Who will make it?

Get with the beats, the riffs, the harmony, or if you wanna go to hell, Phil Collins.
Fish Of Doom

Who will make it?

Post by Fish Of Doom » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:35 pm

Well shit, he's long over due.

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:09 pm

Him and a myriad of others.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Who will make it?

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:06 pm

Yeah, the system will never be perfect. You'll always have those that should get in overlooked in favor of those that shouldn't get in.

On that note, in lieu of finding it myself, are the Spinners or the Drifters in?
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:31 pm

Drifters, yes in 1988
Spinners, not yet.

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:56 pm

http://www.rockhall.com/pressroom/2008- ... nouncement

Congrats to this year's five performers, two non-performers, and one side-man.

Dave Clark Five
Leonard Cohen
Kenny Gamble
Leon Huff
Little Walter
Madonna
John Mellencamp
Ventures

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:43 am

The nominees for this year are out. Alphabetically, they are:

Jeff Beck (Solo efforts)
Chic
Wanda Jackson
Little Anthony And The Imperials
Metallica
Run-D.M.C.
the Stooges
War
Bobby Womack

As for my thoughts...

Stooges
Pros: Apart from being widely influential in punk rock, they're now in "practically guaranteed" territory. No act has been nominated 7 times and not eventually been inducted, even if it took an eighth or ninth nomination. This is their 7th nomination. Moreover, the 2007 induction ceremony ended with the inductees doing an impromptu jam of "I Wanna Be Your Dog," and Madonna has them performing in her place. This isn't Chubby Checker, Sonic Youth, or Heart complaining to reporters about their not being in... this is other high-profile artists taking up their cause.
Cons: Really none. Only thing is maybe since Black Sabbath had to wait an eighth time, the Stooges should too.
In the end: No Stooges song ever made any of the Billboard singles charts, but with the Sex Pistols and Leonard Cohen getting in recently and given the competition in the field, and everything else, the pendulum's swinging too hard in their favor for them to miss out this year. I place their odds of making it this year at 90%

Metallica
Pros: Widely recognized as one of the groups that really gave heavy metal wheels in the mainstream market. Quite possibly the most influential act on this year's ballot
Cons: Napster. Everyone felt Metallica was a symbol of anti-establismentarianism, and Lars and co. proved that they were a happy part of the corporate machine.
In the end: Their influence reaches way too far, and this isn't exactly the strongest-looking ballot we've seen in the past few years. I place them as a pretty likely pick. Odds: 80%

Jeff Beck
Pros: Guitar legend. With the Yardbirds, and the other two revered guitarists/members of the Yardbirds have been inducted twice in some form or another. He also has at least one, maybe more, song inducted in the Hall already. About time to put the artist in himself?
Cons: How much innovation and influence did his solo stuff actually have? Some, yeah, but he kind of pales in his own shadow.
In the end: He's still a rocker, and when you look at each year's class, there's a disputable name in the list, but for the most part, those listed WERE rock 'n' roll at one point or another, and he was consistently so. Odds: 75%

Run-D.M.C.
Pros: Really helped make rap mainstream. Also, most Rock Hall purists don't mind this rap group, since they actually teamed up with Steve and Joe from Aerosmith. A lot of us still have fond memories of that video they made back in the 80's. Their contributions were germane to the perpetuation of rock and most recognize that. On top of that, the nominating committee were smart enough not to split the ballot this year between two rap acts. They tried that last year with the Beastie Boys and Afrika Bambaataa, and they both fell short.
Cons: They weren't actually "rock 'n' roll." And you still come across the people who say "This isn't the Rap Hall of Fame!! BOO!" Also, when Grandmaster Flash And The Furious Five got in, it was under a cloud of suspicion involving vote tampering, and had it not been for that, some say there STILL would be no rap group in the Hall. So, can a rap group get in completely cleanly?
In the end: If there's going to be a token rap group in the Hall, more people would name these guys than any others, including the already inducted Flash And the Five. I think these guys are in the house this year. Odds: 66.7%

