Revolution Discussion

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Revolution Discussion

Post by NWOWWE » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:50 pm

Well, this is supposed to be the playoffs. Double elim sorta defeats the purpose, I mean with that we could have just done the old fashioned tourny all the way through. Double elim just doesn't fit the playoff spirit. Oddly, if the double elim was in place it would be possible that two bots could have faced each FOUR TIMES in one season... yikes.

So no, I think the single elim is definetly in.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Area51Escapee

Revolution Discussion

Post by Area51Escapee » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:24 am

Yes, it's definitely single elimination. This is what makes the playoffs as intense as possible, just like Josh said.

However, now that we've gotten a feel for both styles, I find myself definitely prefering the round robin as opposed to the old tournament style.

Siphai

Revolution Discussion

Post by Siphai » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:39 am

I have to agree. I do enjoy the Round Robin style since it gives you a greater ability to test out bots, since you'll get 11 or so fights. Before, I might have had a robot go up against two guys in a row who basically perfectly counter it so I'd never know if it would be effective against the rest of the competition or not.

Round Robin gives you a sense of who really is the best, since they have to preform very well over a large pool of different machines.

Minion33088

Revolution Discussion

Post by Minion33088 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:50 pm

Yeah, I definitely prefer round-robin as well. Though I'd prefer it be double elim once you get to the last 4 bots, I can definitely see how single elim makes it more intense so either way is fine by me.

succotash_54

Revolution Discussion

Post by succotash_54 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:45 pm

DEFINITELY single elim.

However, what I *do* think we should do is a consolation fight for third place.

Area51Escapee

Revolution Discussion

Post by Area51Escapee » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:12 pm

Alright, it's official. Tank is in the playoffs and not SKoM afterall. We talked it over and it's ok. However, in the future, it's generally not wise to RP FOR YOUR OPPONENT!!!

As for me, I fight Double Dose, Tank and Japanese School Girl first round. Two of them I beat in the regular season, and Tank I lost to. IN any event, this will be tough.

succotash_54

Revolution Discussion

Post by succotash_54 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:41 pm

Yeah, no kidding, my Babaganoush draws the ONLY opponent to beat it during the regular season off the bat. Ah well, there's a reason that Adrenaline is also in the playoffs right.

Siphai

Revolution Discussion

Post by Siphai » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:35 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Area51Escapee</dt><dd>Jan 31 2007&#44; 07:12 PM</dd></dl><div> Alright, it's official. Tank is in the playoffs and not SKoM afterall. We talked it over and it's ok. However, in the future, it's generally not wise to RP FOR YOUR OPPONENT&#33;&#33;&#33;

As for me, I fight Double Dose, Tank and Japanese School Girl first round. Two of them I beat in the regular season, and Tank I lost to. IN any event, this will be tough. [/quote]
But then again, Tank only beat Striker through a smart and suprising RP. That's not going to be easy twice =/

And ugh, did the two rammers and two spinners have to face eachother in SHW? At this rate we won't have our all rammer final like we should =(

Minion33088

Revolution Discussion

Post by Minion33088 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:12 am

So what about next season?

Awhile back after the advancedrobotcombat.com domain fell apart, I thought that ARCCON 06 might be our last hurray. But then Chris, Philip, and Josh breathed new life into our community with this new board and we started another tourney. When I first entered Revolution I didn't think we could keep going for all that long, but now it seems as though we've built up some steam. I was CADing some new/upgraded bots to use in the next tourney, and then I started thinking, are we even going to have another one?
For some reason, this round-robin thing really has me back into these RPGs. I think we can make it better yet, and I'm willing to help, whatever it takes.

So what about next season?

succotash_54

Revolution Discussion

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:58 am

I hope to be involved. Will I stay a writer? I dunno. Maybe.

I don't remember what we had slated as the name for the fifth season, but I recommed "Obliteration," though with my luck, that's what we had planned on all along.

