Robot Bastards 2: The New Era - Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:48 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>ACCount</dt><dd>Mar 2 2017, 04:40 PM</dd></dl><div>Disappointed by Initial D vs Sucker Punch. I agree with Initial D victory, this could easily go both ways, but when a writer starts to argue about "it doesn't really work that way" right in result, it really pisses me off. What's making it worse is that the same writer never bothered to read the second half of my RP. Seriously, it's 400 characters, how can you justify not reading it?

/salt[/quote]lol

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:53 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>attackfrog</dt><dd>Mar 2 2017, 08:49 PM</dd></dl><div>I'm so salty right now.
  • Why did the Frogbot match have me drive straight into the spinning bar of Pooky to get obliterated when my RP clearly said I'd only approach it from the rear?
[/quote]I didn't even write this match, but I seriously want to know how on earth you'd only approach him from the rear lol. This is also going hand in hand with the fact that, uhh, if you never approached him at all (in the situation that you could never get to the rear) you would lose because of your lack of aggression.

Wolf51-50

Post by Wolf51-50 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:03 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Mar 2 2017, 09:53 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>attackfrog</dt><dd>Mar 2 2017, 08:49 PM</dd></dl><div>I'm so salty right now.
  • Why did the Frogbot match have me drive straight into the spinning bar of Pooky to get obliterated when my RP clearly said I'd only approach it from the rear?
[/quote]I didn't even write this match, but I seriously want to know how on earth you'd only approach him from the rear lol. This is also going hand in hand with the fact that, uhh, if you never approached him at all (in the situation that you could never get to the rear) you would lose because of your lack of aggression.[/quote]See, with a normal bot, I understand where he's coming from. But Frogbot isn't your ordinary bot. Alex, I'm not targeting you, but I think it goes to show that it might be a problem with some RPers I the strategy isn't clear enough, or with some of the writers where they might miss something, or misjudge a design (I've been there, done that too). I believe he was talking about approaching Pooky from the rear by hooking it on the rear <big><big> with its giant 4 foot flipper sticking out of the robot</big></big> Perhaps by looking at a design, either person (RPer or writer) could be at fault here. I'm not arguing whether the result was correct or not, but I do believe that there needs to be some clarification here between RPers and writers. We've got unhappy people all over this thread
Alpha Robotics - Embrace the carnage!

Recent Tournaments:

ROBOT2
FW: Apocalyptic Peacekeeper (2-3)
LW: Backstab 3 (3-3) [Lifetime 11-8]
MW: Outrage 2 (4-1) [Lifetime 6-3]
HW: Tulta Munille (3-2)

Ruination: The Upheavel
LW: White Lightning (1-6) [Lifetime 4-8]
MW: Diablo Genesis (5-3) [Lifetime 10-5]
HW: Coup de Grâce (2-5) [Lifetime 13-9]
SHW: Fenrir (6-2) [Lifetime 7-3]

Reckoning: The Revival
MW: Vovoka (4-1) [Lifetime 10-3]

tune in next time on ARC when I one-up Boto by posting my vast collection of Thomas The Tank Engine hentai on the Discord :V -HFL

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:13 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Wolf51-50</dt><dd>Mar 2 2017, 10:03 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Mar 2 2017, 09:53 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>attackfrog</dt><dd>Mar 2 2017, 08:49 PM</dd></dl><div>I'm so salty right now.
[/quote]I didn't even write this match, but I seriously want to know how on earth you'd only approach him from the rear lol. This is also going hand in hand with the fact that, uhh, if you never approached him at all (in the situation that you could never get to the rear) you would lose because of your lack of aggression.[/quote]See, with a normal bot, I understand where he's coming from. But Frogbot isn't your ordinary bot. Alex, I'm not targeting you, but I think it goes to show that it might be a problem with some RPers I the strategy isn't clear enough, or with some of the writers where they might miss something, or misjudge a design (I've been there, done that too). I believe he was talking about approaching Pooky from the rear by hooking it on the rear <big><big> with its giant 4 foot flipper sticking out of the robot</big></big> Perhaps by looking at a design, either person (RPer or writer) could be at fault here. I'm not arguing whether the result was correct or not, but I do believe that there needs to be some clarification here between RPers and writers. We've got unhappy people all over this thread[/quote]how is frogbot getting anywhere near pooky's rear

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:14 pm

like even 8 to 3 speed, pooky's blade covers like 80% of his front, and to make things worse, frogbot's massive flipper comes at a disadvantage because he has to get that thing AROUND the blade. frogbot having such a long design means that getting the entire robot around pooky's front and able to attack it's back is a herculean task

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:17 pm

a better course of argument should be that pooky just kills itself first

winternimbus
Team: Team Foxtrot Uniform

Post by winternimbus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:18 pm

when does pooky not kill itself like an edgy teenager though
winter! she/they pronouns, trans rights babey!

