Bot-O-Rama 2016 - Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:13 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The_Angry_Goat</dt><dd>Apr 25 2016, 01:09 PM</dd></dl><div>how the hell is Buzzkill still alive :v:

fought the good fight against Vorpal Bunny... it's a helluva spinner and hard to beat. I would at least appreciate having my RP read before I'm eviscerated, though :P[/quote]#LOWARMORBOYZ

And yeah, good match. I honestly thought I was going to get stuck on the wall or OOTAed.

I'm fighting Rebellious Activity again though, so that may still happen.

Venice Queen
Team: ‽ Robotics

Post by Venice Queen » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:16 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>HotDealsInTexas</dt><dd>Apr 25 2016, 01:09 PM</dd></dl><div> Feathergo's lifter

[/quote]?
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

V900? Wheres V1-899 ~NickyDustyOwl
fridge ~ V900

Wasn't Ted Bundy physically attractive though? ~Superbomb122
get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:50 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The_Angry_Goat</dt><dd>Apr 25 2016, 01:16 PM</dd></dl><div><blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>HotDealsInTexas</dt><dd>Apr 25 2016, 01:09 PM</dd></dl><div> Feathergo's lifter

[/quote]?[/quote]I have no idea what you're talking about. Feathergo is a vertical spinner and I have never said otherwise.

*surreptitiously edits post*

TotallyNotSatan

Post by TotallyNotSatan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:56 am

Ooh&#33; Wyvern vs. The Horney One yet again.

Venice Queen

Post by Venice Queen » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:20 pm

why are so many robots afraid of me in the rumble :v:
‽ ROBOTICS
CHAMPIONS: Lightweight//Ruination 4//Nick's Fuzzy Rules -- -- Hobbyweight//Bot-o-Rama//Buzzkill -- -- Arbitraryweight//D12//Listen Here, Grandad, This Is America, Everyone Here Eats Ass

Bots that I think are better than my actual champions: Chimera // Venice Queen // Cuddle Time!

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:25 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>The_Angry_Goat</dt><dd>Apr 29 2016, 02:20 PM</dd></dl><div>why are so many robots afraid of me in the rumble :v:[/quote]It's actually a BO problem, they were just too polite to tell you.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Sun May 01, 2016 7:09 pm

<big><big>Ladies and Gentlemen, the final results are in&#33; After thirty-six robots and eighty-four matches, the champions have been crowned.</big></big>

<big>In the Hobbyweight Division:</big>

1st Place: Buzzkill
2nd Place: Panda
3rd Place: Sirocco

Rumble Winners: Do Not Open and Radio Hit

<big>In the Featherweight Division:</big>

1st Place: Vorpal Bunny
2nd Place: Rebellious Activity
3rd Place: Oh Geeze I'm Terribly Sorry I Didn't Mean to Flip Your Robot Over

Rumble Winners: Oh Geeze I'm Terribly Sorry I Didn't Mean to Flip Your Robot Over and Vorpal Bunny
(don't those names sound familiar?)

<big>In the Sportsman Division:</big>

1st Place: Sling Shot
2nd Place: Loud Love
3rd Place: Tormentor

Rumble Winners: Neon and Wyvern

Congratulations to all our winning roboteers: The_Angry_Goat, with Buzzkill, Oh Geeze, and Wyvern&#33; Toxic, with Panda&#33; Badnik96, with Sirocco, Rebellious Activity, and Sling Shot&#33; KodeBreaker, with Loud Love&#33; Playzooki, with Radio Hit and Tormentor&#33; And Cha0sFerret, with Do Not Open and Neon&#33; Oh, and uh, HotDealsInTexas, with Vorpal Bunny&#33;
<small>
Special mention goes to Badnik96 for standing on all three spots on the podium.</small>

Thank you so much to the writers, The_Angry_Goat and TotallyNotSatan, for helping make this event happen, and to all of you for competing. I know there have been a few moments of controversy, and I made a few mistakes my first time running a tournament, but I think overall it was a good experience and I hope to learn from the experience in future events&#33;
Last edited by Hooray For Lexan on Sun May 01, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cha0sFerret

Post by Cha0sFerret » Sun May 01, 2016 7:21 pm

Man, I was nervous about DNO's fight (2nd place btw, not just a rumble winner). That really could have gone either way. At any rate, that was my first time reaching the finals on ARC. Good fight Gabe, Buzzkill is a worthy machine.

