ICECrown Week 6: Steelhead vs Death's Head Sasaprarilliar

This is the forum where you will role play for any fantasy leagues going on at the time.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Trihunter
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Team: Cool Story Brobotics

ICECrown Week 6: Steelhead vs Death's Head Sasaprarilliar

Post by Trihunter » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:04 pm

Steelhead: Speed: 6 / Traction: 5 / Torque: 2 / Weapon: 5 / Armour: 12

Death's Head Sasparprarilar (Hammer declared): 2 speed / 1 traction / 1 torque / 18 weapon (+4 turret) / 7 armour

I was expecting Death's Head Sasssparprilalla to use the spinner, but this'll be fun. Ssarprillarl only has 2 Speed, and approximately a light year of ground clearance, so it shouldn't be hard to get under. Spin up, navigate around the bump, then do a fairly simple approach and pop them over. Stay pretty aggressive, just focus on keeping them upside down, bullying them around whilst they try to selfright as we get the drum back up to speed. Just plain and simple, keep it aggressive, constantly bullying and flipping Sassapprarillaa around the arena, taking advantage of hazards if possible. If Sassypants somehow gets around us, just turn to get them back into the wedge. Scoopidypoop can't deal very much damage to us, so if they're swinging, just barrel in and flip/wedge them anyway. Nice and simple.

The Monsterworks
Team: The Monsterworks

ICECrown Week 6: Steelhead vs Death's Head Sarsaparilla

Post by The Monsterworks » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Death's Head Sarsaparilla (Hammer): 2 speed / 1 traction / 1 torque / 18+1 weapon (4 turret) / 7 armour

vs.

Steelhead: 6 speed / 5 traction / 2 torque / 5 weapon / 12 armour

Listen, there's no way around it: this isn't a great matchup for me, but that doesn't mean it's unwinnable. For starters, he's going to be overconfident, but I can still do three points of damage to anywhere but his flipper and can hit him at will with my turret and considerable range. That's enough to pierce and buckle, and to warp things that project from his chassis like the exhaust pipes, tail, and - importantly - the bars over his flywheel. Basically, there's a lot of opportunity to do cosmetic damage that appears significant and even serious functional damage. If one of those bars bends into the path of his flywheel, he can kiss his flipper goodbye, and since I imagine he'll be lining up to flip me all day, I'll have plenty of shots at them.

His flywheel setup makes him unable to chain flips and I can easily self-right. A circular shape is also inherently difficult to control and predict, so he'll struggle to effectively control and feed me to the hazards or OOTA areas without me self-righting and just driving away. I'm slow, but his torque is no better, and I should be able to squirm free - in addition to pounding him with the hammer - whenever he's not flipping.

Offensively, time his approaches, which are likely to be predictably aggressive. I might eat a few early flips, but I'm not a spinner that can just be stuffed, and I'll find the timing and distance before long. Aggressively pursue him, keeping my hammer in position to slam into his flywheel housing, whenever he's trying to spin up. Establish a seemingly reliable pattern and then periodically reverse to force him to misfire. Basically, bait and pounce. Overall, I know my drivetrain's pretty crap, but he's not the fastest brick around, so start by rushing out to the hump and placing myself on the opposite side from him. It's part of a strategy of maneuvering enough to force him to pay attention to his driving and arena positioning as opposed to my deeper tactics and how I'm timing my hammer. Consistently target that vulnerable area. Once his flipper's down, go full aggro. He can wedge me all he likes. It's actually to my benefit. Pound his chassis while on his wedge and j-hook away (I have the ground clearance) before he can take me to the hazards.

Best of luck, my dude
Mastodon... Extinction (HW)
Osiris... Armageddon! (MW)
Elrathia... ROBOTS (LW)
Magnolia Pico... Ruination 4 (MW)
RipTide... ROBOT2 (FW)
Black Diamond... Cherry Bomb Classic 3 (HW)
MADSCIENCE... ROBOTS 3 (LW)
Abyss... ROBOTS 3 (MW)

The Monsterworks: 214-57 (.790) ...Probably up to no good.
Cherry Bomb Classic IV: 25-4
Finishing Move: 6-2
Magnolia Pico: 6-1
Magnolia Grande: 6-1
Glacier III: 7-0
ROBOTS 3: 21-6
Sixpounder: 3-4
MADSCIENCE: 9-1 Champion!
Abyss: 9-1 Champion!