Ruination: The Beginning - Pre-Season Predictions

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Badnik96

Post by Badnik96 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:38 pm

Predictions: (note I'm not picking myself as that would be unfair)

Lightweight

Champion: Anti-Virus 4.0
It's one of only two bricks in the LW class this time, and between the two Kody's looks better in terms of design. Look for the wedge and spikes to be a devastating combination, especially considering the lackluster robots and spinners that take up most of the rest of the class (note I said most, Lian :P)

Runner-Up: The Servant's Assistant

Always an effective design, TSA has only been kept from a title because of Dylan's great RP skills. Without D-REZ in this tournament to stop him, I'm thinking The Servant's Assistant will defeat everything in its path on its way to its first title, but the better design and RP skills of Kody and Anti-Virus will prevail in the end.

Dark Horse: Psyclone

Between its near-impenetrable armor and its destructive weapon, Psyclone will be a force to be reckoned with in this competition. The only things I really see that can stop it are the aforementioned two and Pyrite (:P).

Middleweight

Champion: Stingray

Another Force Feedback-style bot, and we all know how that went. I'm expecting this robot to dent up everything and take home the title. I expect those forks will be tough to deal with too.

Runner-Uo: Braveheart

The only truly "New" robot for NFX (as Frequency was entered into Lian's failed tourney). The wedge/thwack is a tried-and-true design which shouldn't let Nick down here. Only issue I see is the solid wedges, but I still see Braveheart make the final.

Dark Horse: Hubris
Yes, GF93 gets a second dark horse nomination. It's got a deadly-looking flipper and a nasty rear drum to boot, how can you not see this thing going far? Combine that with good RP skills and you've got a great design right there. Only problem I see is that the spinners could rip it a new one (Except for Brother of Whyachi XD).

Heavyweight

Champion: Kraze

It went undefeated until the final week of FRR, what else do I have to say? Very surprised it didn't take the title last time, and it's such a hard robot to fight with its ingenious suction fan design. I expect NFX will wrap up his very first title this season.

Runner-Up: Parasite

Unpredictably fast and destructive to boot. Even other spinners will have trouble fighting this guy, let alone some of the wedges/flippers. Parasite made the Armageddon finals last time it competed, look for it to make it here again.

Dark Horse: Cutie Honey

Despite going from Ripper to a slow spiked lifter, it still looks effective. Those spikes are going to be a force to be reckoned with. The 1 wedge effectiveness is going to bring it down a lot, especially against the other wedgebots.

Superheavyweights

Champion: Agent X

Since I can't pick Phantasmic Slammer, just imagine he's here instead. Agent X did just badly enough to miss out on a playoff spot last time, this time with the improvements it should do well. Only problem i see is the weak chassis armor, if a spinner gets back there it's bust.

Runner-Up: Tax Cutter
It's got a vicious spinner, and one that won a rumble earlier in its career. If it can stand up to 6+superheavies it can stand up to one just fine, but there are a bunch of robots (see above for two) that will be able to beat it.

Dark Horse: Sphere O' Fear

It's a new, unique take on the old spinner design and one that gives it a lowness to be reckoned with. Look for this to take out the other spinners and some wedges. Only problem I see is it can't turn when inverted, so it will lose out to robots like Agent X and Lethal Injection.
Team Ignition
Redline: Robot Bastards 1 LW champ
Pyrite: FRR Backlash LW champ
The Debilitator: Cherry Bomb Classic 1 LW champ
Sling Shot: Bot O' Rama 2016 Sportsman champ
Doomerang: Robot Fight Night HW champ

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Interesting to see that I've got two Dark Horse entries, Badnik- hopefully I can deliver with the predictions, but I'm certainly not going to let you beat Psyclone :D
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Very nice predictions Badnik. :)

I'm going to list some underdogs here as well:

LW

Psyclone
He's not necessarily a bad design, but he'll find it hard to keep up with the very fast bricks in Annoying Box Rush, Anti-Virus, Pyrite, and The Servant's Assistant. Not to mention the spinners of Dr. Robotnik and Frequency have the range to keep Psyclone away from their main bodies. Claiming the LW Crown is not an easy task, but GF93 will have to work very hard here if he wants Psyclone to win it all.

MW

WhipCoil 3.2
He has the armour to deal with some spinners, and that weaponry certainly looks cool. The main concern is with his speed. Even spinners like Rooster Teeth and Luna are faster, and Braveheart not only has a massive speed/traction advantage, but a wedge advantage as well. Badnik needs to be very aggressive here against the spinners, but also some controlled aggression against Braveheart, Hubris, and Stingray.

