Ideas for the Future of Vapourbots

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:31 pm

This account is in a state of dimensional flux

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:58 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Jun 21 2013&#44; 04:31 PM</dd></dl><div> Worth a read... [/quote]
Kinda... But ARC tournaments have always been run dramatically different from FRA ones.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>2) Reservation Issues[/quote]
From what I've gathered a lot of FRA tournements (run by the same person at least) are direct continuations of each other so X amount of bots get "automatically" entered in the next tournament. Couple this with the fact that Tactics/RPs are for all intents and purposes optional on FRA I could've entered a bot in a 2006 tournament and now we could be on the Yth iteration of that tournament in 2013 with me never having looked at it again, but I'm still in because my bot is that awesome.

In ARC every tournament is essentially independant of every other one and pretty much all challengers are welcome.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>3) Tournament Size[/quote]
ARC has always had deadlines for entries so that part is really exclusive to FRA tournaments.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>4) On Otherweights and Other SideGames[/quote]
Now this one is REALLY exclusive to FRA and one area where I think the lean towards being as close to real-life as possible hurts. Basically FRA put itself in the position where HW's were the only real viable class so yeah, I can see that getting stale after awhile. Of course the way that section is written it comes off as people seeing "otherweights" as nothing but side attractions to HW's... ugh.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>5) Ghost Writing[/quote]
I'm just going to say it... Writing Staff > Solo.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>6) Stat Location[/quote]
Yeah people just having there own sites with stats is confusing as hell. Sign up threads aren't too much of a bother are they?
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:20 pm

Worth a read alright, but for those here that have no experience with the FRA I do wish to stress what is said there is very FRA-centric and could not be applied on ARC just like that.

FRA was always a bit more hit and miss than ARC in my opinion. Tournaments by individual writers all over the place (or, often, and very much right now, a lack thereof) within all kinds of sizes and structures and whatnot. Writers write pretty much when they can be arsed to. On the FRA HW's have also always been much more popular then anything else, unlike on ARC. Furthermore we use tactics/RP's loosely. Writers do not demand them, and when they are not there, there is no forfeit, but the writer decides for the person that entered the spinner that said spinner will quite likely attempt to spin.

Just giving a bit of information to those who read Kody's thread from an ARC-perspective so that everyone knows where Alex Holt is coming from. The man does have interesting points.