FRR Dead Zone - The Spreads Thread

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Fish Of Doom

Post by Fish Of Doom » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:12 pm

There really isn't anything to clarify. If he wanted that to be an official rule, he could have put it in the sign up or rules thread and PM'd the people who already entered bots that didn't comply, not make some random post on page whatever of any unrelated thread, insuring that several people missed the memo.

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Oct 22 2011&#44; 12:10 PM</dd></dl><div> In fairness, there wasn't anything in the official rules that mentioned Torque being required to move. I think if we have it that if you have 0 Torque, you can move the robot's own weight, but nothing more. So if you come up against an opponent, you won't be able to push it at all. [/quote]
That how I interpreted it in the sign up thread.

I changed my entry, but I still don't think it's an official rule if Alex essentially mumbles it. I didn't read every page of the discussion thread, so I guess I was screwed from the beginning.

NFX

Post by NFX » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:16 pm

That's how I interpreted it as well.

I don't really think it's an official rule either, but I did change it when it was mentioned. It was only Scatterbrain from my team that it affected, though.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle
Override - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 3 pts
MiDAS - Heats: 19 pts / Finals: 0 pts

it was a gigantic masturbation of polygons :v - That Kode Guy

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:39 pm

Somehow I feel responsible for this. Maybe I should have just ignored that post...ugh.
This account is in a state of dimensional flux

Fish Of Doom

Post by Fish Of Doom » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:12 pm

It doesn't matter, we changed our entries. I just wanted to make a point about if the rules are changed, it needs to be made VERY VERY obvious, not in a passing sentence fragment.

MadBull

Post by MadBull » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:24 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Oct 22 2011&#44; 08:39 PM</dd></dl><div> Somehow I feel responsible for this. Maybe I should have just ignored that post...ugh. [/quote]
reading this, you are hardly responsible Kody, it's a bit of an annoying situation

The rules on the main page and in the sign-up thread should be the ones that should be reliable, Dylan's right there. Seemingly with the coming of the the new FRR rules, instead of just putting up new rules, the old rules were kept unchanged and merely 1 new paragraph was thrown on top of that. The result is a rulebook that works MOST of the time but has contradictions sometimes, such as when the stat-system of walkers and clusterbots are still based on a maximum of 22 points (I've just taken a look on the main page and see this is still the case even though I've been told different rules in the discussion thread, I'm not sure why this hasn't been changed yet). Effectively this makes the rules on the main page unreliable sometimes. I would have personally just re-written the rules, copying and pasting stuff when deemed appropriate, but that's a different matter.

Personally, I was considering giving one of my machines 0 torque but decided against it because of Alex' remark against it.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:37 pm

As for the mutli rules not being updated on the main page, only Chris has access to that, and he's much busier than me.

Also, we weren't aiming for a complete overhaul of the rules so there was no need to completely re-write everything. In general a lot of the old stuff still applies.

Finally I'm not surprised we hit a snag with the rules. Every season you chuckleheads find some kind of discrepancy in the rules to make the staff look stupid. :P
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

NFX

Post by NFX » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:45 pm

You still haven't mentioned anything about Torque, which is what we were wondering about in the first place.

You could work for the government. =D

Personally, I thought that 0 Torque just meant that you were completely unable to push the opponent. Every robot should at least be able to move its own weight, regardless of how much push it has. For isntance, a big spinner such as Hypno-Disc couldn't really push for crap, but it still moved properly.
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

Braveheart / Crash Blossom / Depth Charge / Broken Ghost / Murder Death Unit / Agent X

RoBattle

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:50 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Oct 22 2011&#44; 07:45 PM</dd></dl><div>For isntance, a big spinner such as Hypno-Disc couldn't really push for crap, but it still moved properly.[/quote]
Series 5 would like to object. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp1IpnUgwUU

[incidentally, how do you embed videos here? ugh]

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:09 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Oct 22 2011&#44; 07:45 PM</dd></dl><div> Personally, I thought that 0 Torque just meant that you were completely unable to push the opponent. Every robot should at least be able to move its own weight, regardless of how much push it has. For isntance, a big spinner such as Hypno-Disc couldn't really push for crap, but it still moved properly. [/quote]
Yeah, I was pretty much working on this. With Traction in play, Torque doesn't really affect your ability to move yourself.
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

NFX

Post by NFX » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:15 pm

So zero torque robots are fine? Right, that's good to be quantified. =)

And that was some fairly decent pushing by Hypno-Disc, but it wasn't exactly Behemoth or Tornado, was it?
Team Mongoose (358-215)
"The Colour of Awesome"

RoBattle

NWOWWE

Post by NWOWWE » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:17 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Oct 22 2011&#44; 08:15 PM</dd></dl><div> So zero torque robots are fine? Right, that's good to be quantified. =) [/quote]
Fine? Yes. Recommended? No, not so much.

GF93
Team: Ice Cubed Robotics

Post by GF93 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:33 pm

Right, that's my SHW battle strategy sorted out. One down, three to go.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

That Kode Guy

Post by That Kode Guy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:53 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Oct 22 2011&#44; 08:15 PM</dd></dl><div> And that was some fairly decent pushing by Hypno-Disc, but it wasn't exactly Behemoth or Tornado, was it? [/quote]
No, but Hypno-Disc can indeed push, so don't count it out. ;P

GF93

Post by GF93 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:07 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Oct 22 2011&#44; 07:53 PM</dd></dl><div> <blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NFX</dt><dd>Oct 22 2011&#44; 08:15 PM</dd></dl><div> And that was some fairly decent pushing by Hypno-Disc, but it wasn't exactly Behemoth or Tornado, was it? [/quote]
No, but Hypno-Disc can indeed push, so don't count it out. ;P [/quote]
Yeah. Likewise, there was Pussycat in Series 3- it didn't look like it could do so, but it did OK in pushing Hammerhead and Scutter's Revenge around.
ICE³ ROBOTICS
"Tougher than a glacier, more might than an avalanche, more fury than a blizzard, and more burning passion than a volcano."

GF93

Post by GF93 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:16 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>KodeBreaker</dt><dd>Oct 22 2011&#44; 02:36 AM</dd></dl><div> Bulletproof Bomb vs. Slasher

WILL GF93 GET HIS REVENGE??? Um...not this time. Slasher's wedge effectiveness, boi...not to mention BB has 5 body armour.

Slasher = 75% [/quote]
Although, I think this might be stretching it a bit. Sure he has a better wedge than me, but I think that using my superior mobility, I can keep away from the end with the crusher.
It might be tricky, but I do think that it's certainly possible for me to win here, odds against it be damned.
ICE³ ROBOTICS