Chic
Pros: Crackerjack producers fronting, backing and overall making this band, and Niles Rodgers is revered as a blueprint-laying funk guitarist. He was also on the original nominating committee back in 1985. Also this is nomination numero cinco for Chic. Only artists to get this many noms and not get in are fellow ballotmates the Stooges; King Curtis, who was later inducted as a Side-Man; and Chuck Willis, who's been forgotten since the 1989 ballot/1990 ceremonies.
Cons: With all that crackerjack talent, they couldn't come up with better songs than "Dance Dance Dance (Yowzah Yowzah Yowzah)" and "Le Freak"? I've heard it said that the real stuff they should be remembered for is album deep and came after the disco heyday. Well, unfortunately that doesn't save them from being filed as a throwaway disco act whose lyrics were slightly less intellectually insulting than the Ohio Players'. Also, this is a political thing, really. Most voters, I think, recognize that the current nominating committee is giving Niles the reacharound for having been on the committe in the past.
In the end: I think they stand a chance to get in if for no other reason than to keep from seeing their name reappear every darn year, so they can finally get to some real rock acts. Maybe not. Someone else nailed it: it's more about honoring Rodgers and Edwards than Chic as a whole. There's just as much that they DO deserve induction for as there is that says they DON'T deserve induction. Mathematically, that makes it an even split with odds at 50%.

Pros: 2005's induction of the Ronnettes and 2008's inductions of the Ventures and the Dave Clark Five proves that the voters want their 60's acts. They probably want their 50's acts too. Also, the Dominoes and the Five Royales are the only nominated doo-wop groups to not be inducted yet. Also, a fairly influential R&B/vocal group with more commercial success than just about any other 50's R&B/vocal group that has been inducted.
Cons: Almost no doo-wop group has made it on their first nomination. The Dells took two, Moonglows and Flamingos needed five, and Frankie Lymon And The Teenagers needed a wopping eight. Also, of all the 50's R&B groups to make the ballot, these are by far the most white pop-sounding. "Tears On My Pillow" and "Take Me Back" are great songs, but hardly the most convincing examples of rock 'n' roll cred. Their true R&B remains largely obscured, though sometimes that actually works in their favor.
In the end: The fact that they're from the 50's weighs pretty well in their favor. Last year, my #6 pick ended up making it, making me 4/5. They're the likely upset special, but I just don't think this'll be their year. Odds: 45%

War
Pros: Cool funk. Memorable classics like "Low Rider," "The Cisco Kid," and "Why Can't We Be Friends" are all pleasers that make them likely candidates.
Cons: Santana's already in. Can another Latin group make it? Also, innovation and influence are considered somewhat questionable. Plus, in comparison to other artists, and the politics of the Hall, they may just not make it.
In the end: I want to see them make it, but it may not happen. Still, there's a good chance for them to be the upset as well. So, I'll put them at odds of 40%.

Wanda Jackson
Pros: The only female on this year's ballot, unless you count the female singers of Chic, and the Rock Hall people like to be PC. She's also revered as the female Elvis, possibly being the first white female rocker. Furthermore, she's got Elvis Costello and Bruce Springsteen in her corner, so those voters who really revere them might just vote for her.
Cons: There've been about five years so far without having any female Performer inductees, so it's not like it couldn't happen. Also, generally regarded more as country than rock'n'roll. She didn't manage to stay rock'n'roll while doing her country thing.
In the end: She was nominated in 2005 and lost out to Percy Sledge. This being only her second appearance on the ballot, I daresay it won't be her last. Odds: 33.3%

Bobby Womack
Pros: You could induct him as a Performer, a Non-Performer, or a Side-Man. Truly versatile talent. Smooth soul. One of the last great soul singers before soul became this neo-soul type stuff.
Cons: The fact that he IS one of the last great true soul singers kinda hurts him in the influence category, as well as the innovation category. Plus, there are other great soul artists before him still waiting.
In the end: I don't see it happening. It's been awhile since they inducted any soul artists, so that could go either way, but with the continual push to get both Chic and more rap acts in the Hall, and the other three picks being the real rockers on this year's ballot, Bobby Womack's gonna get screwed this year. Odds: 30%

I've seen this year's ballot called weak. Honestly, other than Chic and maybe Wanda Jackson, I don't see an act on here I don't want to get in. Which again, shows the real need here: we need to put the number of inductees per year back up to at least eight.