ROBOT FIGHT NIGHT: MINI
Break Dash - 1-1
Neophyte Redglare - 1-1

Neophyte Redglare - Robot Fight Night: Season 1 Quarter-Finals, Cherry Bomb Classic 3 Quarter-Finals
America Offline - Robot Fight Night: Season 1 Quarter-Finals

"I'm curious what tactical advantage you're hoping to gain by sacrificing a portion of your bots size/weight for a deployable banana"
-NWOWWE, 2017

attackfrog
Team: Aquatic Robotics

Post by attackfrog » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:34 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>Mar 2 2017, 10:14 PM</dd></dl><div>like even 8 to 3 speed, pooky's blade covers like 80% of his front, and to make things worse, frogbot's massive flipper comes at a disadvantage because he has to get that thing AROUND the blade. frogbot having such a long design means that getting the entire robot around pooky's front and able to attack it's back is a herculean task[/quote]Okay, fair enough I guess, I thought being almost three times as fast would make it possible to get behind the other robot, but okay. But you seem to be misunderstanding how I intended Frogbot to work. It doesn't drive all the way around behind the other robot in a large curve. It goes back and to the side of it, stops, and turns in place to get the side of the tongue under the back of the other robot (or the side, or whatever.) That's why the tongue is hammer shaped, to make that easier.

I'm mostly just mad here because the writeup had me drive straight into Pooky rather than even try to get behind it.

Wolf51-50

Post by Wolf51-50 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:29 am

I think I found the problem here. It wasn't you at all. This was just a good strategy by Botomatic. If you used the flipper, especially with a speed advantage, it doesn't help that he actually wanted to jump onto your flipper. And with the blades large surface area, and a mix of you getting under and him jumping on top of the flipper, there was honestly nothing that could happen but a solid hit. So getting under him actually worked in his favor in a way. Sometimes writers also like it when the RPer says how much of the flipper to use during the fight (idk why) Not saying this is what happened, I'm just putting my two bits and out there.

Recent Tournaments:

ROBOT2

tune in next time on ARC when I one-up Boto by posting my vast collection of Thomas The Tank Engine hentai on the Discord :V -HFL

Botomatic1000
Team: Team Riptide: Advanced Robot Combat

Post by Botomatic1000 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:44 am

Oh dear what has my sh***y undercutter caused...
I'm happy that it's actually won which is surprising but not a bad surprise.
Wulven is doing is thing being sh** as usual.
Still waiting for Le Tambour I don't know why even bother to RP it or Wulven they have no bloody chance.
"The moment you think you'll crash, you will" - Tony Pond
Team Captain of the IRL team, Kings Heath Colliders Robotics and Team Riptide: Advanced Robot Combat
Accolades
The New Blood: Joint 3rd with Raccoon XL
ROBOTS 3: Featherweight Quarter-Finalist with HardWired III
ROBOTS 3: Middleweight Quarter-Finalist with Der Adder
ROBOTS 3: Heavyweight Semi-Finalist with Night Jackal III
Cherry Bomb Classic 4: Featherweight Semi-Finalist with I Can't Believe It's Not Tanto
Cherry Bomb Classic 4: Heavyweight Semi-Finalist and Annihilator joint winner with Xtreme pneumatiX
Rumble In Da Jungle: Event Champion with Avanti!
ROBOTS 4: Featherweight Semi-Finalist with I Can't Believe It's Not Tanto
ROBOTS 4: Lightweight Semi-Finalist with Avanti!

Wolf51-50

Post by Wolf51-50 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:13 am

*Sees Josh online*

Josh&#33; You are online&#33; Make results&#33; :v: (kidding man, take your time)

Recent Tournaments:

ROBOT2

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:37 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Wolf51-50</dt><dd>Mar 3 2017, 04:29 AM</dd></dl><div>I think I found the problem here. It wasn't you at all. This was just a good strategy by Botomatic. If you used the flipper, especially with a speed advantage, it doesn't help that he actually wanted to jump onto your flipper. And with the blades large surface area, and a mix of you getting under and him jumping on top of the flipper, there was honestly nothing that could happen but a solid hit. So getting under him actually worked in his favor in a way. Sometimes writers also like it when the RPer says how much of the flipper to use during the fight (idk why) Not saying this is what happened, I'm just putting my two bits and out there.[/quote]That kind of makes sense. I guess it was an impossible matchup for me. Just wish I had used my flipper before it got destroyed :v:

BEES

Post by BEES » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:30 pm

Pooky vs Frogbot was one of the tougher fights I had to decide.

I think with a shorter and better-shaped snout, absolutely Frogbot could do it. There's very little 'side' of Pooky to gain purchase on with the weapon if you try to outflank though. It's nearly impossible to touch without touching the weapon in some way, and I think having a better anti-spinner shape for your front would've allowed you to just take hits straight on the nose until he died.

Pooky is slow and kills itself but fact of the matter is, it has a 17 point weapon and it has objectively a very good shape for a spinner. It absolutely should win some fights and be a problem for pushers that aren't well-optimized against spinners. If it had a larger weapon/armor split it would kill itself in less hits and then it would be terrible. But it has just enough hits in it to be a threat.
Last edited by BEES on Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

attackfrog

Post by attackfrog » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:02 pm

Fair enough, I can accept that.

Wolf51-50

Post by Wolf51-50 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:59 pm

YES&#33; Finally&#33; A winning record&#33; WA-HOOO :v:

And that was a great write up with Trump Ex Machina vs Outrage. That's exactly what I would want to do with irl Trump. Well fought Alex V and Botomatic

Recent Tournaments:

ROBOT2