HW

Cutie Honey
A crazy-fast brick, almost a "big sister" to Anti-Virus, except with a flipper. The major thing that will hurt Honey is the wedge effectiveness of 1. Bots like Kraze, Terminal Velocity, and Camo Alert all absolutely destroy her in terms of that stat and, while Honey isn't exactly weak, she will find it very hard to control her opponents.

SHW

Agent X
This guy is another brick, and with a nice looking lifter, but faster bots like Phantasmic Slammer can take advantage and dodge the lifter's wedge of 8, and it's quite possible even Lethal Injection could beat it with its forks' range and higher weapon power. The nice thing Agent X does have going for it though is armour boost, which he gets from both the plow (though lowering his body armour) and from the lifter, but Hector LeMans and Tax Cutter, also faster bots, can play keep-away and keep hitting the armour without having to worry about a retaliation. Even Sphere O' Fear poses a problem due to its very high weapon and armour values, and an almost equal speed. NFX will have his work cut out for him here.
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:29 pm

*Reads Bandnik's predictions*

Aw hell...
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:07 am

LW:

Yeah, so this season LW is more of a miniture version of the usual SHW spinner/rammer fued rather than its typical showcase for more interesting designs. It's tough as hell to predict.

1. Frequency: It
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:58 am

MW:

A bit more diverse than we usually see in in MW. This is really anyone's game with no clear dominate design.

1. Hubris: A powerful flipper with a really low wedge. I

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:35 am

HW:

Flip or Spin baby, Flip or Spin.

1. Parasite: This is ridiculous. Fast, hilariously powerful. God have mercy on the rest of us.
The Good: What isn

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:06 pm

SHW:

Spinners and rammers(wedges). What else is new?

1. Agent X: a.k.a. NFX is a cheap bastard.
The Good: Super wedgey and versatile .
The Bad: It could be a bit faster.
The Ugly: Your chances against him.

2. Tax Cutter: Fess up Kody. You stole this thing from Lucius Fox.
The Good: It

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:18 pm

Nice predictions Josh! I'll give input for what I think the Finals will be as well. :)

LW
The Servant's Assistant vs. Dr. Robotnik

MW
Rooster Teeth vs. Braveheart

HW
Kraze vs. Parasite

SHW
Tax Cutter vs. Phantasmic Slammer

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>MW
Rooster Teeth vs. Braveheart[/quote]
It's a Sarge-like career turnaround for Tooths-lol&#33;

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>HW
Kraze vs. Parasite[/quote]
Parasite is one mean motherfucker.

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:24 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Jan 2 2013&#44; 12:22 PM</dd></dl><div> Parasite is one mean motherfucker. [/quote]
No arguments here.

NFX

Post by NFX » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Definitely one tough SOB. But as Tank showed, not unbeatable.

I'll get some predictions in, just to get something up. May or may not be totally wrong with all of them.

----LW----
Winner: Dr. Robotnik
Runner-Up: Anti-Virus
Semi-Finalists: Annoying Box Rush, The Servant's Assistant

----MW----
Winner: Luna
Runner-Up: Braveheart
Semi-Finalists: Hubris, Rooster Teeth

----HW----
Winner: Revolver Ocelot
Runner-Up: Kraze
Semi-Finalists: Parasite, Empty Inside

----SHW----
Winner: Tax Cutter
Runner-Up: Phantasmic Slammer
Semi-Finalists: Agent X, Lethal Injection
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:41 pm

Let's see here. Winners = Me, Kody, Me, Kody.

I c what you did thar. :P

Nah, j/k. Looks pretty solid.

prince palatine

Post by prince palatine » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:45 pm

I'm pretty surprised that TSA is one of the favourites for this tournament. and by Kody's predictions (If it does happen) it'll be TSA vs Dr Robotnik take 4 (Due to fighting in the league before the playoffs) I hope I can even the score as best I can, being 0-2 against him.

Without further ado here are my top four picks for each category

LWs

Winner: Anti-Virus
Pretty solid design that should plow through the opposition on it's way towards the crown, would be surprised if it does not make the play offs at least.

Runner Up: Frequency
The AMP clone should be able to tear through anything in it's path this season, NFX has put it's stats together very well and should be a serious contender

Semi-Finalist 1: The Servants Assistant
Despite Kody's praise for the design it seems, I am very skeptical about where I will end up, hopefully will reach the play offs, but will be toppled by Frequency in the end

Semi-Finalist 2: Tie between Dr Robotnik and Pyrite
Dr Robotnik is a tough motherfucker with that blade, I've been on the receiving end of twice and came out the loser, he should do well this season. But on the other hand, Pyrite is a fast fucker who will provide a shit load of trouble to bots who arent wary, but without a wedge, he can be taken down.

One to watch: Psyclone
GF93 enters a deadly ring spinner into the competition, looks the part and should dish out some serious damage. But speed is a factor here, and that could hurt him.