Area51Escapee

Who will make it?

Post by Area51Escapee » Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:20 pm

The only ones I like on the list are Run DMC and Metallica, but even Metallica is overrated when you think about it.

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:41 am

I don't really like the Stooges, cuz Iggy's singing is somewhat painful on their old records, but I respect 'em, and hey, they're from Michigan! I like Little Anthony And The Imperials and War.

If I was voting, my ballot would go for the Stooges, War, Little Anthony And The Imperials, Metallica and Bobby Womack. But I don't think that's how it'll happen.

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:05 pm

They announced today.

Performers:
Jeff Beck
Metallica
Run-D.M.C.
Bobby Womack

Early Influence:
Wanda Jackson

Side-Man:
Bill Black
DJ Fontana
Spooner Oldham

No Non-Performers this year.

Kind of a bullshit call to put Wanda in the Early Influence category. She wasn't really before rock'n'roll at all. But hey, at least they got her in, so Elvis Costello has been appeased.

Glad Chic missed again, pissed the Stooges missed. War... well it was only their first time, I think they'll be back as well.

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:10 pm

Nominees for 2010, only five inducted.

ABBA
Chantels
Jimmy Cliff
Genesis
Hollies
KISS
LL Cool J
Darlene Love
Laura Nyro
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Stooges
Donna Summer

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:54 pm

My first thought at looking at this ballot... they've loaded up on women this year. Five strong female presences. Usually it's a token female or something like that, but they've really stepped it up.

In the order I think they'll make it:

KISS

In their favor: One of the most influential bands not in yet, quite possibly the most so on this ballot. Whether you love or hate them, they're a band that has a huge following, and is responsible for a LOT of young boys picking up the guitar. Regarded as one of the most overdue inductions. A solid guitar-band with serious name recognition.
Against them: Dave Marsh hates them, and his little circle of voters will probably work to keep them out. Also, not a very innovative band, musically speaking. From a technical perspective, not among the most stand out.
In the end: It took Black Sabbath eight nominations to get in, and this is only KISS's first. Nonetheless, I feel it's the only one they'll need. My odds for them: 80%

the Red Hot Chili Peppers

In their favor: The only act on here that might be more influential to rock'n'roll music than KISS. Maybe. Major force in the 90s, big in both the mainstream and underground circles. Also, with Flea giving the speech for Metallica last year, they're in some good graces with the muckity-mucks.
Against them: Too soon? They didn't break through the mainstream scene until the '90s, so that may play in.
In the end: They're one of two newly eligibles on this year's list, and I think they're a solid pick. My odds for them: 75%

Genesis

In their favor: Prog. There has been a BIG push to get more prog acts in the Hall. Also, the proving ground for Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel. Considered somewhat innovative.
Against them: They gave us Phil Collins. Also, Genesis doesn't top anyone's list for the prog act they'd most like to see inducted. That spot is usually reserved for either Rush, Yes, or Deep Purple. And once Collins took over, their prog-ness nosedived (nosedove?) a bit, too.
In the end: There's actually a prog act on the ballot. This may not happen again for another ten years or more. Get them in while you can. My odds for them: 66.67%

the Hollies

In their favor: A widely beloved band of the British Invasion of the '60s. And there's usually a lot of love for Oldies acts, and there's only a couple that neatly fit in that box, the Hollies most noticeably so. David Crosby has spoken out in favor of them as well, and I think most want to see Graham Nash get his second induction, this one maybe more deservedly so.
Against them: There are a couple other Oldies acts on here. Also, they're a group of White men. Diversity in the list of inductees may cause them to be overlooked.
In the end: The love for the oldies acts, especially ones that played straightforward rock'n'roll is still a pretty big factor, and I believe it'll put them in. My odds for them: 55%

At this point.... it REALLY becomes a crapshoot. So, taking a leap from the Lion's head, I'll continue....