...however, I want to say that I suspect neither of our RPs were read. Or least, mine sure wasn't. See, some of us were some suspicious that a certain writer was not reading the RPs, so I decided to test it for myself. Ever heard of a word trap?
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>My RP: Buzzkill vs DNO</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>It's hard to say who has the wedgier wedge since we're both 2WD, but considering the position of his weapon, his center of mass is probably farther back than mine so there's slightly less force pushing the edge of his wedge down, put the word dolphin somewhere in the result, meaning I should in theory get under successfully more often than not.[/quote]Dolphin was not found anywhere in the result for this fight.

It's safe to say the writer of this fight failed the test.
You know what, why am I being ambiguous with my wording, anyone can go look up who wrote this. TNS, I'm calling you out on not reading my RP.
poopity scoop

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Sun May 01, 2016 7:28 pm

A couple other things:

* Dem rumbles: Spinnerfest2016.

* Dat featherweight final. Honestly I didn't think I was going to be able to pull that off, but I guess VB finally got the lucky side hit it was trying to go for all of the first match with RA. Good fight.

* Dat sportsman final. Sling Shot and Loud Love have been some of the coolest, craziest bots this tournament, and I felt they both deserved a close, but spectacular end to the final match. And yeah, Sling Shot really is OOTA-capable from the middle of the arena. A flipper with a power of 9 is scary when the arena is only 24 ft wide.

As for my bots... well, Bonk&#33; did decently, which is about what I expected. It was mostly there to fill out the roster. Vorpal Bunny was INSANE. Honestly I though the impractical spinner with the overpowered weapon would win a couple fights, then live up to its name by going down in a blaze of glory against a bot with a holy hand grenade. And Ahlspiess... was a massive disappointment. I though a spearbot would have a field day in Sportsmans since everyone would be worrying about hammers and saws and up-armor the tops of their bots. As it turns out, there wasn't much armor in the class at all, but Ahlspiess did almost nothing all event in part because of its mediocre drivetrain and in part because it got matched up against either robots that were an awkward shape for stabbing, or the ONE ROBOT IN THE COMPETITION that could kill it in a few hits through the top cover. I might still enter it next year though, because TBH I want to see a spearbot be successful, and it just ain't happening in open with all the wedges and spinners.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Sun May 01, 2016 7:39 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>HotDealsInTexas</dt><dd>May 1 2016, 07:28 PM</dd></dl><div>* Dat sportsman final. Sling Shot and Loud Love have been some of the coolest, craziest bots this tournament, and I felt they both deserved a close, but spectacular end to the final match. And yeah, Sling Shot really is OOTA-capable from the middle of the arena. A flipper with a power of 9 is scary when the arena is only 24 ft wide.[/quote]I'd like to know why I stupidly charged at him and risked OOTA'ing myself like that when I said in my RP to stay near the walls more, especially since at that point I pretty much had the match in the bag.

Nothing against Badnik, Sling Shot's a great design. But that's really not the way I'd have preferred to lose.

I just don't get it. Was it purely for shock value?
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

Hooray For Lexan

Post by Hooray For Lexan » Sun May 01, 2016 7:40 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Cha0sFerret</dt><dd>May 1 2016, 07:21 PM</dd></dl><div>Man, I was nervous about DNO's fight (2nd place btw, not just a rumble winner). That really could have gone either way. At any rate, that was my first time reaching the finals on ARC. Good fight Gabe, Buzzkill is a worthy machine.

