FRR: No Mercy - Pre-season Predictions

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:20 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Feb 11 2014, 04:56 PM</dd></dl><div>

[/quote]<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>That's not even close to the point I was making. I wasn't accusing you of rigging things by doing the bulk of the results. Quite frankly I've spent a good deal of time wondering if (and specifically related to the one incident I mentioned) if I had somehow lost your confidence in relation to my writing. If it was only coincidence then that's fine and whatnot, but the timing always seemed strange to me.[/quote] I might have, but I don't think I did, just because that's a little extreme. I just don't do shit like that.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>You could have let someone else know you were doing the majority of results out of a fear of something like FRR 3/4 happening again, (maybe you even did, but I certainly was never made aware) rather than just shaking it off as "hey it's cool guys I've got it". Team effort and all that. I'm sure everyone involved would have understood.[/quote] Maybe, but by the same token, I remember when I first started handing out assignments, dividing the workload evenly, other people wouldn't have theirs done till Wednesday or even Friday, and that just wasn't right, so I started doing more and giving less. Eventually it just became "I'll do as much as I can while I'm at work and give what's left to you guys.' I remember some weekends were just so frazzling for me that I really had to rely on you guys, but as a whole, the way I'd been doing things worked, it kept the schedule's on time, and people were generally happy about it. By the same token as me voicing concern about getting flaked on, you guys could have said something about "Hey, how about throwing us some more?" I don't think I heard that one much, if at all.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:46 pm

I think we can well agree that there's been poor staff communication from time to time. None of us are perfect and sometimes it leads to misunderstandings. For my part I think my thought process (at the time) came from Chris saying that you had mentioned to him at one point during one of the seasons that you thought I didn't care much for your team and I found it a bit odd that you wouldn't have voiced that concern to me directly, especially since you had my phone number in addition to Chris's. I wondered if the perception of me at large was of some evil ogre, ready to club someone and eat their livers if they tried to confront me about something. :D

In any case I've raised my questions about past events that were somewhere in the back of my head for some time and I've now seen them explained/rationalized in a satisfactory fashion. If you say that's the way it was I have no real reason not to believe you and I'm content to leave it at that. I have no interest in building up hard feelings over results and tournaments from years ago.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:40 pm

That's fine. FWIW, I don't remember everything crystal clear. I do remember a couple of non-staffers bitching about how championships almost always went to the writers, so if I did make as many staffers lose in the semis as possible on purpose, that's more likely to have been the reason (keeping peace with those who suspected collusion) than personal vendettas. If I did suspect that you had personal distaste for my team, that would account for my not letting write results for my bots. (Tangentially, I was initially leery of letting Kody write any fights for YC this season) And if, as in those days, I was writing results for all fights that weren't mine, and I thought you were letting personal dislike for my bots cloud your judgment, then yeah, you probably wouldn't have gotten any fights then.

Whatever, it's in the past. There've been too many seasons for me to recall the chapter and verse for every decision of mine, or even when I was in charge of which seasons. And it's been too long ago for me to remember, and I've spent too many hours in rubber boots working in fish-product producing and packing plants for me to muster up enough give-a-shit at this point if we've moved past it.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:02 pm

Any talk about personal vendettas is a crock of shit. Or at least it should be. I've lost to Final Boss more times than I can count. Am I going to make Josh lose because of that? Of course not. I would rather think that the staff, having survived for this long, would be professional enough to avoid petty squabbles and blame games.

Philip, I know you don't think highly of me at the moment because of my views on your team this season, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't chalk it up to some vengeance ploy. I just don't feel that the team you have entered is up to par with many of the other entries. My views do not necessarily reflect how matches will go, though. I'm not fucking Nostradamus, you're completely free to disagree, and I wouldn't be surprised if many others disagreed.

However, I take mighty offense to what seems to be a demand that I shouldn't write any fights for Yellow Cloud. I have no bones to pick with YC, I simply explained my points about it and I feel that they are valid, moreso since NFX agreed with me. But I always have the other staff help verify my results as well, so I do not send in a very sketchy result. I don't have people lose because "oh lol its so funni", but apparently you feel otherwise.
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

succotash_54

Post by succotash_54 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:45 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Feb 11 2014, 09:02 PM</dd></dl><div>

[/quote]<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Philip, I know you don't think highly of me at the moment because of my views on your team this season, but I'd appreciate it if you didn't chalk it up to some vengeance ploy. I just don't feel that the team you have entered is up to par with many of the other entries. My views do not necessarily reflect how matches will go, though. I'm not fucking Nostradamus, you're completely free to disagree, and I wouldn't be surprised if many others disagreed.[/quote]
Whoa whoa, back up. I respect you Kody. Your critiques for DH and Baba are fair, but in past competitions, I've been able to find a way to counter those issues with fair success. This is also a new stat setup for me, since I haven't dealt with an ARC like stat allocation that had both traction and torque. It's a bit of a challenge to find the right combo for a bot.

The only thing I took issue with was your dismissal of YC. I took issue with it because 1) it read as flippant and 2) it was steeped in the hierarchy that a] people were complaining about as much as they were trying to use to their advantage the last time I competed and b] is really more of a generality than a hard-and-fast rank-and-file system like a game of War, Poker, or Stratego. I took issue with that.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>However, I take mighty offense to what seems to be a demand that I shouldn't write any fights for Yellow Cloud. I have no bones to pick with YC, I simply explained my points about it and I feel that they are valid, moreso since NFX agreed with me. But I always have the other staff help verify my results as well, so I do not send in a very sketchy result. I don't have people lose because "oh lol its so funni", but apparently you feel otherwise.[/quote] That's all I needed to know. I trust you.