As for bots...I was thinking I should totally do a team of gimmick bots with RP gimmicks. The Aristocrats would be back in the MW slot, with new teammates, including the lightweight That's Not What I Meant&#33;, Heavyweight 1'&#124;&#092;/&#124; &#036;0 1337, and Superheavyweight: 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01000010 01101111 01110100

(Binary Bot)

Siphai

Revolution Discussion

Post by Siphai » Sat Feb 03, 2007 3:52 am

Philip, I think I speak for all of us when I say...

don't be a dick =P

Anyway, I was thinking of starting up a simple tournament myself. The premise would be that you enter a robot in all four classes. However, you don't RP for anything. If you would RP, I would totally disregard it. I would take this tournament as a showing of which robot is the best, rather than the combination of the robot and RPer.

I was also thinking of doing something similar, except that I would provide the same robot for each person (like a simple wedge bot) and they would RP with it. This would show the best RPer.

Following up on the latter idea, I would make a different bot for each weight class. Like a wedgebot for LW, spinner for MW, flipper for HW, and, like, a thwackbot for SHW or something like that, since people are better with different kinds of designs. This way, we could see who's the best RPer for a certain kind of bot.

succotash_54

Revolution Discussion

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:33 am

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Siphai</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Philip, I think I speak for all of us when I say...

don't be a dick =P[/quote]

ROTFLMAO&#33; Yeah, that was a total joke. I haven't even gotten any new designs in mind yet.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Anyway, I was thinking of starting up a simple tournament myself. The premise would be that you enter a robot in all four classes. However, you don't RP for anything. If you would RP, I would totally disregard it. I would take this tournament as a showing of which robot is the best, rather than the combination of the robot and RPer. [/quote] I could actually *possibly* get behind something like this on the grounds that there be more than one judge actually deciding the outcome of EACH FIGHT. Each fight would require at least two or three judges weighing in. Otherwise, what you end up is the Predictions/Spreads being the results, and in many cases, I wrote results that ended up being the opposite of what I predicted.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>I was also thinking of doing something similar, except that I would provide the same robot for each person (like a simple wedge bot) and they would RP with it. This would show the best RPer.[/quote] Hot clone on clone action...

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>Following up on the latter idea, I would make a different bot for each weight class. Like a wedgebot for LW, spinner for MW, flipper for HW, and, like, a thwackbot for SHW or something like that, since people are better with different kinds of designs. This way, we could see who's the best RPer for a certain kind of bot.[/quote] Slightly intriguing, actually.

succotash_54

Revolution Discussion

Post by succotash_54 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:41 am

Ok, since John asked that we just reuse the same RPs for his playoff fights, we can basically say that half of the RPs are in. Let's see the other half soon&#33;

Also, for those fighting John (including myself), I would actually recommend NOT rereading his RP from your previous fight. Reread your own RP, reread that result, reread both bot descriptions, and adjust from that, but I would really discourage even reading his previous RP, since just reading it provides the temptation to base your RP off that. And since he's using the same ones, this creates a gray area of debunking vs. past history. I know we don't want to deal with it. I believe that my RP follows this guideline.

Fish Of Doom

Revolution Discussion

Post by Fish Of Doom » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:29 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>succotash_54</dt><dd>Feb 3 2007&#44; 09:41 AM</dd></dl><div> Reread your own RP [/quote]
This would be helpful if he hadn't gone back and deleted the opponents rps from those fights. Mine were anyways, I don't know about anyone else's.

Minion33088

Revolution Discussion

Post by Minion33088 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:38 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Fish Of Doom</dt><dd>Feb 3 2007&#44; 06:29 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>succotash_54</dt><dd>Feb 3 2007&#44; 09:41 AM</dd></dl><div> Reread your own RP [/quote]
This would be helpful if he hadn't gone back and deleted the opponents rps from those fights. Mine were anyways, I don't know about anyone else's. [/quote]
You mean both RP's for the fight are gone, or your's just isn't there? If it's the former, it could just be archived, but I'm sure you thought of that.