...however, I want to say that I suspect neither of our RPs were read. Or least, mine sure wasn't. See, some of us were some suspicious that a certain writer was not reading the RPs, so I decided to test it for myself. Ever heard of a word trap?
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>My RP: Buzzkill vs DNO</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>It's hard to say who has the wedgier wedge since we're both 2WD, but considering the position of his weapon, his center of mass is probably farther back than mine so there's slightly less force pushing the edge of his wedge down, put the word dolphin somewhere in the result, meaning I should in theory get under successfully more often than not.[/quote]Dolphin was not found anywhere in the result for this fight.

You know what, why am I being ambiguous with my wording, anyone can go look up who wrote this. TNS, I'm calling you out on not reading my RP.[/quote]...wow. Okay, that's pretty bad. I was also suspicious of TNS not reading RPs/the rules, but that's impressive.

I didn't want to cause mid-tournament drama, but since the finals are done now, I think I have to say that TotallyNotSatan will not be returning as a writer if I do this tournament again next year, unless I see major improvements in Pressure Drop (are you writing for that this year, Satan?)

Also, speaking of writing, I just checked the document with all my results in it, and it's over 14,000 words.If you add a few thousand more for my RPs, I think that means I've written the equivalent of a short novella for this tournament (I don't think the matches and results combine to make a novel, though, since my matches and RPs tend to be on the longer side).

EDIT: Found the problem. Your dolphin somehow got lost and ended up in the Featherweight Rumble.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Meanwhile, a dolphin just did materialize from nowhere next to the announcer
Last edited by Hooray For Lexan on Sun May 01, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Venice Queen

Post by Venice Queen » Sun May 01, 2016 7:56 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>HotDealsInTexas</dt><dd>May 1 2016, 07:40 PM</dd></dl><div>EDIT: Found the problem. Your dolphin somehow got lost and ended up in the Featherweight Rumble.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Meanwhile, a dolphin just did materialize from nowhere next to the announcer
Last edited by Venice Queen on Sun May 01, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
‽ ROBOTICS

fridge ~ V900

get a room ~Madbull
I will NOT ~Superbomb122

TotallyNotSatan

Post by TotallyNotSatan » Sun May 01, 2016 9:19 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Cha0sFerret</dt><dd>May 1 2016, 07:21 PM</dd></dl><div>Man, I was nervous about DNO's fight (2nd place btw, not just a rumble winner). That really could have gone either way. At any rate, that was my first time reaching the finals on ARC. Good fight Gabe, Buzzkill is a worthy machine.

You know what, why am I being ambiguous with my wording, anyone can go look up who wrote this. TNS, I'm calling you out on not reading my RP.[/quote]I thought the "dolphin thing" was a silly equivalent to "and carry the five", etc., a silly way to write "...therefore, I should get under more often than not.", the "result" in your wording being the math done to figure out that your wedge should get under his(e.g. "and I have a stronger Weapon stat than he does Armor, carry the five, my axe should break his drive train.") . I do absolutely read the RPs.

And by the way, Jesus Christ HDiT. 14k words?&#33; Mine is only 6k&#33; (Although it doesn't include the first two weeks.)
Last edited by TotallyNotSatan on Sun May 01, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cha0sFerret

Post by Cha0sFerret » Sun May 01, 2016 9:47 pm

If you've been reading my RPs at all, you would know I don't write like that. Furthermore, I have never, ever heard/read anyone use dolphins in an expression like this, so I'm having a hard time believing you.

If you're not lying about reading the RPs, the fact that multiple people suspected you weren't should tell you that there is a massive problem with your result writing abilities. To be perfectly frank, you probably shouldn't be writing yet.
poopity scoop

TotallyNotSatan

Post by TotallyNotSatan » Sun May 01, 2016 9:50 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Cha0sFerret</dt><dd>May 1 2016, 09:47 PM</dd></dl><div>If you've been reading my RPs at all, you would know I don't write like that. Furthermore, I have never, ever heard/read anyone use dolphins in an expression like this, so I'm having a hard time believing you.

If you're not lying about reading the RPs, the fact that multiple people suspected you weren't should tell you that there is a massive problem with your result writing abilities. To be perfectly frank, you probably shouldn't be writing yet.[/quote]I have heard said "dolphin" thing