ARC Off-Season?

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

prince palatine

ARC Off-Season?

Post by prince palatine » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:37 pm

Hello folks, just thought I'd bring this up.

In the last few months I've noticed that a few (Myself included) seem practically burned out from having to write constant RP's and/or results back to back to back for tournaments non stop since Ruination 1 onwards. There's no denying that that amount of commitment is slightly insane at the best of times, and it causes us to wrack our brains in the smallest window possible to actually pluck a bot out of thin air and perfect within a week of the next tournament or sometimes mid tournament itself, which can easily cause design blocks which wont be good for the community as a whole.

So what do I propose? Maybe some form of off season of 3-5 months max between each and every tournament. That way, everyone can come up with better and fresh ideas without the panic of distracting themselves from RP's. It also helps the writing staff to recharge their batteries so that writing can seem fun again and less of a chore.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Just threw this out there with the best intentions of the forum and people competing as a whole.

playzooki

ARC Off-Season?

Post by playzooki » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:17 am

I could do arc assbots in the off season, as that doesnt take much effort (except maybe for me and whoever else is writing)

British-Robotics

ARC Off-Season?

Post by British-Robotics » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:09 am

I think a nice long break would help rest my brain and my cogs from burning out. At the moment after refurbishing some of my robots I'm nearly there to reach the same level as you guys :).

MadBull

ARC Off-Season?

Post by MadBull » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:23 am

Two things.

1. Every individual who wants a break is free to take a break. I have done that over the years. If after LoRE you don't feel like participating in a tournament for a few weeks, you are completely free to just not enter the tournament that comes after LoRE! ARC isn't given you this workload, participants are giving themselves this workload by entering. If I felt burned out by ARC I sure as fuck would know what I would do, lol.

2. This is not meant as a dig at anyone, but, something I actually wouldn't mind at all and that would both lessen the workload AND potentially help the current tournament, is if we would RP for LoRE every 2 weeks instead of every week? Think about it, the concept of the tournaments here is that activity happens on a weekly basis with results posted shortly after the RP deadline, of course every tournament has freedom to create another approach but as far as I know with LoRE that is not the case. LoRE's results are consistently one week late, and are now for 2 weeks in a row more than a week late. This may well be related to the workload Lian mentions. I legitimately think, if more people than just Lian experience that each week they are busier with this game than they'd want, that if LoRE would adopt a system in which we RP every 2 weekends, with results posted around the weekend in between, pressure would be taken off some people.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

ARC Off-Season?

Post by That Kode Guy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:30 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>MadBull</dt><dd>Jun 21 2015, 08:23 AM</dd></dl><div>2. This is not meant as a dig at anyone, but, something I actually wouldn't mind at all and that would both lessen the workload AND potentially help the current tournament, is if we would RP for LoRE every 2 weeks instead of every week? Think about it, the concept of the tournaments here is that activity happens on a weekly basis with results posted shortly after the RP deadline, of course every tournament has freedom to create another approach but as far as I know with LoRE that is not the case. LoRE's results are consistently one week late, and are now for 2 weeks in a row more than a week late. This may well be related to the workload Lian mentions. I legitimately think, if more people than just Lian experience that each week they are busier with this game than they'd want, that if LoRE would adopt a system in which we RP every 2 weekends, with results posted around the weekend in between, pressure would be taken off some people. [/quote]I could attempt this with Ruination 3, tbh.
This account is in a state of dimensional flux