-51 (0.452)