Post-ARC Rules. Suggestions?

Find all your ARC RPGs and fantasy leagues discussed here. We're good at this stuff.

Moderator: Tournament Hosts

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:04 am

I also added some amendments to the role playing rules:

ROLE PLAY RULES

In these leagues, we have always made it a priority to focus on both aspects of robotic combat: the design and the driver. A good driver with a poor design can beat a bad driver with a good design. This is why it is important to know the proper way to strategize and win a battle against a formidable opponent. First let

Fish Of Doom

Post by Fish Of Doom » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:18 pm

A good rule of thumb for rps is that they should be between 500-700 words. There is nothing you couldn't say under 700. Nick's HW rp for Parasite in the finals is 687 words and is like 10 times better than Joey's 1400 diatribe in the LW finals.

NWOWWE
Team: Team Blood Gulch

Post by NWOWWE » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:18 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>7. Do not spend too long talking about stats/design - RPs are your strategy. The writers here aren't stupid, they've been around for awhile and can see when a stat allocation is poor or a design simply won't work. Instead focus on what you plan to do during the fight.[/quote]
Yeah, I found myself getting pretty bad about that this past season, especially fighting designs I didn't like.
<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Quote:</dt><dd>&nbsp;</dd></dl><div>If you are RPing for a full-bodied spinner you honestly shouldn't have to write more than "spin up and hit him, while staying away from the walls."[/quote]
Hey now, you can get a little bit more creative than that with a FBS. :P

Chris came up with a good tactic with Great Red Spot against the Windmill that was more than just spin and hit.
Area51Escapee,Jan 30 2011 wrote:
Spatula,Jan 29 2011 wrote: I should go 3-1 this week but it'll probably be something like 0-4 or 0-5.
It sucks going 0-5. You lose all 4 of your bot fights for the week and you also lose at life.

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:40 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>NWOWWE</dt><dd>Apr 28 2011&#44; 05:18 PM</dd></dl><div> Hey now, you can get a little bit more creative than that with a FBS. :P

Chris came up with a good tactic with Great Red Spot against the Windmill that was more than just spin and hit. [/quote]
nah its fair enough. its more of a warning than anything else cause some people get ridiculous (myself included). i mean, like i said, if its something glaring but not obvious then yes please point it out. but if its something like "this guy has 1 armor and i have 20 weapon power" then yo udont need to post 1000 words about how you plan on driving at him

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Mon May 16, 2011 11:33 am

okay i said i was goign to post signups for MW and SHW but i lied. i wanted some dialogue for the rules first.

i was thinking myself and i felt like the thickness of the armor as depicted in teh picture should play some kind of role in the rules. i know it has bit some people in the past (amoeba's spikes, despite having an armor of like 11, bent in every match. automaton's triangle wedges were made out of paper, the mercenary back in annihilation was made a big deal of for his plow lifter being paper thin). what are people's thoughts on this?

personally i feel like once the armor is passed a certain threshold, a thin material shouldn't bend so much as snap (ie, heat treated steel, or whatever). it should still be able to withstand a certain threshold of damage. however it shouldn't be as resistant to damage as, say a thicker plow or something like that.

also im going to change omni wheel rules to require a minimum and maximum of 1 traction. 0 traction doesn't make sense and is at such an extreme level. compare it to 0 weapon on a spinner imo.

there was something else but i forgot it.

Fish Of Doom

Post by Fish Of Doom » Mon May 16, 2011 1:22 pm

Why do they need a maximum of 1 traction?

Siphai

Post by Siphai » Mon May 16, 2011 4:03 pm

<blockquote class='quote_blockquote'><dl><dt>Fish Of Doom</dt><dd>May 16 2011&#44; 01:22 PM</dd></dl><div> Why do they need a maximum of 1 traction? [/quote]
0 traction makes no sense at all, and to have a max of anything over like 2 i guess would invalidate regular wheels. idk. maybe you had a better number in mind?

Fish Of Doom

Post by Fish Of Doom » Mon May 16, 2011 11:43 pm

I think Max 4 would be better. 1 traction is basically useless as well.

That Kode Guy
Team: Dissonance-Tek

Post by That Kode Guy » Tue May 17, 2011 12:48 am

My addition to this debate:

If the robot is fully motivated by omni-wheels and no 'regular' wheels, 1 traction no matter what

If the robot has both omni-wheels and regular wheels (half n half), and both sets are powered, maximum of 4 traction like Dylan said

unpowered omni-wheels don't affect it
This account is in a state of dimensional flux