MW's

Winner: Braveheart
The reason? He's one fast tough son of a bitch, that's the fucking reason&#33; He can ram and thwack his way to the final, but without much protection on the top, that could be a major worry

Runner Up: Rooster-Teeth
The veteran returns after a long absence, it's a deadly looking spinner to boot which I'm sure will give the new breed of opponents a good run for their money, but I think Braveheart will outlast it in the end

Semi-Finalist 1: Hubris
It may mean arrogance, but if this bot can back it up in it's performances, maybe it has a little right to be. Very low to the ground with a good wedge and weaponry, but I think Braveheart will be the one to defeat him.

Semi-Finalist 2: Luna
Kody's ring spinner enters to fuck shit up and look good doing it, should do very well in the league, but I think Rooster Teeth will top it in the end.

One to watch: Whipcoil
With every passing season, Badnik and Whipcoil just get better and better, Whipcoil barely missed out in ARC: Armageddon and put in some good performances in FRR, only time will tell if it can make it to the elite four this season.

HW's

Winner: Parasite
Nick(Spatula) enters a very solid veteran from season past to kick some ass, should tear it's way into the finals and should hopefully take the crown.

Runner Up: Kraze
Kraze is fucking crazy&#33; With wedges everywhere, flamboyant colours and a lethal flipper, it should smash it's way into the final, but Parasite should pick up the win in the end

Semi-Finalist 1: Terminal Velocity
A very solid flipper design that should do fantastically well and pull off some resounding wins and a few upsets, but Parasite may beat him down in the end. (Random factoid, Terminal Velocity bears a striking resemblance to the Original version of The Servants Assistant, which got scrapped due to the fact I didn't know how to do the FRA style stats for it)

Semi-Finalist 2: Revolver Ocelot (AKA Revolve Her Ass A Lot)
Very fucking lethal undercutting spinning bar that should take no prisoners on it's way to the play offs, but Kraze should be able to blow it out of the water.

One to watch: Cutie Honey
Speed demon with good armor and traction, but with it's 1 wedge, that could be it's downfall, especially in this category

SHW's

Winner: Tax Cutter
What can I say Kody? Other than fuck you for making such a very difficult bot to beat XD&#33; Should tear it's way through all comers. nuff said.

Runner Up: Agent-X (Which will now refer to as Anal Sex)
NFX is another one of those sly bastards who I have to take my hat off too. Fantastic design and should be able to get the finals no problem.

Semi-Finalist 1: Phantasmic Slammer
The bot that bears a strong resemblance to Inflammatory Slammer made the play offs in it's last tournament, so there should be no excuse for not making it this time, such a deadly bot.

Semi-Finalist 2: Thief Pheonic (Dr Thwack)
Much better allocated stats should make for a more better version this season, though I have many opponents to worry about, such as Agent X and Lethal Injection. Main thing for me though is to just put on a show and least break even or end with a winning record and break my SHW curse this season

One to watch: Lethal Injection
Another strong competitor, much like Thief Pheonic, has better allocated stats than last season to make for a stronger more reliable bot. Wether it cuts the mustard here comes down to who he faces.

BEES

Post by BEES » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:56 pm

Predictions
Well without Alex M, Dylan, or Phillip this time, I think my odds just got 90% better in all weight classes. I will put ~seriouseffort~ in and try to win a championship on this site before it closes, and have more than one bot do well for once.

LW
It's funny how one year the lightweights are all pushybots and the next year they're all spinners. It does look like the stats are slightly more favorable to spinners than they were in ARC Armageddon. Pushers have to burn some stat points on wedges and torque. Perhaps that's what caused it. I see this as a good thing so no complaints here. Bricks were OP in Armageddon.

I think one thing some of us caught on to was that with 30 possible stat points, the amount of points you should put on a spinner's weapon needs to be a little higher. Where 10 and 11 were effective before, now the 12-14 range seems more appropriate. I'm not sure how all the spinners here with 12 W will fare against 8 armor wedges this time. It depends on the writer's interpretation I guess.

1 - The Servant's Assistant - a lot of people are sensing potential here, and I am as well. 9 armor will make it effective against the spinners, but it could have issues with Anti-Virus and ABR due to the lower speed.
2 - Annoying Box Rush - I think I have a winner, but its placement is contingent upon whether I can make a good case for the forks in my first couple RPs.
3 - Anti-Virus - all around effective; it's Kody of course. But the weak invertibility and lots of dangly parts to grab onto could hurt it. Also, curiously low wedge stat.
4 - Dr Robotnik - of the spinners, I think this one has the range, and invertibility, and auxiliary wedge to give it that extra little something to make it stand out.
5 - Frequency - solid, proven type of design. Better range than Psychlone, potential to damage or at least deflect the other top contenders. Speed and invertibility are issues that prevent me from giving it a higher slot, even though I like it.
6 - Pyrite - The issue with Pyrite is its lack of versatility. If it had an overkill-wedge and a hammer that could thwack overhead as well as side to side (both sides, not just one), it might be something.
7 - Psychlone - wasted stat points on the outer ring--which was already protected well by the weapon stat.
8 - Trans Europe Express - what am I even looking at? Whatever it is, it looks like it can just fall on its side and get stuck.
9 - Tartarus - tater tots :v:

