CBC LW Week 1: Evil Destroyer vs. Hobart 2

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Rocket

CBC LW Week 1: Evil Destroyer vs. Hobart 2

Post by Rocket » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:54 pm

Evil Destroyer (4WD shuffler turret spinner)
Speed: 1 | Traction: 1 | Torque: 1 | Weapon: 21 (15 spinner / 5 turret / 1 lifter) | Armour: 7 | No wedge

Hobart 2: Fear Naught (tracked vertical spinner)
Speed: 7 | Traction: 4+1 | Torque: 1 | Weapon: 14 | Armour: 4 (+2 weapon) | Wedgelets removed | Payload: Drum | Spin Direction: Upwards

So, Evil Destroyer really does live up to its name. It's a vicious spinner on a 5-speed turret, meaning it can track even the fastest robots with relative ease. However, that's about all it can do; it's a shuffler with the bare minimum drivetrain to enter a robot competition, so I need to turn that to my advantage insofar as I'm able.

Hobart's biggest positive is that it's fast. That means I can get to ED in a short amount of time. The problem with that is that Hobart only has 10 armour on its weapon... aaaaand only 2 on the chassis. One hit anywhere that isn't the drum and it's goodnight Vienna. Even if it only hits the drum, I take 5 damage and deal 3. I don't have a good solution to this, but I do have the beginnings of a plan.

When the battle starts, get to within range as quickly as possible whilst spinning up. While I'm doing that, I'm going to watch for which way the bar's spinning, then adjust my positioning so I'd be able to drive Hobart's drum into the tip of the bar head-on. Then... do that. He's a slow shuffler, so his mid-cutter bar's going to be bouncing around all over the place if he moves, and that gives me a much better chance of catching the bottom of the bar with the teeth of my drum, thus flinging him seven feet in the air. There's a not-insignificant chance that I can get an OOTA from that, as the walls are only five feet tall. If I don't, it's time to give chase and go in for the kill, aiming for anything I can hit. In an ideal world, I'd hit the chassis a bunch and immobilize him, but life is rarely so rosy. His turret can theoretically help him self-right, but hit after hit will carry the day for me.

This entire match is going to be decided in one hit. If my plan works, I think I've got this. If it doesn't, I lose. The joys of 2 chassis armour. Still, I've got to keep my chin up. This is the most difficult fight I've got in the group stages, or at least the one I'm most likely to lose. At least it's out of the way. =]

Obligatory "don't drive like a bowl of demented guppies" comment.

Good luck, Ys, and have fun.
TEAM WORST SWORDSMAN
"The world's best swordsman doesn't fear the second-best; he fears the worst swordsman, because he can't predict what the idiot will do."

Active Roster:-
VEXED!
LW: TRILOBITE! (1-0) (Lifetime: 3-4)

Cherry Bomb Classic 4
MW: DRAGONFIST (6-1) (Lifetime: 15-9)
HW: TABOR MARK 4 (4-3) (Lifetime: 12-14)

Full Roster
Lifetime Figures: 42-51 (0.452)

YSMQTHLQYH
Team: Team Design Flaw

Re: CBC LW Week 1: Evil Destroyer vs. Hobart 2

Post by YSMQTHLQYH » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:05 pm

So Hobart is fast and has a powerful weapon, if it hits my chasis the fight is basically over but its armor is abysmal, at full power i deal 5 damage directly on it's drum, shock damage will be massive and a hit on it's chasis will pretty much destroy the entire bot even if i am nowhere near full power.

Try to stay away from the walls and hazards just in case she tries to do anything. Keep the spinner always facing Hobart but not directly, instead move a bit to the side so i can catch the edge of that somewhat narrow drum to get corner damage or ideally hit the support that holds that drum in place, hitting it WILL break it causing the drum to fall off and that will basically win me the fight.

If i see that the fight is somehow lasting more than, let's say 1:20, start to offset the spinner more to the side, making sure that the side of the weapon closer to Hobart is spinning outward. Eventually there will be an opening where Hobart can get in and hit my chasis without touching my turret, keep that opening at that size and don't let the bar get too far from the opposition.
Now she has the choice to either attack my chasis or my weapon, if she goes for the chasis let her get to close and when she enters the range of the turret immediately smack it to Hobart's side, dealing a shit ton of damage.
But if she goes for the bar move it away, but not too far, and let a small chase begin, that will give me more time to get my bar to full speed and then i can just attack when i feel like ending the chase. If she reacts and changes direction (specially if she is now facing my chasis) smack that spinner at her ASAP, probably hitting her side.

Avoid hazards, try to figure out if she is doing some cheesy strat, avoid mistakes and dumb shit that i could do.
GL HF
TEAM DESIGN FLAW
Insert funny text here

Recent history
This is very much out of date as i forgot/didn't bother to update it
Dirty Dozen -
Something Something I Regret Nothing 0-0
I Suck At Names II 0-0
OTSC v2.0 0-0

Butcher's Circus -
Evaccania DOOM 0-0

ROBOT4 -
Cyan Printer Ink 4-1 // Multiply and Surrender 2-1 // Apeirogon II 4-0 (Champion!) // Total 10-2

CBC4 -
Vindicator 4-2 // Apeirogon 4-3 // Pressure Flop II 5-3 // Padoru Machina 3-3 // Total 16-11

less recent stuff i guess
Thunder Underground -
OTSC 2-0 // Need For Spin 1-1 // FREE ICE CREAM 0-1 // Cookie Cutter 1-0 // Total (i guess) 4-2

REDDIT - Terrorbird 4-1
Reckoning: Evolution - Riptide 2-2
ROBOT3 -
Beaned 2-5 //<3 5-3 // Pressure Flop 4-3 // Omnicrap 2.0 2-5 // Total 13-16

CBC3 -
Evil Destroyer 4-4 // I Suck At Names 5-3 // Something Something Cluster Bot 3-3 // Equisde 3-3 // Total 15-13

ICEcrown - Hovercrap 3-3
REDDIT(2K18) - Omnicrap 3-3
Overall record: 70-53