CBC HW WK 6: Death Metal vs Black Diamond

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Shaba117
Team: Team Stealth Productions

CBC HW WK 6: Death Metal vs Black Diamond

Post by Shaba117 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:43 am

Death MetalBlack Diamond
Imagehttps://sketchfab.com/3d-models/black-d ... 9f32c877cd
Speed: 5 Speed: 8
Traction: 2 Traction: 6
Torque: 1 Torque: 2
Weapon: 15 Weapon: 5
Armour: 7 Armour: 9
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, a Britflipper with a control advantage and an OOTA capability and an arena with an OOTA zone…? Oooooh boy!

Immediately, I want to avoid the ‘Gulag’ OOTA zone of this arena. Problem is, that our starting squares flank this area. Even if I ‘book it’ out of my square to the other end of the arena, BD will likely be gonna come screaming around the corner to come meet me with his 11 plow/lifter. He has the speed/control advantage, after all. But I have my 15 weapon, and it’s gonna hurt no matter where I hit him, and I will turn into and meet his plow directly. I may gyro out of control, but I will hit *hard*. I just hope to be away from that damn Gulag when I do, and even than, with 5 power on the flipper, it’ll still take a fairly lucky hit to OOTA me. Even then, I’m taking the chance here, rather than just ‘running for it’.

I have SIX damage over him anywhere other than his flipper. Any more than a ‘few’ hits should net me a KO, should I get a hit in those areas, especially the wheels!

No, I rather get to the ‘open end’ of the arena and play there. I’ll go and directly hit BD and do 4 damage to the plow, but in my ensuing recoil, I might just catch a wheel, or more? My reach could very well do so!

If that happens, I expect BD to survive some hits (hey, I know who I’m dealing with) and might get shoved into the hazards. Well, the most that they can do (Stalin’s Hammer) is 2 damage...not enough to be effective enough on me. So, if in the event I come into contact with them or the hammers, or the walls, for that matter-slightly power down and get away from the walls, then get the weapon back to full speed. Hopefully, I can also catch BD while it’s recoiling or in a moment of uncontrollability and get a lucky shot on the non-bonused chassis.

Again, do what I must to avoid the OOTA zone while not leaving myself totally vulnerable to BD. And, try to keep DM under control as much as possible.

GL, Alex!

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

Re: CBC HW WK 6: Death Metal vs Black Diamond

Post by The Monsterworks » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:49 am

Black Diamond: 8 speed / 6 traction / 2 torque / 5 weapon / 9 armour

vs.

Death Metal: 5 speed / 2 traction / 1 torque / 15 weapon / 7 armour

So, we both have some idea of what the other is going to do. It’s a question of who does it better. For me, it’s taking hits on my plow, keeping DM recoiling, gyrodancing, and smothered, and hopefully getting it OOTA. For DM, it’s staying free long enough to death-hum consistently and deal damage, trying to sneak a few hits around the plow, and not getting OOTAd.

First and foremost is survivability. A 4pt gap isn’t insignificant and the temptation is to make this an epic brawl where BD starts on top and is gradually worn down. Look at the best spinner killers, though. See Stinger vs Shrederator, Bite Force vs Tombstone. They rush, get on top early, and never let up, winning mainly because they don’t take many full-power hits. I invested a bit more in drivetrain to have enough of an edge to really aggressively smother and control 5 speed spinners, as well as having a legitimate flipper that can actually toss DM. Then there’s control. Mine = occasional oversteer when I try fancy stuff, but I don't need to this match. DM’s is downright poor along with ferocious weapon torque. Danielle should struggle to follow up after recoil, maintain her desired arena positioning, or pick and choose where and how we meet. Her best bet is throttling her weapon after impacts to regain control faster, but – see Tombstone – that still takes a few seconds and she’s not just being wedged. She’s being flipped, sent funky dancing, and aggressively pursued by an 8-speed bot.

My play's obvious: we start pretty close. Rush! Account for angle and spin direction to send her into a wall/starting corner. Charge back in and flip immediately to keep her blade slowed. If I can’t follow up with 8 speed, IDK what can. No pins unless I run outta gas. Stay close, catch her while she rebounds, pushing while she’s not at full power and not under control and promptly flipping before she fully recovers. If hazards are nearby, use them as interrupts. If the sickle can fling her towards the Gulag, use it. If not, don’t. The Gulag's huge, with a very low sloped lip. Chain her there - look at real life: it only takes one good, sudden chain - taking advantage of her recoil if possible. In summary: rush, keep facing her, maul with flipper and walls, OOTA if possible.

Best of luck in CBC3, Danielle, and thanks for the awesome job writing!
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!