Top 10 Favorite Movies

Talk about anything relating to the "boob tube" or the "silver screen".
NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Top 10 Favorite Movies

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:46 am

Okay, your personal favorite movies:

1. The Godfather: I still consider this the best movie ever made. At the very least the measuring stick for all other Mafia/Gangster movies. The casting was superb all the way around.

2. The Lord of the Rings (Extended Version): I find its only fair to consider LOTR as one movie since that is basically what it really is all said and done. And as good as the theatrical cuts are, the extended cuts are only better.

3. Terminator 2: I think of this movie as one of the best sci-fi action movies ever, and certianly my favorite. One of the rare instances of a sequal surpassing the orginal.

4. 12 Angry Men: This movie has got to have the best character development I've ever seen in a film, and with 12 main characters, that's no easy task.

5. Gettysburg: Absolutly my favorite war film (so maybe I'm a little biased towards the Civil War). Besides all the well acted characters, its nice to see a war movie that doesn't need horrific violence to gets its message across.

6. Day of the Dead: My favorite of the George Romero quadrilogy, and the one I think has the most powerful story to it.

7. JFK: Yeah, so a good deal of it is highly stylized and speculative, its also very thought provoking as well.

8. The Untouchables: Two Kevin Costner films in my top 10? Wierd... Anyway, perhaps my favorite De Palma film (yes even over Scarface).

9. The Taking of Pelham One Two Three: Humor, suspense, and action blended perfectly in this movie.

10. Toy Story: All three collectively would make a strong case for best trilogy of all time. I'll give the first a slight edge overall.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Fish Of Doom

Top 10 Favorite Movies

Post by Fish Of Doom » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:57 am

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Perfect adaptation of Thompson's book. The visuals are stunning and convey the surreal drug-induced world of Thompson wonderfully. Depp and Del Toro are fantastic in their roles.

Hero - Best art direction of any movie ever made, no contest. I had an eyeball orgasm watching this.

Mullhulland Drive - The storyline and the way it's told (typical Lynch) are so complex and out there, with a total twist ending. The film is very hard to understand the first time, but it has possibly one of the best original screenplays I've ever seen.

Sin City - It's just a perfect adaptation of the great comic, especially visually. The casting is superb as well.

Indiana Jones (n-wowee counted a trilogy as a film) - These are the archetypes for so many modern adventure action movies, and do it so much better. Funny, exciting, suspenseful, it's everything.

Star Wars (the originals) - I really don't need to explain this one.

Aladdin - This was my favorite movie as a child, so it's mainly for nostalgia purposes. I just love this film.

Silent Hill - Finally a movie that does the game justice. As you could probably tell from my avatar, i'm a huge Silent Hill fan. The visuals are spectacular and create an atmosphere unlike no other.

The Nightmare Before Christmas - Another of my favorite childhood movies. The style of the film, as well as the way it's animated are so stunning and perfectly executed. Original story and characters make it a classic.

Sleepy Hollow - A very stylized and dark twist on the classic story. Great casting and awesome story developement with a twist ending.

Area51Escapee

Top 10 Favorite Movies

Post by Area51Escapee » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:23 pm

1. Terminator 2

I don't exactly have a distinct "favorite" movie but this is probably the closest it comes. When I first saw it, there was numerous things that blew me away. First off, it was the first sequel I saw that I thought was better than the original. It also had a near invincible bad guy, a great stroyline, awesome music, awesome action sequences, and a sad ending. It was my kind of movie.

2. Pirates of the Carribbean (series so far)

The series has been great so far with some brilliant special effects, good acting, good epic story and despite so many things going into each movie, they manage to jam pack it all pretty well. Oh, and I might have forgotten to mention...Johnny Depp.

3. Predator

I think this movie deserves the award for best bad guy ever.The buildup to the actual predator is great, and you set all these soldiers up to be the best of the best but get completely outwitted by the predator. Arnold vs. Predator is awesome and has even more of an awesome ending.

