Untitled Goose Robot vs Finishing Move

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

V900
Team: End of the Line LLC

Untitled Goose Robot vs Finishing Move

Post by V900 » Sat May 02, 2020 3:41 pm

robots
V900 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:37 pm stinkey

reserving LW-HW, soft reserving FW

Featherweight:
Untitled Goose Robot

It's a goose. In robot form.

As such, it's designed to be as annoying as I can possibly make it. You got under the hinged wedge? Static chassis wedge right behind that. You got under that one too? Guess you've gotta contend with the side clamps and 5 torque then, bud.

Side clamps function independent of one another and are hinged 45 degrees each in both directions. The wedgelets are also hinged 45 degrees in both directions.
Plow is wedged 30 degrees in both directions. Yes, the neck attachment also receives the armor bonus.

It's also got a "poop chute" in the back that can dispense a few turds on the arena floor during each match. This does not affect the opponent in any form.

Speed: 6
Torque: 5
Traction: 6
Armor: 9
Weapon: 4 (3/3 hinged side clamps)

"nope i have 17 armor i win bye bye" config
Armor: 13 (+4 plow)
Weapon: 0
The Monsterworks wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:46 pm Hard Reserving HW, MW, and LW. Soft Reserving FW. Entries to come soon.

FW: Finishing Move

Finishing Move by Floating Castle Robotics on Sketchfab

Test your might against this Whiplash-style vertical spinner. In case you were wondering:

1) Wedges are removable and hinged and have a fair bit of travel, but not enough that they're in any danger of folding up underneath or otherwise stranding the bot.

2) The arm is not a lifter. It's a burst system. That means that it's not adjustable and can't be pressed. It can only travel (quite quickly) from its start point to its end point, and back.

3) Can easily self-right.

4) Will not self-KO.

Stats: 8 Speed // 7 Traction // 1 Torque // 11 Weapon // 3 Armour - 3 weapon armour / 1 flipping arm
standard clamp config

Observations:
  • Ooh, 8 speed with omniwheels. Quite impressive. Unfortunately, he has exactly 1 torque (really 0.5 since omniwheel torque is halved) and imperfect traction (8/7 vs 6/6). He'll struggle to grapple with my 5-torquer at close and even mid range.
  • That drum deals 2 damage to my chassis, 3 on a corner. The odds of him dealing any significant damage are situational at best and a crapshoot at worst. Be wary of him targeting a specific part of my bot (like the wheels or clamps).
  • Speaking of wheels and clamps, he doesn't have much chance of getting to them. The wheels should be obvious: they're all the way behind my robot. He has to either commit to some suuuper telegraphed "drive backwards and fire the 1 weapon 'flipper' lol" or monstertruck strat to get a shot at them. Both of which I can react easily to with 5 torque. 2 (x2) damage can do some work to wheels, yes, but not enough to oneshot them off. Not that he'll be able to hit them to begin with, anyway.
  • There's a big-ass furnace in the center of the arena to prevent him from rushing me. Cool arena mister tournament host :^)
Strategy:
  • Watch which way he goes around the furnace and follow him. The midpoint between the furnace and the arena walls is where I wanna be. Avoid putting myself in a position between him and the furnace grates, however.
  • Keep close, aim to get my longboy clamps latched onto his wheels. Not too interested.
  • Like I mentioned, he has sub-1 torque. Whenever he has to turn and accelerate, that's at least 2 seconds where he's below top speed, and at least 1 second where he's slower than me. Compare to my torque where I get up to speed in 125 milliseconds. The average human eye takes 300-400 milliseconds to blink.
  • IMPORTANT: BE SURE TO HOOK BACKWARDS A LOT TO CAPITALIZE ON THIS. If he does get under, there's nothing on his wedge to prevent me from just hooking off with my big chungus wheels. No teeth, no torque to push me with, no nothing. If he bops me away with the drum, that creates space between us and puts us back in the neutral game.
  • Once he's clamped, Ideally I want to hold him over the pistons, 3 chassis armor means they'll rack up some nice damage. I can also opt for repeatedly jamming him into the furnace grates for the OOTA, but if I go for this be cautious and make sure he won't escape.
  • If he's backing up for a ram (either forwards or backwards), just back up and turn closely around the furnace. He'll have to chase after me and attempt making those same tight turns- not good.
i'm pretty sure playoff elims get 500 words, ping me if they don't and i'll resubmit a slightly shorter version

gl hf

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: Untitled Goose Robot vs Finishing Move

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat May 02, 2020 11:47 pm

His challenge is to control me while being the noticeably slower bot. His best chance of doing that is clamping me and dumping me in the pit (after smacking into the grate 4 times) or the hazards. He also deals two impact damage. That shouldn't be enough to really impact the fight, but don't just disregard it. Respect his torque, but don't be scared of it. Use my weapon, mobility, and versatility to avoid taking big slams.

I've almost exclusively played FM as a traditional vert so far, but it's time to put the arm to use since he's taking the clamp approach. Note that you only see his clamp in the 'open' position in his render. That's to disguise the fact that it has very little forward reach when closed, extending barely past his orange wedgelets. Counter by facing him in reverse, fire the arm over the back and leave it there, with the weapon extending past the rest of my bot. If he wants to grab me, he's going to be grabbing drum and getting punted away and he'll have a hard time smothering while being the noticeably slower bot with the exception of the odd half-second or so after we both come to a full stop. The design of his claws also gives my weapon lots of hard angles to gain purchase on, throwing him and scoring corner damage.

Basically, be aggressive as hell, stick that drum in his face by means of normal driving, strafing, and circle strafing. Whatever it takes. Deny his clamp and control the match that way. Avoid having my back to the Furnace and hazards whenever possible. If I need to spin back up, put my speed advantage and human reaction time to use to buy time. Then get back on the attack. Chuck him into the smokestacks when I can. Just follow up relentlessly. If I'm wedged, back or hook away as the situation dictates or jar myself free by firing my arm. If he starts to find a good counter to my strategy, throw in some baiting, strafing to angle in, spinning the drum the opposite way (based on what's more effective with the depth of his clamping attempts) and actually swinging the weapon down onto him. Always prioritize tactics that won't allow him a clean clamp, however, using my offense as defense as well. If I get opportunities to chain, don't say no to them. Those wheels are big, juicy targets and a couple hits on one could pay off. If he's opened a grate and I can use my strafing and speed advantage to get his back to it, capitalize and try to chuck him in.

Good luck!
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!