Darlene Love

In her favor: To those in the industry, VERY respected and loved. Phil Spector's main lady for his work of the early 60s. A powerful voice. And for the diversity crowd, a Black woman, which knocks out two birds with one stone. Love for the oldies may factor in a second time.
Against her: She doesn't have the name recognition that others on here have. Plus, not the only Black woman, or oldies act. Plus, the whole argument that on those recordings, Phil Spector is the true artist.... the argument he used to keep the Ronettes off the ballot until 2005.
The Wanda Jackson factor: For those who don't know, Wanda Jackson was on the list of nominees for the 2009 ballot, but didn't get enough votes to be inducted as a Performer. So, the sub-committee that chooses Early Influences decided to induct her as an Early Influence. This opens up new and scary possibilities of workaround, cheat inductions that will come into play twice more on this ballot. In Darlene Love's case, because she was a main backup lady for Phil Spector, they may choose to induct her as a Side-Man if she doesn't get enough votes for the Performer category this year.
In the end: It really is a crapshoot at this point. I've changed my mind several times after originally choosing my top three. But, I'm going to try and walk on the water here, and say she won't need the Side-Man subcommittee to induct her this year. My odds for her induction: 53% My odds for her induction in the Performer category: 50%

Donna Summer

In her favor: She has a nickname: Queen of Disco. Always a plus factor. Again, diversity notes a Black woman, which would keep it from becoming a mulletfest. Also, possibly the foremost solo artist on this year's ballot in terms of name recognition.
Against her: Like prog, disco isn't heavily represented in the Hall. Unlike prog, though, disco has appeared several times on the ballot in the past, most notably with the five nominations of Chic. But the only disco acts in the Hall are the BeeGees and Earth, Wind, And Fire.
In the end: Darlene's my fifth pick and Donna my sixth because of the Oldies-love. Other than that, Donna would be my fifth pick. Such as it is, Donna's my pick for the Upset Special this year. My odds for her: 49%

Laura Nyro

In her favor: Well-respected singer/songwriter. She's in the realm of the artistic (second syllable pronounced "TEE") singer/songwriters also inhabited by James Taylor and Leonard Cohen. Written a lot of well-loved classic oldies. Absolutely GORGEOUS voice to boot.
Against her: Not quite as much name recognition as James Taylor or Leonard Cohen by the general public. Also, her songs are well-loved classic oldies... just not HER renditions. Her songs have become famous when later covered by acts like the Fifth Dimension, Three Dog Night, and Blood, Sweat, And Tears.
The Wanda Jackson factor: Because it's taken other acts to make her songs famous, you could make a really great sell for her to the subcommittee that chooses Non-Performer inductees. It's similar, though with some very obvious differences, to the story of Carole King's induction as a Non-Performer.
In the end: It's sad that she passed away in 1997. I would love to have heard her sing at her own induction. If she does get in, I just hope they don't have Dionne Warwick sing the tribute to her. My odds for her induction: 50% My odds for her induction in the Performer category: 45%

LL Cool J

In his favor: Well-known, well-respected rapper, and pioneer in the format. You can very clearly see, in his tracks, the bridge he provided between the rap of the early to mid-80s to rap as we know it today. Also, the only rap act on the ballot, so the ballot is not split in a way that would hurt him.
Against him: Despite two rap acts already being inducted, there's still a sentiment of "This is the ROCK'N'ROLL Hall Of Fame; rap does not belong." And those who have no problem with *some* rap acts getting in are stunned that the Beastie Boys aren't the rap act this year. Or Afrika Bambaataa. Or even the Sugarhill Gang. Also, didn't break through the mainstream arena of Pop until the late 80s/early 90s. Will it come into play?
In the end: Since rap artists have become eligible for the Hall, there's been a push to have at least one rap act on the ballot every year. There's less urgency to get him in now, especially ahead of the Beastie Boys. My odds for him: 40%

the Chantels

In their favor: Well-loved girl group. Also doo-wop. There's a soft spot for doo-wop in the Hall. Like Donna, Darlene, and ABBA, this is also the Chantels' second nomination, and odds usually improve with multiple nominations. Beautiful voices and harmonies, too.
Against them: Best known for softer love songs. Also, two stronger female presences on the ballot, and one stronger and one slightly stronger Oldies presence on the ballot.
The Wanda Jackson factor: Because they were a 50's group, and considered the first R&B girl group that got the formula right (though they weren't the first R&B girl group in rock'n'roll history), they may be another workaround, cheat induction, and once again in the Early Influence category. This is a much harder sell than Wanda Jackson, but Wanda Jackson looked pretty farfetched when they announced her as the Early Influence inductee last year. For the record, I have nothing against Wanda Jackson. Her music is awesome. But her induction in the Early Influence category is a major eyebrow-raiser for a few good reasons.
In the end: I love the Chantels, but being the earliest debuting act on this year's ballot isn't going to be enough for them, in my opinion. Just not enough strength. My odds for their induction: 40% My odds for their induction in the Performer category: 37.5%