4. Spider-Man 2

It was not only a comic book adaptation but this movie added another special element, too. It added the drama of real life to the character of Peter Parker. It was part action/hero movie, part drama of how he has to deal with life and all of the complexities he faces both as Spider-Man and as Peter. In addition, it has Doc Ock and a satisfying ending.

5. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I loved this movie but probably not meant for everyone. It's got really good visuals, a bizarre world in itself outside of planet earth, and some very good dry wit to it.

6. Pitch Black

Even though Chronicles of Riddick sucked, Vin Diesel's character got that big because of how cool he was in Pitch Black. It surprisingly enough has very good acting, a nice buildup to the creatures to the rock they land on and some very intense, scary parts toward the end.

7. Clerks 2

Maybe the best comedy I've seen, certainly the best I've seen in this past year.

8. Collateral

Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx are brilliant in this hitman movie. Such a good character driven movie with some awesome suspense, twists and makes you really "feel" the movie by the end of it, it's that good.

9. Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Obviously, LOTR is a great series. I might have not enjoyed as some others do, but even though I'm not a LOTR fan, I still really like the movies, which makes the series a big success in my mind.

10. V for Vendetta

The Wachowski Brothers did a good job with this one creating a dark, futuristic totalitarian society. V, the main character, is great along with Natalie Portman who did a good job as the supporting role.

succotash_54

Top 10 Favorite Movies

Post by succotash_54 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:23 pm

This is gonna suck, since I've seen so few movies:

1. Brain Donors An excellent comedy starring John Turturro, Bob Nelsen, and Mel Smith. It's based on the Marx Brothers' "A Night At The Opera," and I think it's better because they have more freedom to make jokes that the Marx Brothers could not have gotten away with. I still laugh everytime I watch it.

2. Charade Starring Cary Grant and Audrey Hepburn... a murder mystery plus the quest for missing money. More plot twists and turns than a contortionist has on their body.

3. Rio Bravo I honestly haven't seen too many Westerns, so I can't tell you how formulaic it is as a film, but it's well-written, well acted, and not terribly cheesy (except for the shootout scene). Starring John Wayne, Walter Brennan, Dean Martin, and Ricky Nelson.

4. Star Wars Trilogy, original 3 If it counts as one, so be it. Awesome stuff. Enough said.

5. Clerks The first one. BRILLIANT! Witty, yet full of social commentary that just comes through in the brilliance of Dante and Randal. Plus, Jay And Silent Bob, c'mon!

6. The Princess Bride Anyone who does not pick up on a Princess Bride reference is a Communist. There, I said it.

7. Monty Python And The Holy Grail Monty Python are just plain brilliant. So many good films, but this one is just the apex of their comedic genius.

8. Dog Day Afternoon The only Al Pacino film I've seen so far, but I was just so sucked into this film. Beautiful.

9. The Pentagon Wars Starring Kelsey Grammar and Cary Elwes (Wesley from "The Princess Bride"), this is a Hollywood-ized account of Colonel James G. Burton, USAF, on the development, and ensuing headaches thereof, of the modern day Bradley fighting vehicle.

10. Lion King Alad--what? Forget that. This movie trumps everything that Disney had done before and has done since. But in all fairness, there was a very respectable climb to this movie: The Little Mermaid, Beauty And The Beast, Aladdin, then The Lion King. So powerful a film, Pocahontos, which followed it, just pales in comparison.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Top 10 Favorite Movies

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:52 pm

7 year bump.

At work right now, but I'll just give a list of the top 10 movies:
--------
10. The Mask (1994)

9. Pirates of the Caribbean series

8. Harry Potter series

7. Inglourious Basterds (2009)

6. 300 (2007)

5. The Avengers (2012)

4. Lord of the Rings trilogy

3. Watchmen (2009)

2. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

1. The Matrix (1999)
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

succotash_54

Top 10 Favorite Movies

Post by succotash_54 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:29 pm

As much as I love the dialogue in the first Clerks and its over-obsession with pop culture and how much we can all relate to being that guy who life just doesn't stop kicking in the balls, I think I may swap it out with Dogma, another Kevin Smith film. Production values on this film are much better, the social commentary is different yet better, and it still has some occasional pop culture trolling going on.