MW
1 - Braveheart - weak invertibility would hurt it but it has no opponents that could flip it.
2 - Rooster Teeth - not as pretty as Luna, but the higher speed stat gives it an edge, I think.
3 - Hammer and Nails - decent wedge. The axe could actually damage a lot of bots seeing as nobody bothers with top armor these days :dawg:
4 - Luna - Kody has a very compelling spinner here. 14 W is hard for anything to survive. The only flaw could be that it doesn't have the speed to justify those traction points.
5 - Stingray - I can see that the problem I'll have will be high wedge stats of some competitors; thinking about ways to get around this.
6 - Hubris - At first glance I thought it would win everything, but the low armor stat will cost it. The blade on the back is basically useless and takes up stat points from other things.
7 - Whipcoil - If I understand what I'm looking at correctly, this actually could be a very effective design. Looks sort of like Voltronic. However, 1 less wedge point will kill it against Braveheart and Hubris.
8 - Brother of Whyachi - low weapon stat makes it a harmless hockey puck.
9 - Anthracks - suffers a similar problem to TEE: getting stuck on its side. That 8W disc is also useless. The more I look at it, the worse and worse it gets.

HW
1 - Parasite - I feel very guilty and bad putting my own robot here. That's not kosher, and I will be losing many roboteering karma points for predicting myself as 1st. I really, really want to say someone else has an edge--that someone else should be 1st, but... I'm just not seeing it. Where is the counter? There isn't one. There are two robots that could potentially do it, but both of them seem to have an uphill fight.
2 - Revolver Ocelot - a great spinner in its own right. It is the robot I am most concerned about, but I think the weapon really should've gotten another point for the new stat system.
3 - Empty Inside - very good principles going into this bot, but the grade of the wedged sides is too steep, so spinners will be able to deflect it and damage it. The little tiny hinged skirts are just gonna break off like kit kat bars.
4 - Kraze - this is a cool bot and I will definitely pay close attention to its fights. I think with some refinements to the stats it could be champion material in future competitions, but right now it's too slow, and it needs chamfered edges to survive high power spinners.
5 - Malevolence - the only power axe in the competition. I can respect it for being an axe, but it lacks the range it needs to be properly effective.
6 - Terminal Velocity - very sleek flipper, but I can think of four serious problems that it has, and those would be the number of armor points. All 4 of them.
7 - Cutie Honey - I thought it was awesome at first until I noticed it had 1 wedge point. Maybe Kody knows something that I don't, but until he proves it in his fights I'm going to remain skeptical.
8 - Wanderlust - that's a big drum. I like the big drum idea, and it's got kind of a Pinpoint thing going on with the plate in front of it.... but I think it could've been implemented better.
9 - Thorny Devil II - again, poorly allocated stats. I suspect Sylandro will be back with better stat numbers next time.

SHW
1 - Agent X - I'm seeing a lot of good things about it, and very few bad things about it.
2 - Tax Cutter's Revenge - That wheelbase will give it good control for turning, the weapon is low and should be effective. The speed is what I really like about it though. Fast spinners are just too good.
3 - Lethal Injection - Liking the range on that weapon. The main flaw I see is that it looks like it could simply be outwedged by Agent X, and the speed should be higher, for what it is.
4 - Phantasmic Slammer - good speed, decent enough armor, but not much to go on from the image.
5 - Doc Thwack - should this thing have its post doc by now? It has good range but the height of the weapon gives some opponents the chance to get in, and the lack of speed means it can't do much to stop that.
6 - Banshee - a newcomer that actually has decent stats, but could still use some refinement.
7 - Sphere O' Fear - I shouldn't tell everyone else this, but I think this design is very impractical. Yes it has good armor and power, but I'm concerned about how top-heavy it is. I mean, think about where all the components are, and where the force from the blade is going to be delivered internally. I'll redesign it in the future to fix that problem, but in its current form I think it's going to fail except against bots with obviously weak armor.
8 - Punch&#33; - pretty decent Sparkeybot actually. Its chief flaw is its speed.
9 - Hector LeMans - I kinda miss Cian :( This thing should've been a drum. As separate discs, each of them will be weakened because the energy transferred between them only goes through the central axle, instead of the farthest edge on the center of rotation.