Jimmy Cliff

In his favor: A true original. Unique marriage of soul, gospel, and reggae in his music. Unique voice too. Really, the only soul representative on this year's ballot, which worked for Bobby Womack last year.
Against him: Once Bob Marley is in, do you want/need another reggae representative? If so, why not Peter Tosh instead? Additionally, being the only soul representative hasn't helped Joe Tex get in, so that balances out somewhat. Also, may just simply get lost in the shuffle amidst the other acts. Someone you'd like to see in, but there'll probably usually be five acts more deserving on any given ballot to keep him out. In my opinion, the flaw lies within their selection process.
In the end: I am predicting he'll be lost in the shuffle. But keep an eye out. Even though I've got him ranked 10th most likely, he's still an interesting one to watch. If you want to know if Peter Tosh has a chance, let's see what happens with Jimmy Cliff first. My odds for him: 35%

ABBA

In their favor: Many hit songs that are memorable, and fun, and just well-loved. Also, a repeat nominees. Add to that, Mamma Mia! has catapulted their catalog back into the limelight, so there's a lot of positive hype going for them as well. A timely induction into the Hall as icing on the cake?
Against them: Again, still a strong "Disco sucks" sentiment, at least so it seems. Also, their brand of disco was bright and cheerful; not moody, funky, and conducive to grinding into a partner on the dance floor thus helping you hook up that night, which is the path that modern dance music has seriously taken, despite the fun pop-electronica that briefly surfaced in the mid-90s. Also, they're the reason we got Roxette and Ace Of Base... not highly respected followers.
In the end: With twelve nominees, the ballot-splitting factor is important, and with Donna on board as well, ABBA does not stand a strong chance. My odds for them: 25%

the Stooges

In their favor: Highly influential and innovative. Respected by past nominees. In fact, past inductees have been doing most of the pushing for them. Also, this is nomination number eight for them. Only one artist, Solomon Burke, has needed more nominations than that to get in. Five others got in on number eight. So, it appears that eight is indeed enough most of the time.
Against them: Just about everyone who pays attention to this thought the Stooges were a lock last year... and they missed. Upon further analysis, I've discovered that with the exception of their first nomination, every time they've lost, there has been a guitar-band with much more name recognition than them on the ballot that got in over them. See again, my top three choices to make it.
In the end: With KISS, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Genesis on the ballot, the Stooges are just going to get shafted again. If you want them in, make sure they're the ONLY guitar-heavy rock band on the ballot. My odds for their induction: 20%

My past track record: in 2007, I went 5/5. 2008, 4/5; and 2009, 3/5. The trend shows I could be 2/5 this year. And with twelve nominees, it's mathematically possible for me to be 0/5 this year. And with this ballot, it's a distinct possibility.

NWOWWE

Who will make it?

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:02 pm

Still no Spinners eh? Garn...
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Area51Escapee

Who will make it?

Post by Area51Escapee » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:43 pm

I hope Donna Summers doesn't make it. The Hollies, though, would be cool.

NWOWWE

Who will make it?

Post by NWOWWE » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:54 pm

Yeah I second that.

Also meh to Red Hot Chili Peppers.

succotash_54

Who will make it?

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:19 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Sep 24 2009&#44; 08:02 PM</dd></dl><div> Still no Spinners eh? Garn... [/quote]
Sorry, Josh. They haven't really gone after any true soul groups since the O'Jays. (I don't really consider Little Anthony And The Imperials to be soul, though a case can be made). There's a solid handful of good soul from that era to go for, too. Spinners definitely top that list, with Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes coming in second.