Looking to the future...

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Looking to the future...

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:01 pm

Outside of Nanael (and one last cameo by ZK in Ruination lol), LW is still pretty much my spinner class with Spike, O'Malley and Dr. Robotnik. The first two in particular since there is definite room to improve their weapon designs.

MW is a bit more balanced. Harbinger is showing good potential to stick around. Green Hornet is cool, but could probably use an upgrade, and we'll see what happens with Dedede.

HW I still can't get away from flippers in even though ToC is pretty much out to pasture at this point. Redemption Denied and Arbiter are finally looking like worth bots in their own right, and even with the rough stretch in LoRE, Ridley still is a solid design.

SHW a.k.a. Josh takes other peoples bots. Fulcrum and Jack Frost are the only real obvious choices. Everything else is mostly throwing a dart and hoping something sticks. Final Boss is probably done. Maybe a big overhaul of Tali would be a good idea.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

playzooki

Looking to the future...

Post by playzooki » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:50 pm

my bots are still shit and always will be

except shrek

shrek was robbed

BEES

Looking to the future...

Post by BEES » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:55 am

I'm working on my next team, and I'm glad I started now, because I've got a lot to do. Basically I feel like some of my designs could be shifted closer towards real robots to make them appear more effective and solid, and then some designs which performed well in the past were somewhat unsound. The key is making everything more effective without making it look boring--keeping the unique personality I always try to give my bots.

I talk about this in my CAD thread.
Last edited by BEES on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Looking to the future...

Post by That Kode Guy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:34 pm

So I want to flesh out my new SHW axebot, Ceres. Which follows the naming conventions of my newer bots (Juno, Pallas).

Unfortunately I'm kind of stuck on where to go with it. There's only so many ways one can design an axe-bot and they can do one of two things, or both if possible.

- strike from overhead and cause damage
- pierce into or clamp onto enemy armour and help control them

there's not really much else they do. you can make them double-sided ala Terrorhurtz, but that only gives you another side to axe with. what I did with Tellu wasn't that... original. it was just forming a wedge on the back of the axehead to work as a (mediocre) flipper.

so, what do i do? i realy don't want to be stuck in the doldrums here and delay making this bot for a year, only to turn it into something generic just to get it out of the way. :/
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

NFX

Looking to the future...

Post by NFX » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:01 pm

You could give it two horizontal axes, a bit like Splinter had. That'd allow for the bot to be invertible, and not have to worry about self-righting.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

That Kode Guy

Looking to the future...

Post by That Kode Guy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:06 pm

The question is, how effective would those axes really be? What would be their purpose? Grabbing? Grabbing doesn't quite work too well, and especially since most bots nowadays slope their sides.

That Kode Guy

Looking to the future...

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Ceres (?)

Yeah... I ditched the axe idea because I didn't like it. Rough version. Yes, that's a 12WD bot. And I tried to make it viable by having the wheelbase or TRACK or whatever it is (fuck you Martijn :P) spaced evenly. At least wheels work better than tracks most of the time. :v:

Spiritual successor to Teresa. The lifting arm (and mechanism, which is partway inside the giant puck in the middle) is attached to a punching mechanism, which can be adjusted very slightly. I can fire the arm at a slight downward angle, or slight upward angle. Was worried about the arm firing into the ground, but Spatula's input reassured me to go along with it, since he said it'd only really fire along the ground. :v: What this does is force the arm into the ground while also pushing it along the ground, defeating other lifters, and 2WD bots. It also acts as a puncher/keep-away stick against spinners, though it has a back-up hinged wedge/plow at the back just in case.

I wanted to make the arm wider, but if I did that it would look very cumbersome and unsightly, so... yeah. :v:

I'll fiddle around with it more and see what I get, I suppose. I guess I can enter it into whatever comes after FRR7.

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Looking to the future...

Post by Venice Queen » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:25 pm

I cant believe you managed to out-wheel Angry goat with a design that actually seems viable. it's a unique take on a lifter, that's for sure
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

British-Robotics

Looking to the future...

Post by British-Robotics » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:43 pm

Decent design :), but heck now I need to come up with an even melty brain, crazy, hoo-hah design to kill that thingymabob!

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Looking to the future...

Post by NWOWWE » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:44 pm

Of course I feel like this is becoming relevant again. :v:

Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Looking to the future...

Post by GF93 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:24 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Jan 19 2016, 03:13 PM</dd></dl><div>Ceres (?)

Yeah... I ditched the axe idea because I didn't like it. Rough version. Yes, that's a 12WD bot. And I tried to make it viable by having the wheelbase or TRACK or whatever it is (fuck you Martijn :P) spaced evenly. At least wheels work better than tracks most of the time. :v:

Spiritual successor to Teresa. The lifting arm (and mechanism, which is partway inside the giant puck in the middle) is attached to a punching mechanism, which can be adjusted very slightly. I can fire the arm at a slight downward angle, or slight upward angle. Was worried about the arm firing into the ground, but Spatula's input reassured me to go along with it, since he said it'd only really fire along the ground. :v: What this does is force the arm into the ground while also pushing it along the ground, defeating other lifters, and 2WD bots. It also acts as a puncher/keep-away stick against spinners, though it has a back-up hinged wedge/plow at the back just in case.

I wanted to make the arm wider, but if I did that it would look very cumbersome and unsightly, so... yeah. :v:

I'll fiddle around with it more and see what I get, I suppose. I guess I can enter it into whatever comes after FRR7.[/quote]Love the look of this one, I have to say.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

Mystic2000
Team: Myst Inc

Looking to the future...

Post by Mystic2000 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:45 pm

HW Design i'm working on potentially for FRR7, if i don't continue on with the Midnights, which now feel like a failed attempt at a rebirth of my old bots than anything, here is Thallium :

HW Drum with Babaganoush style skirt and rounded chassis cause HS can die in a inferno (then againt it's that or it will be a wedge war like RA2)

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Looking to the future...

Post by GF93 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:09 pm

Nice, that looks pretty solid. Even if does look a bit like a evil Smartie with the roundness and bright colours. :P
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."